College Basketball

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
Any college Bball fans on here?

Just winding down from that tough Gophers loss and having a hard time swallowing the 0-3 pill in the B1G. Just following suit of being so hard to be a MN sports fan. With that said, man that was a fun game at the Barn tonight...rough team to watch tho

Yea we are big basketball fans at our house. Unfortunately our Husker teams are not having great seasons this year. :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure why, as I've always been really bad at the sport, but I've been a big fan of college BB since my 8th grade yr, when I started watching Badger BB games tape delayed on PBS. Ever since, I've watched every Badgers BB game I could, which has been somewhere over half. I really enjoy college BB, but pro BB bores the snot out of me. Even during the playoffs, I just can't get myself to even watch a 5 min stretch...Like finger nails down a chalk board, for me.

I'm not sure why, as I've always been really bad at the sport, but I've been a big fan of college BB since my 8th grade yr, when I started watching Badger BB games tape delayed on PBS. Ever since, I've watched every Badgers BB game I could, which has been somewhere over half. I really enjoy college BB, but pro BB bores the snot out of me. Even during the playoffs, I just can't get myself to even watch a 5 min stretch...Like finger nails down a chalk board, for me.
I agree Steve, Pro hoops makes me throw up a little bit every time I flip past a game on TV. I do love the college game though. Grew up driving up to UW-SP watching the Pointers play, one of my best friend's older brothers was a student body "advisor" or some such thing and could get us tickets all the time even though we were just in high school. Those were the Dick Bennett/Terry Porter days. A lot of good BB played in those days and who was I to argue when as a high school junior/senior I got to hang out with college chicks!?!;) :D

The NBA produced a very good "product" back then stu. My favorite player has always been Hakeem Olajuwon both when he played for Phi Slamma Jamma at the University of Houston with Clyde "the Glide" Drexler and when he played for the Rockets in the NBA, I pretty much quit watching when he retired. BTW, only 70 days until March Madness begins!!!

Me Too, but only when my team covers!:D

Remember good coaches win.......but great coaches cover!;)
As low scoring as their games are, I bet you don't put much money on the Badgers then! lol Maybe if you bet the Over/Under?

UW is averaging 75 ppg this year. Not exactly the badger teams of old. 74 ppg last year.

Was thinking the same thing....This team isn't the Steve Yoder (teams that had next to no talent) and Dick B/earlier Bo Ryan (good role players, not many great scorers) teams of days gone by. They are good role players that can mostly all score. These guys really are ranked #4 for a reason. They play D, don't turn the ball over AND put up good numbers.

I have gone to gamble on the NCAA tourney 31 out of the last 35 years in sin city. There is nothing better than taking a dog like Morehead State, a 13 to Cover the Spread against Louisville, a 4, for a huge pay day in the first round of the 2011 tourny. And then they beat them out right! Hahahahahahahahahaha! It is some of the most fun a guy can have in that city with his clothes on!:D
We went 3 years ago for Thursday to Sunday. It was my first time there it was unreal. I stayed at the Vienitan, got there Thursday morning never went outside till the bus came Sunday afternoon. I lost at the first black jack table I played, did not loose another sit the entire trip. I would go bet the current round of games and then go play blackjack and watch them. Repeat, repeat, repeat, for 4 days. Throw in free drinks and hot chicks everywhere, Sin City is the perfect name.

Grew up driving up to UW-SP watching the Pointers play, one of my best friend's older brothers was a student body "advisor" or some such thing and could get us tickets all the time even though we were just in high school. Those were the Dick Bennett/Terry Porter days. A lot of good BB played in those days and who was I to argue when as a high school junior/senior I got to hang out with college chicks!?!;) :D

That must have been a blast, on all sorts of levels. Must admit to being a smidge envious.

We had a ton of good times.;) For the weekend games we would just crash up at his brothers place. Lots of winning = lots of partying after the games. They had a pretty dominant sports program all the way around during those years, the football team was always in the hunt at that time and I just about went there to play baseball myself post high school, but I couldn't decide on what I wanted to be when I grew up(I know I am a dumba$$):rolleyes:, so I dropped the ball on that one.:mad: The only thing that was even somewhat inconvenient was driving back the hour and a half when we went up for a weeknight game and had school the next day.

Was thinking the same thing....This team isn't the Steve Yoder (teams that had next to no talent) and Dick B/earlier Bo Ryan (good role players, not many great scorers) teams of days gone by. They are good role players that can mostly all score. These guys really are ranked #4 for a reason. They play D, don't turn the ball over AND put up good numbers.

I no more say this and they beat Purdue playing Dick B/earlier Bo type ball in a relatively low scoring slugfest.

Purdue definitely played a huge role and frankly dictated how the game would be played, but the Badgers sure didn't go light on the physicality factor, either. In fact, I thought we got a little home cooking from the refs (went both ways on some iffy fouls/no calls, but it sure seemed like we generally got more of the benefit of the doubt than Purdue).

Purdue definitely played a huge role and frankly dictated how the game would be played, but the Badgers sure didn't go light on the physicality factor, either. In fact, I thought we got a little home cooking from the refs (went both ways on some iffy fouls/no calls, but it sure seemed like we generally got more of the benefit of the doubt than Purdue).
I would say so considering Bucky shot 30+ free throws to Purdue's 7. That would have been a very different game had Bucky not shot a pathetic 21% from beyond the arch.

true, and we have built a rep for playing D that way. along with that generally comes more benefits of the doubt than other teams may recieve (particularly when playing @ home).

agreed, and i'm sure not complaining about it. there was a really long stretch where bucky was wearing the other shoe. a whole bunch of games against the spartans come to mind, in that regard. i'm enjoying bucky getting the benefit of being the media darling for a change.

Better Dead Than Red...I hate Wisconsin. I hate Badgers. I hate Frank. Cheering for whatever team they are playing, because I hate the Grinch(Bo). Sorry, I'm in the hating mood today and being a typical MN sports fan! :oops:

Smallchunck has a problem.

Oh trust me....my hate for Iowa is there too! When they have a player like Woodbury, they are easy to hate!

The Husker men and women both win tonight! Both games were on tv so it kept the remote busy flipping back and forth.

Bucky's trial by fire begins Feb 24th at Maryland. Those last 4 regular season games will tell the tale. Not saying they won't maybe drop a game before then, but those are all key matchups leading right into the B1G tourney and the Big Dance.