Bucksnort Franken Tree

sandbur

5 year old buck +
This seedling had tiny bird crabs, so I converted some of it’s branches with scion from Bucksnort. I like the location as well.
fd5886726c9a03d4cf329a00d81dee1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of his varieties had somewhat reddish wood. Looks interesting.
9bc9b60e0b837879237aa65cbdbbeaa8.jpg

Looks like another potential winner! Is Bucksnort another Dolgo seedling?

Here’s a picture of the fruit from that tree, started dropping mid-late October and into November.
View attachment 29458

Do you have some seed germinating? If so and you need to thin them, consider bronze leaves might be red flesh.

Cider makers might like that one, especially if the apples were slightly bigger.

d3ba358a5efe75725652561620121fed.jpg

Here is the wood from a Crabby Crisp where I selected for bronze leaves while thinning. I cut this back on April 20 before transplanting, but did try to use it for scion. Collected too late, I know.

I did use add two of Bucksnort’s Red October and two of Crabby Crisp Red to a franken tree I have in the Outback.

This year, I have some open pollinated seeds from Kinderkrisp and Almata that are just emerging.

Almata is a red flesh.

636d3055f314e3186e84881241aa8e8a.jpg

I have a couple redfield crab apple that may have apples this year. They are supposed to have red flesh and are a larger apple. Don’t know why I find the red flesh apples interesting but I do.

Do you have some seed germinating? If so and you need to thin them, consider bronze leaves might be red flesh.

Cider makers might like that one, especially if the apples were slightly bigger.

Funny, I just snapped this picture of seedlings that just popped up this week. There are some Dolgo seeds mixed in as well. Interesting color variation in them! 9A354990-F6FF-4618-BFDD-2EFE105CE297.jpeg

I have a couple redfield crab apple that may have apples this year. They are supposed to have red flesh and are a larger apple. Don’t know why I find the red flesh apples interesting but I do.

The red flesh I have are more of a novelty and not particularly tasty. They color cider and are supposedly high er in antiboxidants.
I also topworked some scion from a larger red splendor seedling. Thanks to Freeborn for those scion.

And thanks to Kyle for this scion.

Funny, I just snapped this picture of seedlings that just popped up this week. There are some Dolgo seeds mixed in as well. Interesting color variation in them! View attachment 29459

At the stage shown is where I started thinning and left the red ones.

Could you snap a picture of Red October when it blooms?

Funny, I just snapped this picture of seedlings that just popped up this week. There are some Dolgo seeds mixed in as well. Interesting color variation in them! View attachment 29459

My seedlings are just emerging.

Did you stratify seed in the fridge or just outside and let nature do it?
cb1cdecd45f6ca731d5dc694456b5e5c.jpg

Blooms on the red field are pretty purty, too. Mine was in full bloom two days ago, regretfully I didn’t take any pictures.

Blooms on the red field are pretty purty, too. Mine was in full bloom two days ago, regretfully I didn’t take any pictures.
Hopefully I will have some when mine bloom in 3 weeks

The red flesh I have are more of a novelty and not particularly tasty. They color cider and are supposedly high er in antiboxidants.
I also topworked some scion from a larger red splendor seedling. Thanks to Freeborn for those scion.

And thanks to Kyle for this scion.

The red color makes sense for antioxidants...just like pomegranates.

The seeds you sent me went in the fridge. These seeds were planted last fall and nature did its thing. That worked so well that I won’t be taking up space in the fridge anymore. And if you ask my wife she’d tell you I’m crazy and already have too many trees! :emoji_grin:

The seeds you sent me went in the fridge. These seeds were planted last fall and nature did its thing. That worked so well that I won’t be taking up space in the fridge anymore. And if you ask my wife she’d tell you I’m crazy and already have too many trees! :emoji_grin:

‘Better to have too many trees than to have too many wives!’

I never did the fridge thing with apple seeds.

More and more Buckman crab and Yellow Dog seedlings from Sandbur are coming along nicely. I put some Buckman seeds w/ root radicles on them in milk jug two days ago. They ought to break ground in the jug in a few days. Yellow Dog seeds are FAST growers! I can't wait to see how big they get over the summer.

@sandbur - Here is a picture of the Red October Crab next to the Cornerstone Crab I sent you also. Both are doing well so far. Interesting how dark red the leaves are!
F0FEE093-B386-4D35-A85E-F880C7EEC573.jpeg