All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bucksnort Franken Tree

@sandbur - Here is a picture of the Red October Crab next to the Cornerstone Crab I sent you also. Both are doing well so far. Interesting how dark red the leaves are!
View attachment 29474

Those look great!

I have to remember Cornerstone, I had it marked as Corner.

How big are the crabs on Cornerstone and DNR Yellow? Have you tasted them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold me on it. Just to have red apples for conversation even if they taste bad. You've officially started my 2021 list

I have three varieties if you are looking for scion. Remind me this fall or winter.

Those look great!

I have to remember Cornerstone, I had it marked as Corner.

How big are the crabs on Cornerstone and DNR Yellow? Have you tasted them?

I would say all 3 are similar size, golf ball maybe slightly bigger. No official taste test, just found them last year as I started keeping my eye out for them. Didn’t find Cornerstone until early Nov after a few frosts and it still had a ton of fruit on it. I will be watching them early in the season this year.

Either wind or blackbirds land on it tore off some of my Red October scion.

I might have a Red October take on a franken tree outback.

Let me know if you end up needing more!

This year, I have some open pollinated seeds from Kinderkrisp and Almata that are just emerging.

Almata is a red flesh.

636d3055f314e3186e84881241aa8e8a.jpg

I can't stop looking at this pic, has to be one of the coolest crabs I've ever seen.
Had to google it and read up everything I could on it. I have got to get one or two on M111 for this fall or next spring.

This year, I have some open pollinated seeds from Kinderkrisp and Almata that are just emerging.

Almata is a red flesh.

I can't stop looking at this pic, has to be one of the coolest crabs I've ever seen.
Had to google it and read up everything I could on it. I have got to get one or two on M111 for this fall or next spring.

Almata might be called an apple instead of a crab. About that size.
bcb05e35a6123f163d8b948a849cc8ff.jpg

Firecracker is definitely a crab. I think it is also called Bill’s Redflesh.

I was trying to find a picture of winter redflesh, but couldn’t do so. It might be buried in this thread.

Last spring I grafted some Geneva crabs and am anxious to see/ taste those.

Almata is a red flesh.

Almata might be called an apple instead of a crab. About that size.
bcb05e35a6123f163d8b948a849cc8ff.jpg

Firecracker is definitely a crab. I think it is also called Bill’s Redflesh.

I was trying to find a picture of winter redflesh, but couldn’t do so. It might be buried in the crabapple timeline thread.

Last spring I grafted some Geneva crabs and am anxious to see/ taste those.

At the stage shown is where I started thinning and left the red ones.

Could you snap a picture of Red October when it blooms?

Here you go Art, beautiful pink flowers.
View attachment 29858

Similar?
c4975893a5b32202e9e30f33451e8406.jpg

I have this crab, not sure what it is, but it had small, quarter sized apples. Sure is a pretty bloomer though. I keep it because it stays in bloom for a long time.

D49DC394-2A3D-4617-87A6-E7413E0E4A2B.jpeg4D7EC394-458A-46CF-8BC5-BDB9C0F5E5A9.jpeg

Let me know if you end up needing more!

Many of my topworks failed due to my own fault. I might have a take on DNR yellow, but would like more RedOctober for spring 2021 if it is not to much trouble.

I ran out of e tape when grafting and grabbed an old/ cheap/ leftover roll .

The tape has unraveled and grafting has failed.

One experienced person recommended e tape that is not the cheap stuff and I would add, NOT old stuff.

Many of my topworks failed due to my own fault. I might have a take on DNR yellow, but would like more RedOctober for spring 2021 if it is not to much trouble.

I ran out of e tape when grafting and grabbed an old/ cheap/ leftover roll .

The tape has unraveled and grafting has failed.

One experienced person recommended e tape that is not the cheap stuff and I would add, NOT old stuff.

Absolutely, no problem, I’m hoping the pruning I did causes the tree to respond and pump out some better wood for grafting!

.........has there ever been a better name for a tree?

bill

Less fruit on the Red October tree this year, not surprised after it was absolutely loaded last year.
8ADD0FE5-73C0-4AF2-AB55-D33FE31C970A.jpeg

Less fruit on the Red October tree this year, not surprised after it was absolutely loaded last year.
View attachment 31008

Many of my trees follow the same cycle. I think it is a survival mechanism for wild trees in our climate. Maybe similar to some oaks.

A few pics of the varieties I sent you:
Red October
D968593A-8C81-48B8-A291-8966BA5B5289.jpeg
DNR Yellow
5B862089-C611-4189-ADC0-27C74CCB851F.jpeg
Cornerstone (right side, white flowers)
The pink flowers are a very small bird sized crab.
B429E923-D2E7-44BA-A416-3CA56741458D.jpeg