All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brasscias in Clover experiment starts tomorrow:

Here is pretty good germination next to some of my sorghum, but it is not a clover plot. I just spayed it light and drilled. IMG_0802.JPGIMG_0801.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another shot. IMG_0803.JPG

I planted some sorghum and pearl millet this year for the first time. It's looking pretty good, hope the deer like it. The quail are using the sorghum cover heavily.

I am very interested to see how the brassicas do having been drilled. I will say, I am not sure but what broadcasting isn't a better way to plant if conditions are right.

Drilled looks pretty darn good to me

It does look good. May be a little thick for bulb production. Remarkably that field with brassicas by the sorghum was not fertilized this year.

Well here is a photo of the sorghum brassicas almost a week after the last photo. We only had rain yesterday I think. No other rain this week. IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0825.JPG

However, the brassicas in the clover plots is WAY BEHIND. I think it will be okay. A lot of those plots are upland plots and the moisture in the soil was limited at best. BUT WHAT I CANT FUGURE OUT IS WHY so many of the plants are stressed. You can see the white tint in these photos. Normally, I would say this is from a lack of fertilizer or maybe too much.
IMG_0824.JPGIMG_0823.JPG

My guess is downy mildew or maybe a fertilizer burn.

Be a buddy and educate me. What is downy mildew, and we only put out 100 pounds of urea and 100 of 6-24-24. Do you think that would have burned it? We had great rain the day after I planted it.

Was it hot the day you spread?

Sorry WT, I meant powdery mildew...............

Powdery mildew (Erysiphe cruciferarum)
Powdery mildew is a fungus that produces a white powdery mould on the top surface of leaves. The disease can occur through to crop maturity and its development is favoured by warm dry weather. The powdery mildew fungus, which is spread by the wind, survives on living tissue and Brussels sprouts, swedes and cabbages are mainly affected.

Yes very hot but we spread fert. the day before I drilled.

Sorry WT, I meant powdery mildew...............

Powdery mildew (Erysiphe cruciferarum)
Powdery mildew is a fungus that produces a white powdery mould on the top surface of leaves. The disease can occur through to crop maturity and its development is favoured by warm dry weather. The powdery mildew fungus, which is spread by the wind, survives on living tissue and Brussels sprouts, swedes and cabbages are mainly affected.

We have had rain, but we have also had the hottest and driest days I can every remember. It has been 100 degrees several days and we don't normally get that hot ever.

I looked on line a little and I think you are right about the Powdery Mildew.

I looked on line a little and I think you are right about the Powdery Mildew.

See if you can get a close up pic of both sides of the leaves next time you are out there.

One other thing, have you sprayed anything in the area since those germinated?

Can't get a photo for a while but I have not sprayed anything.

When drilling, I seem to have to be more careful to not seed too heavily, but that's just because I have broadcast so much more that I have a better feel for it. So long as one gets the rate correct. there are no downsides to drilling. In fact, if the soil is moist at all, your germ rate tends to be faster, higher and a bit more even than broadcasting, at least in my experience.

Well I didn't get any photos of the brassicas in the clover yesterday when I stopped by, but did get a photo of the pure brassica stand. Other than some Johnson Grass coming up it looks pretty good. IMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPG

For those of you who have not planted a lot of brassica, PLEASE remember there are a lot of great guys on here with priceless amounts of experience. Just keep in mind that if someone is planting brassicas in northern Michigan on July 15, that may be way too early for the zone in which you live. I am in the southern portion of the Midwest and I use to plant brassicas from August 10-20. I. Planted the last couple days of July this year and even though we had good rain after I planted, I think it got way too hot and hurt them. We had several days pushing 100 with no rain. August 15 will be my new target date.