All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brasscias in Clover experiment starts tomorrow:

Well here is the kill down on the clover. So far I am very happy. It is set back after one week, but doesn't look like it will be too much.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
The brassicas are certainly coming up. We have had a good shower one day last week and some on and off showers through the week.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
More

More

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 31
Man that's going to look good. Wanted to try this year but just ran out of time. To late for turnips in N. MO now.

Keep the pics coming over the next few months.

Hope to order my radish next week for drilling into clover.

Man that's going to look good. Wanted to try this year but just ran out of time. To late for turnips in N. MO now.

Still plenty of time to get some daikon radish in the ground. You should still get decent tonnage given they are about 60 day maturity.

I plant the grain portion of the LC mix in NE MO Labor Day weekend. There are Radish in the mix, and they always do well and are a big draw. They don't make the biggest tubers, but the tops are all ate up. I plant them with my turnips and rape the end of July, they make bigger bulbs, for sure.

This is a photo of a field I drilled, but nuked all vegetation in it first. IMG_0782.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a close up of the brassicas coming up as the clover thins down. IMG_0784.JPG

Great thread. Looking good so far.

Well hope to get some photos today or tomorrow of the Brassicas planted last weekend. However, my wife wants us to go golf ugh! I can take golfing, we use to golf a lot. My wife really enjoys it and is pretty darn good. I know some guys would love for their wife to golf. Funny story my wife and I had been married a year or so and I was very conservative when it came to spending money. We were probably 26. My wife had been begging to buy a fishing boat. So we went to a lake and rented one to fish. We did and came in right before dark. A catfish tournament was about to start and guys were everywhere. My wife, who is a fitness model at the time, gets out of the boat carry a few leftover beers is in a string bikini giving me all kinds of hell saying she wants a bass boat and when not fishing we need to be golfing. I told her " honey you are going to get me killed. 99 percent of these guys here are catching hell from there wives because they fish too much and half of those probably golf, AND you look like you stepped off the cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition!" And, " after they kill me they are going to kidnap you :). Will let you know how the day goes.

lol... my wife is a blue eyed blonde knockout. it's so funny to watch a hot babe stir up the pond out in public !!!!!!! ;)

Still plenty of time to get some daikon radish in the ground. You should still get decent tonnage given they are about 60 day maturity.

I plant the grain portion of the LC mix in NE MO Labor Day weekend. There are Radish in the mix, and they always do well and are a big draw. They don't make the biggest tubers, but the tops are all ate up. I plant them with my turnips and rape the end of July, they make bigger bulbs, for sure.

Heading out on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe I'll pick up some radishes and give it a try. Local feed guy always has daikon on hand. I've not had luck planting turnips after about mid July.

WTNUT,
Did you add N to them in the stunted clover or are you hoping the clover added enough?

This is a photo of a field I drilled, but nuked all vegetation in it first. View attachment 9886

Your brassica look plenty heavy. What settings did you use? Small box?

Heading out on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe I'll pick up some radishes and give it a try. Local feed guy always has daikon on hand. I've not had luck planting turnips after about mid July.

WTNUT,
Did you add N to them in the stunted clover or are you hoping the clover added enough?

I added 100 pounds on Urea per acre and 100 pounds of 6-24-24 per acre.

Your brassica look plenty heavy. What settings did you use? Small box?

The nuked field was 4 pounds GH and 5 pounds t-raptor and Barkant combined.

Thought I would update you this week. First the plot that is in the bottoms and was nuked with GLY and planted at 9 pounds per acre looks good for just under two weeks. Good germination and good growth.
IMG_0794.JPGIMG_0795.JPG

But the upland clover plots don't show much growth. And, the clover is starting to come back. One quart of Gly per acre on clover does slow it, but not for long. Here is a photo of the upland clover plot that was originally in the photos.

IMG_0796.JPG

A word of caution get is to keep in mind that there are a lot of folks on this forum who are from vastly different zones. Just because someone says plant brassicas on July 15 does NOT mean you need to plant them on July 15. I normally plant mine between August 10-15 and it has worked well for 15 years. I tried to push the envelope this year and move up to July 31 - August 1 (and that will still probably work), but that is cutting it really close for the southern part of the Midwest.

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

The clover only needs to be suppressed long enough for the brassicia to germinate and get a little head start. I will mention that I've done this with low-growing clover like ladino and Durana. The clover begins to bounce back quickly like your picture shows, but it is still sparse enough for light to get to the brassica. One key is having sufficient soil moisture for quick germination of the brassica.

As someone said, every region is different both in climate and soils. What works well in some areas my need to be adapted or even fail in others.

Thanks,

jack