Bad neighbors?

This may be a little bit off topic but am I the only one who hangs a tree stand facing between 45 and 90 degrees more to the right that I expect the deer to come from? I am right handed and find it easier to shoot slightly to the left then straight ahead or to the right. After reading all these posts about neighbors who have stands facing directly onto your property do you think they're truly expecting the deer to come from your property or they like me and expect it to come from the left?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This may be a little bit off topic but am I the only one who hangs a tree stand facing between 45 and 90 degrees more to the right that I expect the deer to come from? I am right handed and find it easier to shoot slightly to the left then straight ahead or to the right. After reading all these posts about neighbors who have stands facing directly onto your property do you think they're truly expecting the deer to come from your property or they like me and expect it to come from the left?

You are not the only one that sets stands this way. More than once I've had someone use my stands and come back to me suggesting that I turn it to the left. No thanks, I like it just how it is.

Property line runs East and West I own everything North your stand should face South or I'll cut the tree down. Unless you work with me have same goals and if I do the same thing you'll leave it alone. I don't hunt property lines because usually just turns into a pissing match. But if I can't go get my deer that goes on your side not giving you an inch.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Property line runs East and West I own everything North your stand should face South or I'll cut the tree down. Unless you work with me have same goals and if I do the same thing you'll leave it alone. I don't hunt property lines because usually just turns into a pissing match. But if I can't go get my deer that goes on your side not giving you an inch.

Am I understanding you correctly? Seems that you have now said it twice that you will cut down a tree growing on your neighbor's property?

Property line. I don't trespass. We own half mile of woods that's ends on an ag field. We have a road down threw the woods to an ag field on the bottom side of our woods. They hunt the edge shooting deer on my road come out of the ag field going into the woods. I'll take a pic next time when I get back there and you can see what I mean. If you out hunt me on your side and shot a nice one congrats but you shot them on my side I get pissed.

I think we may have a different definition of hunting the line. I consider being within eyesight of the line in a wooded environment hunting the line. (Which I am guilty of, more on that later). Are you saying the stand is technically right over the survey marks? I might have an issue with that but if you are trespassing (even if it is only 1 foot) to cut down a tree stand you don't like, I would have a huge problem with that and possibly even suggest that it might be you who is the bad neighbor. I did not mean to offend if you you are staying on your property to do the cutting.

My best stand is about 30 yards from our line due to the terrain. That area acts as a natural funnel to really concentrate the deer traffic. My neighbor on the other side hunts it often as well about 20 yards into his side of the line. It so happens the way we have our stands we are facing each other. Yeah it is annoying when the sun comes up and I see an orange hat over there, but there are worse things in life than a neighbor who hunts and stays on his own property. I wouldn't call us friends, but we are friendly enough and don't care about retrieving deer.

A property line is exact that, a line. The tree is 99.9% of time growing on either side of the line but not both. So either they are trespassing onto yours putting a stand up or you are trespassing onto theirs to cut their tree down. It's one or the other, not both.

I own and hunt small acreage. Hunting near a line is inevitable. Shooting over a line is not acceptable.

Would you have a problem with non fence line hunting landowners setting deer retrieval limits to fence line hunters?

I feel like 30 or 40 yards isn't asking a lot.

Bueller brings up a good point concerning small acreage. I'm a small acreage guy too. How far away do you have to be from the line to be considered not hunting the line? I can see across my entire property in some places and could easily harvest a deer well into the neighbor's property with a rifle. Heck, probably into the neighbor's beyond that neighbor too. Am I a line hunter? Due to topography and deer movement all but one of my stands is very near the line and I can easily shoot over the line with a bow. Same for some of the neighbor's stands.
Pretty sure one of the neighbors took a buck off my land with rifle a couple years ago. He has sat in the same stand on opening day for all of the 6 years I've been there. He's been there almost 30. I don't really care if he did actually shoot over the line. Deer don't know where the property line is. He was excited to fill his tag. Getting a buck is more important to him than it is to me and I have more years left to hunt than he does. I could just as easily sit one of my stands and cut him off but then he would be doing the same to me. Why should I screw up his hunt and potentially mine. I know where he's going to sit so I adjust accordingly to give us both the best hunt possible. No big deal for me.
Had a discussion with another neighbor about where my stands are. Some were their when I purchased and some I've either added or moved. I brought it up just this past summer to see if there were any hard feelings. He kinda rolls his eyes and says "Dude, don't worry about". Told me if I need to retrieve a deer to just text him first. Said he would help and bring his tracking dog if needed. Same goes for accessing my land, for any neighbor. A simple heads up is all I would expect, other than that knock yourself out. Gut it on my land for all I care. Wolves will have it cleaned up in no time.
To me a deer is not worth a life long friendship, or a life long feud. Maybe I'm in the minority here idk...

In my area most property owners only harvest a deer or two per year, if that. Therefore crossing lines to track or retrieve a deer is not a real common event. I sure as heck want my neighbors to allow me access if needed. And I give them the same access. Notification first is all that is hoped for. In most cases I'll put down my gun/bow to help a neighbor with a track and/or recovery.

Bueller brings up a good point concerning small acreage. I'm a small acreage guy too. How far away do you have to be from the line to be considered not hunting the line? I can see across my entire property in some places and could easily harvest a deer well into the neighbor's property with a rifle. Heck, probably into the neighbor's beyond that neighbor too. Am I a line hunter? Due to topography and deer movement all but one of my stands is very near the line and I can easily shoot over the line with a bow. Same for some of the neighbor's stands.
Pretty sure one of the neighbors took a buck off my land with rifle a couple years ago. He has sat in the same stand on opening day for all of the 6 years I've been there. He's been there almost 30. I don't really care if he did actually shoot over the line. Deer don't know where the property line is. He was excited to fill his tag. Getting a buck is more important to him than it is to me and I have more years left to hunt than he does. I could just as easily sit one of my stands and cut him off but then he would be doing the same to me. Why should I screw up his hunt and potentially mine. I know where he's going to sit so I adjust accordingly to give us both the best hunt possible. No big deal for me.
Had a discussion with another neighbor about where my stands are. Some were their when I purchased and some I've either added or moved. I brought it up just this past summer to see if there were any hard feelings. He kinda rolls his eyes and says "Dude, don't worry about". Told me if I need to retrieve a deer to just text him first. Said he would help and bring his tracking dog if needed. Same goes for accessing my land, for any neighbor. A simple heads up is all I would expect, other than that knock yourself out. Gut it on my land for all I care. Wolves will have it cleaned up in no time.
To me a deer is not worth a life long friendship, or a life long feud. Maybe I'm in the minority here idk...
Dude couldn't agree more! With my dad and I being farmers we have tons of neighbors I get along with everyone but him. Maybe we started off on the wrong foot but I just pray that they sell it and the local hunt club buys it.