As they lay thread…

I use my tractor tires to find them
Oh Lord , there's a lot of truth there. Had a $400 bill two years ago.

A few years ago I found one in a wheat field with a tine freshly broken off. My dad later heard that the Coop had a fertilizer spreader run over an antler and blew a tire. They keep those pieces in their "trophy room." I took the antler down and sure enough it matched up with one of the tines like a jigsaw puzzle. 😂 I gave them the antler since it was probably worth a couple grand at that point...

We just don’t have big ag fields here. I find most of my sheds in the woods next to a tree, but it does make them harder to find.

What do y’all think about this. I had more deer with broken antlers this year than I’ve ever had. We had tthe most dry summer in memory, with no rain for about nine weeks. I wonder if that was related?

Also wanted to show this beast. This is one of the biggest deer I have seen on the hoof, and although only a six point, what a massive rack for Alabama. I’m hoping to get him in the next two days before the season ends.

IMG_3622.jpeg
And one of the many broken antlers.
IMG_3623.jpeg

Also wanted to show this beast. This is one of the biggest deer I have seen on the hoof, and although only a six point, what a massive rack for Alabama. I’m hoping to get him in the next two days before the season ends.

View attachment 62369
And one of the many broken antlers.
View attachment 62370
Is your buck population increasing? I notice more broken antlers as my management actions took effect and the deer density increase. I had a lot of bucks still fighting well into January this year - and my area is not noted for late rut. Our rut is typically around the second week in Nov.

Is your buck population increasing? I notice more broken antlers as my management actions took effect and the deer density increase. I had a lot of bucks still fighting well into January this year - and my area is not noted for late rut. Our rut is typically around the second week in Nov.
Yes swamp. For sure. I have seen 35-40 or more different bucks this year. Part of why I asked a few months ago about culling. Us southerners have id different. I just can’t have 4-5 studs I watch grow for 5 years. Too much pressure and buck movement.

But that’s a great point and thanks for pointing out. I see bucks sparring all the time on camera and in person. Often smaller bucks with no mass so can easily see how they break. Now the pic above I can’t imagine the force needed to break that main beam. Ha

A 5.5 yr old we know well. 4 straight yrs of getting his right side. He'd maybe go 130 tops if he hadn't busted 7 tines off (his 6 point left side had 5 breaks). Our neighbor found his left side a half mile away. He's a light bodied deer. I wish someone would shoot him, but we've never laid eyes on him a single time.

20240213_145006.jpg

Hope you ain’t mad about my post in drone thing @Howboutthemdawgs. I was too harsh.

My pic above is a young looking deer. He should be a monster next year.

Actually had 3 8 points make it through the season. One is old and won’t grow too much but I have high hopes for the other two. Out out some minerals and protein today.

I know you can’t “change the genetics”. But my homebodies eating good can help those individual deer

I got a heartbreak this week. Been waiting to walk the neighbor’s property for my big 4 antlered deer. It’s where I found one of his sheds last year. I went Wednesday and had a few glasses of bourbon with him and eventually asked to walk it as a formality. He said no. I walked it for 23 years while his dad owned it. He passed and I walked it last year with permission from the son. Now it’s a no… And with how cocky he was when he said it? Likely the last time we speak as friends. We have helped keep their farm afloat with free labor for decades. All in exchange for a little access (fishing and shed hunting only). We’ll see how long it takes to be up for sale without our help. On the way out he asked if I could help him burn this spring. Needless to say it felt good to say no. And walk out… End of an era again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer T-max! Glad you got a little just return before you left though.

Found one today on a run. I'll include the matched set I've already posted. Both with a hunting pic or two I'd taken this season. Cool to find antlers of deer you have history with!
Screenshot_20240218_202048_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240218_174732_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240218_174659_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240218_202011_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240218_201902_Gallery.jpg

That's a sweet lookin buck Cat! Not a shooter or just couldn't get on him?

I got a heartbreak this week. Been waiting to walk the neighbor’s property for my big 4 antlered deer. It’s where I found one of his sheds last year. I went Wednesday and had a few glasses of bourbon with him and eventually asked to walk it as a formality. He said no. I walked it for 23 years while his dad owned it. He passed and I walked it last year with permission from the son. Now it’s a no… And with how cocky he was when he said it? Likely the last time we speak as friends. We have helped keep their farm afloat with free labor for decades. All in exchange for a little access (fishing and shed hunting only). We’ll see how long it takes to be up for sale without our help. On the way out he asked if I could help him burn this spring. Needless to say it felt good to say no. And walk out… End of an era again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really sucks. Did you explain to him that it doesn't make sense for you to help him burn when he won't even let you walk the property to look for a few sheds? I don't understand how some people can be so self-centered that they feel entitled to everyone else's labor/time/money/etc. without giving anything in return. If not full-on sociopathic, it must be at least borderline.

Do you think you will be able to afford his property if it goes up for sale?