All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Seeds

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Who is saving some?

Which varieties?
15c10947ea14565f9b491654f8e0a8da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I save all the seeds i get from supermarket apples. I have about 20 baby trees from them.

I save all the seeds i get from supermarket apples. I have about 20 baby trees from them.

If you were closer, you could have my cider pressings. I am not sure what it is called.
Lots of variable genetics in that mess.

I think the pressings are called "pumace". (sp.?)

I think the pressings are called "pumace". (sp.?)

Or cake?

or "pulp"

I have an apple tree with super sweet apples (long ago misplaced the map of what variety it is) but it is amongst a bunch of crabs ... I have some seeds from a few of those apples: maybe, just maybe, I will in ten years -- get a sweet tasting crab out of them. I also kept some seeds out of an "envy" apple to see what happens - more of a germination experiment on those.

Remember if you are saving seeds, you need to keep them in the frig for the winter for spring planting. You can also plant in pots and let winter take its course.

I decided not to screw around putting seeds in the refrigerator over the winter, I planted and covered them for the winter. They are from a local crab I found this year that just started dropping this week. Guess we’ll see how things turn out.
EC87C07D-2991-428B-9A74-E140E52876AA.jpegD50D8145-79A3-46C3-B03F-A9C9CC7F2016.jpeg

Well, Of course it is going to work. That is how it has been done for millions of years - long before refrigerators were invented. The winter chill will do what the refrigerator does only better. You may not get 100% germination but you wouldn't get that with refrigerated seeds, either.

I decided not to screw around putting seeds in the refrigerator over the winter, I planted and covered them for the winter. They are from a local crab I found this year that just started dropping this week. Guess we’ll see how things turn out.
View attachment 26671View attachment 26672

Can mice get through that screen?

Can mice get through that screen?

I suppose so, didn’t really think about that. My bigger concern was the booming population of squirrels unearthing the seeds to plant acorns & butternuts. I could add some hardware cloth left over from planting season. Or just rely on the neighbor’s cat...

Plant in I ground roottrapper bags. Multiple seeds per bag - keep the strong one per bag.8749D246-CBF2-414F-A68D-A628AD976B26.jpeg

Bur, post #11 -Thinking the same thing. Hardware cloth for mice.

I live in zone 5B. I do not graft anything onto to first year seedlings because I want to see which seedlings can survive a really cold winter - minus 16 to minus 20 is what is typical here. Not everything makes it but those that do are the one's I graft. Someone asked about how straight are B118. I would not say they would get any awards for being the straightest trees around but they are OK for the purpose. They are certainly cheap enough to purchase en bulk. Frankly, it has been my experience that wildlife like the same apples we do and choose them first when many are available. It is hard to beat plain old standard apple seedlings for economy in terms of the cost of trees. Lately I have been grafting no spray types of apples onto ordinary apple seedlings and they work fine for everyone. We eat them; the wildlife eat them - no scab and everyone is happy.

JHoss,

Looks great!. I have been using used styrofoam coffee cups - easy to poke holes with a pencil and they are free. I was using some plastic cups that lemon ice came in (and other assorted foods) but I totally ruined a solder iron on putting the holes in the container ............ so how much money did I save in the long run? I had to replace the iron. Styrofoam can be poked with a pencil.

BTW, guys, it is not only apple seeds that can be cold sown in this way - it is called "winter sowing" and some people make a big thing of it but it is an ancient concept. The planet has been doing so for millions of years only some people like to claim credit for their "novel" ideas. Bottom line is that lots of veggies and flowers can be winter sown in milk jugs and various plastic containers in which we buy food, then throw away. The ones which the rotisserie chickens come in is ideal because they have a plastic cover. Look up "winter sowing" on the internet for info on how it is done. Come spring, all manner of veggie and flower transplants are ready to go. It works great - better than indoor lights, in fact. Don't over seed the containers, BTW. Less is more else you will get a tangled mess.

Word of caution, you can't do tomatoes, eggplants and peppers in this manner. They do need indoor lights. For other stuff, however, it is great. The only caution is that you do need someway to protect the containeras from blowing away during the winter winds. Putting them inside a plastic crate works as does nailing the containers to a wooden board. Whatever works is fine. We are talking about disposable stuff here so you don't have to worry about reuse. Over the next summer and fall, you can collect more containers for the following winter. One other word of caution, come spring, don't forget to take off the clear plastic lids. It gets super HOT inside those containers on any sunny spring day and your transplants will fry to death, otherwise. Come April (in zone 5B), you no longer need the lids

Anyone ever just plant the whole apple?

Chummer,

You could do that but your chance of germination would be less than if you planted the seeds. The apple would rot in the soil and get mushy and then attract insects - not the ideal media for germination but it work to one degree or another. You would have less chance of germination success than if you removed the seeds and put them directly in the soil but less does not equate to zero. Once the whole apple rotted away, you could, in fact, have some seeds germinate. Anytime someone has an apple seedling on their property which they did not intentionally put there, it came about because some apple fell off the tree, rotted on the ground and one of the seeds germinated.

For purposes of Bambi, I would recommend grafting sweet apples. I have several hundred trees and it seems to me that Bambi snarfs up all the sweet ones first then, as the season progresses, Bambi eats the crabs and other less desirable apples. If you like it, Bambi likes it. If you don't like it, Bambi will eat it only after he eats up all the good stuff first. This same principle applies to the trash pandas (raccoons). They have a HUGE sweet tooth.

Bur, post #11 -Thinking the same thing. Hardware cloth for mice.

I prefer it with 1/4 inch mesh.

My experience ‘s are slightly different than those of Lois’s.

Growing conditions and habits of deer vary with locations. I feel deer prefer the crabs and anything over 3/4 inch works.

In my mind, crabs can tolerate a slightly lowerpH in the soil and produce a crop with less TLC.
Plus they are bite sized.

The definition of crabs is just any apple that averages under two inches in size. All kind of flavors with crabs!