Finding seeds

jonezzy026

Yearling... With promise
So I’ve been doing food plots for last couple years now and with pretty good success as long as we get some rain but I’ve been growing these food plots and adding new ones around my property and with that comes a higher bill. I’ve been ordering seeds from Amazon, all the name brands, imperial whitetail, antler king, etc. Is there someplace I can find a more generic seed that is a bit cheaper to help with cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve been doing food plots for last couple years now and with pretty good success as long as we get some rain but I’ve been growing these food plots and adding new ones around my property and with that comes a higher bill. I’ve been ordering seeds from Amazon, all the name brands, imperial whitetail, antler king, etc. Is there someplace I can find a more generic seed that is a bit cheaper to help with cost?

Your local farmers coop. If you Google seed stores around you there is probably several close by

I've used Welter Seed and Honey. Great service, fair prices. Delivery is not free however.

Our county feed stores can get most of the common seeds - but not things like ragweed or goatweed, etc

Seedworldusa, seed ranch, merit seed. Find a feed store that has whole oats. Probably bought about 15 over the years, never got a dud bag. plotspike forage feast and mossy oak has a wheat / pea blend thats cheap at tractor supply. I generally buy forage feast for new plot areas because I am tilling up the soil and amending initally. $30 for a 1/2 acre of weat / oats/ winter peas/ chicory/ and a clover or two. Hard to beat that.

How many acres, what kind of seeds, how fussy are you on foodplots? Some people want to see cover of a magzine plots.

I have clover blends I use. Coated seed isn't a huge concern. You want the nitrogen bacteria on it, they say its good for a year. Every year I buy some different clover for the blend. Try to keep seed under 3 years far as rotation goes. IF you got the critters in the soil, the clover seed does need to be innoculated. LEss common legumes use different strains, they are more important.

Also, we all travel here n there, find a place along the way. I gt some things for food plots / habitat I cant get in NY from north carolina when I go there.

Alberta lea seed has alot of places they ship to. Supposedly they only add $5 a bag to the order. Going to give them a try this year. Dealer is right on the way home from work I believe they whole bags though. Was going to buy 50lbs of crimson clover, 2 bags of buckwheat, and a bag of hairy vetch.

I think the most important seed to find is winter rye. It's a plan B plot at times for me. Spots in my plot didn't take, flooded plot areas die, or a new spot opened up at camp from logging. I also top dress the backyard with it. spots I just mow to keep the grass low. Also spread this stuff on ATV / snowmobile trails where you get some sun. I put it on a touch heavy 100lbs an acre, comes out to be about $25 bucks of seed.

I can get it for free from my borther in law, but buy bags from his friends who are establishing a feed store. They sell wheat even cheaper because they grow a few thousand acres of it in NY.

I test germinate some of my seeds. I put an inch or two of soil in a clay pot base. I randomly pick 50 seeds and count how many sprout. I've had 80%+ germinate on 2 year old rye, wheat, and oat seed in my basement. Very often the feed oats are 90-100%. Even IF I use all my seed one year, I try to keep a few pounds for lawn establishment or to check germination of older seed. I get nervous buying seed from a guy that's 50 feet from a grain dryer. Wet years have still been good germination though.

Last edited:
I’ve had good success with merit..decent prices and shipping isn’t that bad..I do try to buy a bigger bag and split it between fields to be planted that seems to help..

I have used Merit several times. Always been very happy with them. Rye is expensive for them to ship, so try to find it locally.

I also like Green Cover Seed for some less common things that Merit doesn't carry. Very happy with them, also. Though their prices tend to be a bit higher than Merit, since I really only buy things from them that Merit doesn't carry, I guess I can't complain.

Where are you located?

I like to look for late year commercial stuff (discounted) at Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc. It's getting tougher to find them now though. My local farm store now just sells the buck on the bag stuff themselves which kind of sucks. I can still get regular bags of oats and rye though. There are a few good online suggestions that others already put on here. I've used Seedranch some and have liked what they sent and received really good customer service when needed.

I like to look for late year commercial stuff (discounted) at Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc. It's getting tougher to find them now though

Good call. The first half of January seems to be a pretty good time for this. The hunting season is almost over, the holidays are well over, and the growing season is a ways off. Menards and TSC mark down all of last season's hunting related products and consolidate them in a little area where it's all relatively easy to find. A few years ago I got a 50 lb bag of Plot Spike forage oats for 12 or 13 dollars. This year they had some of the clover blends heavily reduced, but I had already ordered enough seeds for the next few years and couldn't justify buying more just to have it lay around.

Good call. The first half of January seems to be a pretty good time for this. The hunting season is almost over, the holidays are well over, and the growing season is a ways off. Menards and TSC mark down all of last season's hunting related products and consolidate them in a little area where it's all relatively easy to find. A few years ago I got a 50 lb bag of Plot Spike forage oats for 12 or 13 dollars. This year they had some of the clover blends heavily reduced, but I had already ordered enough seeds for the next few years and couldn't justify buying more just to have it lay around.
I've also been able to snag decent ladder stands at Walmart marked 75% off with this strategy

bill

I've also been able to snag decent ladder stands at Walmart marked 75% off with this strategy

bill
I need some. Let me know if you come across some this year Tree.

I also grabbed a couple bags of the plotspike oats. My deer really seem to like them. Keep them in a cool dark area and I've never had a problem with them not sprouting in the fall.

bill
A couple of years ago they had some Muddy High Rise single ladder stands for something like $70 a piece. I hesitated and when I went back they were all gone. I should've just bought them all and resold what I didn't want. There were 4 or 5 there.