All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alsike clover

Peplin Creek

5 year old buck +
i have some low areas that i am thinking about putting a food plot in. Given the area I am thinking mix of rye and alsike clover might be the best option given the conditions of the plot. Moist soil in the spring early summer, drier in the fall. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it something that browns earlier than a white clover or does it stay green? The goal is attraction in the fall, with food in the spring. The plots about 1/4 acre.

It will work well in heavy wet soil. That's what I use it for, and it does well. I think it stays green better than white clover, but then again, it's in moist spots...

Great, thanks for the reply.

I planted some behind my house in a real wet area. The lowest spot holds water unless its dry for a couple weeks straight. It is coming in well, but seems like it's slower to establish. So I'd recommend making sure getting a good kill on the weeds before hand to give it time to get going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with Berseem clover in wet areas... just an FYI

I've had good luck with Berseem clover in wet areas... just an FYI
Berseem is an annual. Alsike is perennial. That may affect the decision on which to plant.

Have you ever tried berseem in those areas that are very wet in the spring, but turn to black dirt after they dry out. I see jewel weed come into these areas which is a pretty decent deer feed for a period, berseem might be an alternative.