All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding chicory to clover plots

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
I decided that I want to add some chicory to a couple of small clover plots. I know it is late this year but is there any benefit to adding it now (I'm in the UP of Michigan) or should I frost seed this winter or just add it in the spring?

Also, what herbicide will I use to kill grass in the clover plot with chicory in it? I have used Poast for grass in clover but I'm not sure what it will do to chicory.

Both poast and clethodim are grass selective and won't hurt the chicory. If you use cleth, use a non-ionic rather than crop oil which can stress the chicory.

Last year I added a meandering strip of chicory into a clover plot near a tree stand. I sprayed the strip with roundup a few weeks before planting, and sowed the chicory into the stunned clover around Labor Day. I had some chicory by late fall, this year it’s a lush pale green line running past my stand, and the deer are starting to eat the leaves off the tops of the plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are right at the very end of the time frame for chicory---not really sure if you will get enough decent weather for chicory to establish enough to survive winter---if it were me, I think I'd try it but you'll have to decide if you want to gamble with it.

I think you are right at the very end of the time frame for chicory---not really sure if you will get enough decent weather for chicory to establish enough to survive winter---if it were me, I think I'd try it but you'll have to decide if you want to gamble with it.

I was thinking the same in regard to being late to the game. I cannot get back to camp until 9/15. I think I will mitigate risk and frost seed it into my clover plots this winter. Now I have to decide what type of chicory to use. I found some at Hancock and Merit.

How late is too late for chicory? I'm planning to plant some with rye and clover this weekend in Central Wisconsin. I don't care about growth this year, just want it to come on next summer.

I already sprinkled some wild chicory seed I collected a couple weeks ago and wanted to add to that some improved forage chicory seed this weekend as well however I'm debating as I read somewhere when seeding chicory in the Northeast you want to have it done in early August to give the seedlings enough time to establish before a killing Frost I think they need like 8 weeks

When I was mixing chicory with ladino, I would just add it to the fall mix with the clover and WR nurse crop. I never see much chicory or clover until the following spring. The WR is the fall attractant that first year. I am in zone 7a so I'm not sure if things are different up north.

Thanks,

Jack

I think your probably right on the tail end of planting season for it now, it does grow fast and also throws a deep tap root fast. I don't think there will be much of a benefit as an attractant this fall with the little growth it will have.
Just as easy to plant in early spring or you could do both, chicory seed is cheap and a little goes a long way.
Any of the forage chicory varieties should work well for you, I get mine from the local co-op.