Favorite clover mix?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Always adjusting and re-evaluating. A couple of plot have gotten quite a bit of grass in them. Considering going clover and chicory but haven't paid much attention to varieties lately. Anything new you guys like, or just some good blends you like?

I've used Domain Outdoors Hot Chic the last few years and have liked the results. I've had good experiences with their customer service and they send you a handwritten note wishing you well on your season with the purchase. Always thought that was a nice touch. I can't find a local seed store that has what I want. Some have just started selling BOB mixes anyway so this works well for my needs.

https://www.domainoutdoor.com/

I like Domain's comeback kid. Also Deer Creek's premium white clover mix.

I like Domain's comeback kid. Also Deer Creek's premium white clover mix.
I almost bought comeback kid this year. I tried alfalfa before and it failed miserably so I shied away from it.

I almost bought comeback kid this year. I tried alfalfa before and it failed miserably so I shied away from it.
I forgot it had alfalfa in it. The clover came back great. I planted last year in a heavily shaded hilltop w/ some brassicas. I'll have to look closer next time and see if I can find any alfalfa. I didn't plant it for the alfalfa anyways so not a big deal if its not there.

I'd never heard of Domainoutdoors. I just checked out their page, can't find a seed list on their mixes. Am I missing it? I won't buy a mix without knowing what's in it...

I have planted a few plots that are essentially equal parts chicory ('Oasis'), alfalfa (VNS), and white clover (VNS). I feel like this works really well throughout the year in northern MO.

Here is a photo of one of the plots on year 2, taken on July 8th of this year.

Another photo of the exact same mix but of a different plot in May of 2022 (one year after planting, and after an overseeding of more chicory in spring 2022). I overseeded with more chicory because I wasn't happy with the amount of chicory.

I need to remember to get some photos of it after a hard frost and in the early spring.

Attachments

• July 8th 2023.jpg
    July 8th 2023.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 24
  • May 28, 2022.jpg
    May 28, 2022.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 23
I'd never heard of Domainoutdoors. I just checked out their page, can't find a seed list on their mixes. Am I missing it? I won't buy a mix without knowing what's in it...

They are common in the stores around here and i believe the actual contents are on the containers but like many companies, it doesn't seem like they share the varieties in the blends elsewhere.

"2 varieties of clover!" isn't helpful.

It depends on your performance requirements. I need drought tolerance in anything I plant as my soil is very sandy. To that end, red clover has shown more resilience than the ladino, or alsike clovers I've tried. The deer seem to prefer it over white as well. And I've always got alfalfa in my perennial plot as it's been the most drought tolerant food plot crop I've tried. This year everything was dried up except alfalfa and a couple of weeds.

It depends on your performance requirements. I need drought tolerance in anything I plant as my soil is very sandy. To that end, red clover has shown more resilience than the ladino, or alsike clovers I've tried. The deer seem to prefer it over white as well. And I've always got alfalfa in my perennial plot as it's been the most drought tolerant food plot crop I've tried. This year everything was dried up except alfalfa and a couple of weeds.
Heat/drought/mud/and cold. We get a good mix. I've successfully grown ladino, arrowleaf, med red, jumbo ladino, and a few others. I'd like a mix that stays somewhat palatable in summer and goes into winter as long as possible.

I like to mix at least 10-15% Alsike. It seems to be a little more forgiving in my decent but not perfect soils and timber edges, and I plant a lot of timber edges. I always mix a little, Jumbo II, Alice are favorites and I bought a fair amount of Aberlasting last spring. On paper I really like the look of Aberlasting. Welter’s describes it as a replacement for Kura which is supposed to be darn near invasive once established (but tough to establish.)

I haven‘t mixed medium red/Starfire or Mammoth red for awhile. I’m going to start up with that again. Also going to mix some hairy vetch in for the first time.

I’m close to Welter’s. That place is like a candy store, and its really easy for me to buy 5# of this and 5# of that….

Forgive me for this ask…

Who has had two different mixes, on the same farm (both being in properly amended soils) and seen a blatant difference in attraction and use?

Forgive me for this ask…

Who has had two different mixes, on the same farm (both being in properly amended soils) and seen a blatant difference in attraction and use?
I can't help with that ask. I've done side-by-sides with wheat/rye/oats, but never clovers. Likely can't go wrong is what I'm guessing you are hinting at?

It's on the labels of the containers. Not sure why they don't put it on the website. I'm sure they'd tell you if you asked. Hot chic is chicory, medium red clover and balansa clover

I can't help with that ask. I've done side-by-sides with wheat/rye/oats, but never clovers. Likely can't go wrong is what I'm guessing you are hinting at?

I do suspect we over think it. While some will grow better than others based on plant needs, I am going counter culture on the specifics. A buddy sent me his clover recipes and it was almost akin to a the cold fusion formula. Perhaps if soil or optimism deer health are your goals it all matters… but for someone who is about hunting property layout and basic habitat improvment (beyond deer) the rabbit hole should be shallower than it’s often made. Just my two cents… and there is no wrong or right or saying someone’s take is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's on the labels of the containers. Not sure why they don't put it on the website. I'm sure they'd tell you if you asked. Hot chic is chicory, medium red clover and balansa clover
Thanks! But, I'm not going to order something that's not labeled and I'm not seeking them out to tell me. I could be accused of being somewhat stubborn.

I do suspect we over think it. While some will grow better than others based on plant needs, I am going counter culture on the specifics. A buddy sent me his clover recipes and it was almost akin to a the cold fusion formula. Perhaps if soil or optimism deer health are your goals it all matters… but for someone who is about hunting property layout and basic habitat improvment (beyond deer) the rabbit hole should be shallower than it’s often made. Just my two cents… and there is no wrong or right or saying someone’s take is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always made selections based on filling gaps in ag and diversity. My mixes have always been put together to combine early season with late season plants, deep root and shallow root, wet spell and dry spell favorites, etc. Basically always want something doing well with no real gaps. Probably want to hold true to that but haven't studied up much on newer cultivars.

Thanks! But, I'm not going to order something that's not labeled and I'm not seeking them out to tell me. I could be accused of being somewhat stubborn.
I like it because it's 40% chicory. Most mixes like that just have a splash of chicory. I get it though. I'm just happy anything will grow in my soil. This has worked out well for me. It doesn't overwinter well but I also don't spray except for when I first plant it.