Won a South Africa hunting trip…..

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
…..at a ducks unlimited event last week. 6 night trip for four people with four tags each included. I’m super pumped.

Thoughts, ideas, etc on people that have taken the trip before. Looking to go in May 2023.

Can you go alittle later,don't know if it really makes a difference but July was really good weather.Find out all you can see if they will help you get guns through if you are taking one,find out all the rules,How will you be hunting,can you pay for other animals?It's cheaper to do on this trip.Whats your plan for taxidermy?euro mounts?Who is it.Only take 1.00 bills for tipping and only put a few in one pocket.Take a neck pillow for flight.Find out about how they do laundry as 2 sets of hunting cloths and couple sets of regular cloths if they do daily.

Have a friend who was raised in SA. He was telling me there a nuances to getting guns in and to where you need to hunt. He shot a gemsbok on one of his hunts. Didn’t even try to bring it back. He said every step is a payoff to get them back. He bought a mount off eBay and said…nobody know the difference.
might be a lead time for required immunizations, if any.

Sounds like a great time

Can you go alittle later,don't know if it really makes a difference but July was really good weather.Find out all you can see if they will help you get guns through if you are taking one,find out all the rules,How will you be hunting,can you pay for other animals?It's cheaper to do on this trip.Whats your plan for taxidermy?euro mounts?Who is it.Only take 1.00 bills for tipping and only put a few in one pocket.Take a neck pillow for flight.Find out about how they do laundry as 2 sets of hunting cloths and couple sets of regular cloths if they do daily.
Prob will need to be last week if may. Can take guns or use theirs, will prob just use theirs. Land Rovers and stalking. One night hunt also. Yes can pay for other animals. Can use their taxidermy or they can ship back hides and racks. Everyone I talk to says it ends up about same price either way. Kuche safaris. I’m flying direct to joahnusburg from Atlanta, gonna do delta one. They do daily laundry, buddies have said you don’t need many clothes because of that. Will take bug spray and sunscreen. Told their vitals are a little more anterior and inferior than white tails, so basically aim at lower point of front shoulder.

Looks fun. Except the operation is pretty small (only 1 million acres) ? kidding

Shipping mounts back from Africa can result in damage to the mount. Mounted animals cost a lot more to ship back. I would recommend shipping capes and skulls back and having the mounts done here. Practice shooting off sticks - not as easy as it looks. Not sure about where you are going if they have Mopane Bees - bug spray doesnt affect them - a head net does.

There are some freight companies that can ship back after they have been inspected.Some of my skulls were boiled too much but they were usable.If you fly into Joberg do they put you up in a guest house the first night.It is kind of strange but ours did and they locked all our weapons in a huge vault.They said everyone knows they are locked up so the bad guys don't mess with it.Razor wire on top of brick walls in Joberg.There wasn't an issue with taking guns in if you filled out forms and of course theres someone you pay to assist you in getting them in.Over there theres someone to pay for everything.

The safari company should have the Africa end of shipping trophies down pat. If you are going to get them mounted in the states - talk to you taxidermist before you go and they will tell you where to ship to US

Be aware that bringing back warthog or any monkey or baboon requires different paperwork and cannot be shipped directly to many taxidermists if they don't have the proper license. Not a serious issue, just another thing to think about.