Winterizing a sprayer

foggy

5 year old buck +
Do sprayers require antifreeze? Any special tricks to winterize your sprayer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do sprayers require antifreeze? Any special tricks to winterize your sprayer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes they do. Do you have a Fimco? I use RV antifreeze and run it through the sprayer and gun.

Unscrew all fittings and make certain all the water is out of the threaded fitting. I have had the plastic fittings crack on me.

Is that why my wand was leaking out of 23 different spots last year???? :)

I need to do a better job on preventable maintenance..... I am bad at that.

It sure wouldn't hurt to run a little antifreeze into the pump. I'm guessing there are parts in the pump such as the diaphragm that may dry out or become tacky when they are not in use. I typically store my sprayer inside so I've never had much for problems.

My father in law has a big sprayer for farming and I was with him when we made a stop at farm and fleet. Antifreeze was on sale so he bought 6 cases of the stuff lol said he should be good to go on his sprayer.

Is that why my wand was leaking out of 23 different spots last year???? :)

I need to do a better job on preventable maintenance..... I am bad at that.
Opps, that's not good. Pretty easy maintenance. I put the sprayer on my atv and park it at an angle where the antifreeze will run into the uptake spot in the tank. I add a gallon or less into the tank and run the sprayer and gun until the tank is mostly empty. I then unscrew each fitting and wipe them dry with paper toweling. Whole project takes 15 mintues and then you can store it where you want.

Make certain you do this away from any pets or kids as antifreeze is toxic.

I just keep my ATV sprayer in the heated garage.

I take my pump and hand wand off and bring them in the house/basement. I then try to undo as many fittings as I can to prevent water in the various lines. Watch your nozzles, valves and strainer - I forgot my strainer last year. I have yet to use anti-freeze, if you can get all water out of it there is nothing to expand and freeze and break things.

I've had broken spray handles on the 1-2 gallon handhelds when we forgot to drain them.

For the atv sprayer, I just drain the tank and run the pump dry. This is usually done after we use it for the last time each year, early September at the latest. Have never used antifreeze and have never had a problem.

edit....I store them in unheated sheds

Last edited:
As said before. The pink Antifreeze. Put a 1/2 gallon in the tank. Run it until it is pink out of every nozzle and hose. Done.

Don't forget about your backpack sprayers too guys!!

Had some issues this year with sprayer parts.....and not sure what I did in the past? ....if anything. o_O

I've got some -50 RV antifreeze. Gonna drain the sprayers as much as possible and then pump it thru. Store in cold shed.

You guys pumping all the antifreeze in your sprayers make sure you rinse them out good before using the next year. One of the biggest problems with herbicide today is compatibility issues. Not saying you will have any problems, but I would triple rinse that crap out before use. Nothing worse than a sprayer full of jelly!

You guys pumping all the antifreeze in your sprayers make sure you rinse them out good before using the next year. One of the biggest problems with herbicide today is compatibility issues. Not saying you will have any problems, but I would triple rinse that crap out before use. Nothing worse than a sprayer full of jelly!

So far no issues from me. Ive rinsed it. But not triple rinsed it. Could not hurt that is for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do. Do you have a Fimco? I use RV antifreeze and run it through the sprayer and gun.

Unscrew all fittings and make certain all the water is out of the threaded fitting. I have had the plastic fittings crack on me.

I did the same lat year with the RV antifreeze...but didnt do the fittings step.

I did the same lat year with the RV antifreeze...but didnt do the fittings step.
Yep, use a paper towel and get the water out of the threads. It only takes a minute and has worked for me after I had a cap split.

I typically add a cleaner in the spring and use the wand to spray the unit clean. Drain and rinse once more and I have had no issues.

Thought about what Mo said and decided to just blow my sprayer out with air. Hooked up a battery and ran the pump to get the air thru the pump and lines. Done
0243c2acc8be285d7306c007df76cdce.jpg

I've never had luck leaving antifreeze in my sprayer. Every year it seems I have to replace the diaphragm in my pumps no matter what I do.

Thought about what Mo said and decided to just blow my sprayer out with air. Hooked up a battery and ran the pump to get the air thru the pump and lines. Done
0243c2acc8be285d7306c007df76cdce.jpg

Smart man!

Un screw the wand from the hose, or lock the trigger on and blow through the wand as well.