Don't forget to winterize your equipment!

FrostInc

A good 3 year old buck
Just a reminder to winterize your food plot equipment.
Here is a check-list for sprayers so that you can use them for many years:
WinterizeCheckList.jpg

Feel free to post any other winterization tips for other equipment below!

I've always read that RV antifreeze is a little easier on the small parts inside the nozzles, etc. It's also supposed to be a little more environmentally friendly, if you're into that sort of thing.

I just winterized mine this evening. I have used RV antifreeze for several years and never had an issue. Seems to work well.

I have a 60 gallon spray rig, boomless, that runs off the pto. I winterized it yesterday. I always wash it out after each use, flush the lines with clean water, drain the tank, leave the screen and housing off, drain the line that goes to the pump, open the wand lever and lock it in the open position so that it drains, and last, pour a little motor oil in the pump and turn it slightly by hand so that it doesn’t sieze up (like it did once before☹️) My aluminum wand froze last winter and split, so I had to have it welded up. I could have sworn………..

As I reflected on the issues with portable and larger sprayers, I realized many issues were likely caused by freezing. For over 30 years I emptied the sprayers and used compressed air as I was taught by my father, but never used antifreeze. Last year I switched to antifreeze and as I entered year two of this process. I realized this was the first year with NO sprayer issues. Since I have six handheld sprayers, one backpack, one 15 gallon and one 25 gallon sprayer, this was an accomplishment. The antifreeze helps keep seals from drying out (I had no bad seals this year) and keeps stray drops of water from ruining a wand (which has happened too many times over the years).

Last edited: