winter kill

I have given up on my Espus Spitzenburg apple. It has been in the ground for 5 years and keeps on winter killing back to just above the graft. Gave it a yank last week and replaced it with a tree from my nursery, I believe a Fireside.

Espus Spitzenburg apple oh no... that's one of the variety of my usda scion sticks I grafted. I have it potted and will be heeling it in over winter... I will be keeping an eye on that one then.

Well more death than I anticipated. My final chestnut crab which was one of best growing trees is dead. That makes all five from Cummins dead. The first four died their first winter, I am guessing they were labeled wrong. The goldrush experiment is also dead. It wasn't going on its fourth leaf and there is a crack the length of the trunk and all the bark is coming off. It started to leaf out but they are starting to shrivel. Pears all had 75% die back, they are goin to Ben removed. Dolgo, Kerr and various crabs from SNL are the only trees thriving in my tundra.

Sorry to hear of the losses, Chummer. Your winter climate there is unreal. I'm glad the SLN trees are doing well though. Your location and SLN's are about the same latitude / winter harshness.

The 2018 Spring catalog from SLN has Chestnut crab in it on Antonovka rootstock. If you'd like to have a Chestnut crab or 2 at your place, maybe give the SLN version a shot next spring. They're much cold-hardier trees. FWIW.

Sorry to hear of the losses, Chummer. Your winter climate there is unreal. I'm glad the SLN trees are doing well though. Your location and SLN's are about the same latitude / winter harshness.

The 2018 Spring catalog from SLN has Chestnut crab in it on Antonovka rootstock. If you'd like to have a Chestnut crab or 2 at your place, maybe give the SLN version a shot next spring. They're much cold-hardier trees. FWIW.

Funny you say that. I have two of theirs growing in roottraper bags right now. I had seven bags left so I put the seven smallest trees they sent me this year in those. I will grow them at home this year and move them up north in the spring. I have also had some grafting success this year so I will be switching some stuff over in the future. NO MORE BORDERLINE ZONE PLANTINGS!!!!

Funny you say that. I have two of theirs growing in roottraper bags right now. I had seven bags left so I put the seven smallest trees they sent me this year in those. I will grow them at home this year and move them up north in the spring. I have also had some grafting success this year so I will be switching some stuff over in the future. NO MORE BORDERLINE ZONE PLANTINGS!!!!
Another future grafting addict. :emoji_man_dancing::emoji_man_dancing::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_relaxed:

I feel certain I have some dead ones too from what I could tell on my last trip to the UP. I will be back this weekend to see for sure. Question, can dead ones be replaced at this time of year with potted trees from local stores/nurseries, or would those be planted in the fall only? I would probably wait to buy bare rooted ones for spring plantings but am curious in case of nice sales.

I feel certain I have some dead ones too from what I could tell on my last trip to the UP. I will be back this weekend to see for sure. Question, can dead ones be replaced at this time of year with potted trees from local stores/nurseries, or would those be planted in the fall only? I would probably wait to buy bare rooted ones for spring plantings but am curious in case of nice sales.
I wouldn't plant now without the ability to water. The rootstock will most likely send up new growth. This is what lead me to grafting, I have a handful of dead trees that have pushed new growth I can graft on to.

Here’s a update on the Apple trees that didn’t want to wake up this spring. They were purchased from Cummins Nursery and planted in the spring of 2016 all on B.118 rootstock.C604BD1E-C2F2-4105-BFDE-478A618CE512.jpeg The first one is a Galarina that came back around 80%. Some of the tips browned up but new leaves are growing where there is life on the limbs.C604BD1E-C2F2-4105-BFDE-478A618CE512.jpeg
The second one is another Galarina. The top is toast, complete die back. There are new leaves coming out of the trunk roughly 15” above the graft. 693B90C6-135D-46EE-8132-20FDB90DB7D1.jpeg
The third one is a Florina Querina that is the same as the second Galarina. It has roughly 30” of life in the trunk with new leaves finally growing.
I plan on waiting a little longer to see if a new central leader is established on the last two. Then late next winter I will prune back the dead wood when pruning time arrives again. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Attachments

• EC09EB02-55BB-42BA-9E99-4F12F2656DDB.jpeg
    EC09EB02-55BB-42BA-9E99-4F12F2656DDB.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 18
Where are you at, Buffalo? I was really hoping Galarina could make it in 4a...

Where are you at, Buffalo? I was really hoping Galarina could make it in 4a...
I’m located in Northeast Portage County in Central Wisconsin. Hardiness Zone 4B. I’ve got three Galarina’s and four Florina Querina’s planted.

My understanding for pruning is that live growth pruned in fall all energy back into roots. Because of the harsh winter and amount of top kill on this winecrisp apple, I pruned back to limit the growth to a new central leader. hoping to overcome dead limbs.20180605_182215.jpg

Waited as long as I could to admit it, but I've lost the majority of last years Miscanthus. Dug some up to take a look and I'm pretty sure I planted too shallow.
20180613_090726.jpg
20180613_090940.jpg

sucks, looks like you had good growth going on too!

That sucks. I've been wondering how well these would do on our sand.
Planted another 200 rhyzomes a month ago. I'll wait and see how those do next spring before trying to replace the first batch.

I tried a few bunches of miscanthus and gave up. I think we are too far north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went out today to check on the progress of the Apple trees and how they are responding. The first is a third leaf Galarina on B.118. The top has been slowly yellowing and dying throughout the summer. It has been vigorously growing new shoots above the graft. I’m guessing the top will eventually die off with all the energy going to the new growth from the trunk. I plan on promoting the most robust shoot for the future central leader.
I have another Galarina and Florina Querina on B.118 rootstock that had complete die back on their tops. They also re sprouted above the graft and are shooting new growth vigorously.
I have other trees that escaped any signs of winter die back that are the same variety, age and rootstock. It’s truly a crapshoot when it comes boarder line planting’s. These are planted in zone 4b. which should have been compatible for these varieties.

Attachments

• BC5DBEFA-F67E-406E-ABB0-9DE4DEF8E4E1.jpeg
    BC5DBEFA-F67E-406E-ABB0-9DE4DEF8E4E1.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 19
  • 23EAAA69-4BA5-43E6-85A4-F63309A9E0F9.jpeg
    23EAAA69-4BA5-43E6-85A4-F63309A9E0F9.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 19
  • CAC723C4-9E46-44D6-9FAA-4E26C74728DD.jpeg
    CAC723C4-9E46-44D6-9FAA-4E26C74728DD.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 19
I went out today to check on the progress of the Apple trees and how they are responding. The first is a third leaf Galarina on B.118. The top has been slowly yellowing and dying throughout the summer. It has been vigorously growing new shoots above the graft. I’m guessing the top will eventually die off with all the energy going to the new growth from the trunk. I plan on promoting the most robust shoot for the future central leader.
I have another Galarina and Florina Querina on B.118 rootstock that had complete die back on their tops. They also re sprouted above the graft and are shooting new growth vigorously.
I have other trees that escaped any signs of winter die back that are the same variety, age and rootstock. It’s truly a crapshoot when it comes boarder line planting’s. These are planted in zone 4b. which should have been compatible for these varieties.

Was your winter colder than normal for zone 4b?

Was there stress on your trees late last summer or fall, either to dry or wet that spurred late fall growth?

Was your winter colder than normal for zone 4b?

Was there stress on your trees late last summer or fall, either to dry or wet that spurred late fall growth?

We went into fall with adequate moisture and normal temperatures. Although the first couple of weeks of the new year were cold. Nighttime temps dipping down in the -15 to -20 range. Which is pretty normal, we had snow pack too.
Of the 90 Apple and pear trees I have these were the three that showed any stress.