Willow cuttings

Does anyone have any special tips on prep to store fresh cuttings for about 4-6 weeks? I have a beer fridge, I figured they can sit in there until then, but should they be stored in a paper bag, plastic bag, plastic bag sealed, open, add a wet paper towl? Thanks for any tips!

Does anyone have any special tips on prep to store fresh cuttings for about 4-6 weeks? I have a beer fridge, I figured they can sit in there until then, but should they be stored in a paper bag, plastic bag, plastic bag sealed, open, add a wet paper towl? Thanks for any tips!

I have put them in fridge just in plastic bag for a few weeks with no issues. You could also just start them in water if they willows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have put them in fridge just in plastic bag for a few weeks with no issues. You could also just start them in water if they willows

While rooting them inside certainly gives them a jump start you can no longer just push them into the ground. You’ll have to dig holes at that point.

Like hillrunner points out moisture is key. I would never start a willow in water until it roots. Kills the ease of planting cuttings because a shovel is then required. Just poke them in the ground early spring before bud break and prey for good moisture. At least 2/3 of the cutting below ground. The more under ground the better. I always like to only leave 2 buds above ground.

Willows are the most forgiving cutting I’ve ever planted.
@Bill what diameter cuttings have you found work best? Does it matter?

While rooting them inside certainly gives them a jump start you can no longer just push them into the ground. You’ll have to dig holes at that point.
I put just a rod, silky, and a sandbar willow in some water in my house 2 weeks ago just to see what happens. They all have leaves. The willow has roots already. No roots on the dogwoods. It is supposed to be good to soak willow cuttings before planting although the grow like weeds, I just wouldn't soak them for more than a couple days for as fast as the roots sprout.

I rooted some with small roots last year and shoved them in ground in the fall. Worked so far. I know you damage roots but they didn’t die so far.

@Bill what diameter cuttings have you found work best? Does it matter?

I haven't found that it matters to much. I've planted them an inch in diameter all the way down to whips thinner then a pencil. The whips were 24 inches long and I used a 1/2 inch wood bore bit on an extension with a dewalt cordless drill to get them at least 18 inches in the ground. Those whips are over 30 foot tall today.

Any specific tricks or techniques for weeping willows?

Budle them and throw in pond,make sure there aren't any beavers though

Any specific tricks or techniques for weeping willows?

Same. Willows are willows. I had to cut down a weeping willow in my yard that my son and I planted 12 years ago.

It was a pencil when we started it. Weed block and we watered it. But in the end it took over the yard.
If it has moisture and weed protection a willow acts like a weed.

I haven't found that it matters to much. I've planted them an inch in diameter all the way down to whips thinner then a pencil. The whips were 24 inches long and I used a 1/2 inch wood bore bit on an extension with a dewalt cordless drill to get them at least 18 inches in the ground. Those whips are over 30 foot tall today.

Thanks. I put about 100 in the ground last weekend just this way. I have another 200-300 in cold storage right now.

If I cut say a 12' piece, I should be able to stick in in the ground 18-24", leave a couple buds, cut it above those buds and stick it in the ground again correct? I could get 3-4 plantings out of 1 cutting that way.

Thanks. I put about 100 in the ground last weekend just this way. I have another 200-300 in cold storage right now.

If I cut say a 12' piece, I should be able to stick in in the ground 18-24", leave a couple buds, cut it above those buds and stick it in the ground again correct? I could get 3-4 plantings out of 1 cutting that way.
Yes, I usually cut the bottom a inch below a node on a angle so it goes in the ground easier. Cut the top of cutting a inch or 2 flat. With willows you can get away with older wood. So you can get multiple cuttings out of a 12 ft piece. Dogwoods I like to try to get 1 year old wood but have had it work with 2 year.

like rucks says, that will work, just dont plant them upside down.