Will these still grow beans?

Those look plenty healthy to me. Can't complain too much about those results. If that is typical of the browsed off areas, you should be happy that the foliage fed the deer through summer and the pods will feed them this fall and maybe even into winter.

The beans will shrivel up quite a bit as they dry.

The beans will shrivel up quite a bit as they dry.
It doesnt matter because you have them planted for deer, but browsed plants mature and dry at irregular times. I'm guessing that's because the plant senses it needs to produce more seed, so u will have green beans and dried ones.
Straw how high up do you have beans?
I'm planting plots next year, but they will be e fenced.

beans brassica.JPG I have about 4 acres of beans. My beans are about a foot hight, and still have quite a few leaves and have not yellowed yet. They have pods and small birrdshot beans in the pods.. They stayed fairly green and kept up with the browse pressure all summer. I planted brasica, radish and rye / oats into them a few weeks ago.....and that is now taking off too. Nice. Lots of variety of food available into fall.

Next year I am going to fertilize in order to get more growth and bigger bean pods.

exclusion.JPG

This area got munched pretty good as evidenced by the exclusion cage. I sprayed the weeds....and the beans came "back" pretty well. Then put some brasica down and still have a nice plot when I checked yesterday. I wish I had snapped a pic.....as this plot looked pretty nice again. Amazing.

I'm going to try to get a pic in the next few days to show the comparison of the plot above. Hard to believe the beans could get that eaten down and still bounce back.

Did u end up mowing those beans that had all those weeds? Is that the plot?
Looks like it worked good if that's the plot. Doesn't look like any weeds in there.

View attachment 7239 I have about 4 acres of beans. My beans are about a foot hight, and still have quite a few leaves and have not yellowed yet. They have pods and small birrdshot beans in the pods.. They stayed fairly green and kept up with the browse pressure all summer. I planted brasica, radish and rye / oats into them a few weeks ago.....and that is now taking off too. Nice. Lots of variety of food available into fall.

Next year I am going to fertilize in order to get more growth and bigger bean pods.

View attachment 7240

This area got munched pretty good as evidenced by the exclusion cage. I sprayed the weeds....and the beans came "back" pretty well. Then put some brasica down and still have a nice plot when I checked yesterday. I wish I had snapped a pic.....as this plot looked pretty nice again. Amazing.

I'm going to try to get a pic in the next few days to show the comparison of the plot above. Hard to believe the beans could get that eaten down and still bounce back.

The plot that is eaten down has no where near enough seeds per acre.

I planted Eagles Northern blend 5 different beans and 4 different maturity groups). They are a little touchy on setting up planter do to different size peas. I went for 8 seeds per row foot and 24 " rows using my 2 row Yetter planter same as 71 Deere. I planted May 1 this year as soil temps were in mid 50's. I only planted 1.5 acres this location (3) 1/4 to 3/4 acre plots. All have survived nicely. I attribute this to getting in early and having Great clover chicory pasture mix plot that gets lot of use with beans along side. I have plenty of beans on even on the highly browsed plants. The Ag beans on both sides my property turned this week deer are here and and two oldest a 4.5 and 5.5 have returned to be regulars. I have read others not getting any bean pods etc. but like anything the money is in the details when and how were they planted and of course weather factors. I am sold on eagles they can take a lot of browsing. I have in both Chippewa and Trempealeau counties seeing same results both places. Just more deer in Chippewa and It is my smallest plot by far.

Beans with Clover pasture mix plot back corner note all but 1 deer are currently in clover.
2015-09-07 18-55-00 T.JPG

Yes I have plenty of deer pressuring but still holding up. Too many deer has changed my pattern this year, Will be tough trying too hunt with that many in area to set alarms off. This is a Isolated plot in Rear gets hit any time of day by younger deer.

2015-08-29 19-22-59 M 1_3.JPG

Pic of Neighboring Bean field with in 200 yards this past week
Soy beans 1.jpg

The farmer has to grow for profit, or at least try. Are you comparing 1.2 maturity AG beans the farmer planted, to the 4.0 AG beans in the Eagle Bag?

What kind of usage do this forage beans get during sept-early oct? This is a time where at beans generally slow down.
My thought is to e fence the beans all summer and take the fence down around sept 1. If the forage beans stay hot early fall, the deer will have a ton of food, leaving a ton of pods for late fall.
I can always just go with fencing ag beans till mid October and keeping clover for more summer forage.

What kind of usage do this forage beans get during sept-early oct? This is a time where at beans generally slow down.
My thought is to e fence the beans all summer and take the fence down around sept 1. If the forage beans stay hot early fall, the deer will have a ton of food, leaving a ton of pods for late fall.
I can always just go with fencing ag beans till mid October and keeping clover for more summer forage.

Yep, I would plant regular maturity AG beans and fence them for later if I had to before wasting money and not getting any pods for late season with eagles.

Did u end up mowing those beans that had all those weeds? Is that the plot?
Looks like it worked good if that's the plot. Doesn't look like any weeds in there.
The top pic in my post was mowed just before it rained. I set the mower at about 12" high and gave it a buzz cut.....took the weed tops off.

The plot that is eaten down has no where near enough seeds per acre.
Had the same seeds / acre as my other plots. I know it looks horrible in the pics....but it really did bounce back to "pretty good" and now the brassica is comming on "good enough' to hunt over it. Shocked me too.

Had the same seeds / acre as my other plots. I know it looks horrible in the pics....but it really did bounce back to "pretty good" and now the brassica is comming on "good enough' to hunt over it. Shocked me too.

May have the same seeds as the others. That plot must be one they like the best, plant twice as many per acre next year.

It doesnt matter because you have them planted for deer, but browsed plants mature and dry at irregular times. I'm guessing that's because the plant senses it needs to produce more seed, so u will have green beans and dried ones.
Straw how high up do you have beans?
I'm planting plots next year, but they will be e fenced.
117_2966.JPG
I think this is a good representation of a small plant(left) and a tall plant(right). I don't think there are as many pods as my FIL has on his ag beans. Especially towards the top. Got seed from him. This is our best plot of beans in 4 tries, I'm sure because it is the largest. 1.25 acre

I count 14 pods on a good plant, that's roughly 70 beans a plant. Ouch that's only a few mouthfuls. That doesn't look like an regular ag bean plant?
Mo-u think I should double my planting rate next year, when the plot is fenced?

I count 14 pods on a good plant, that's roughly 70 beans a plant. Ouch that's only a few mouthfuls. That doesn't look like an regular ag bean plant?
Mo-u think I should double my planting rate next year, when the plot is fenced?

No need when fenced. If beans are 90% germ plant 160,000 per acre, if seed is 85% germ plant around 170,000 per acre. You will get no benefit from planting anymore without deer pressure.

IF..... you can keep deer out of the beans you dont need anywhere close to 160,000 plants per acre. Too many beans and all you get is a bunch of plant and too few pods. My best bean harvest ever on the farm was 72.5 BPA and that was with a final stand of 70,000 from severe crusting in the spring. Beans are no different that brassica trees or anything else. They need room to breathe and gather sun to produce optimally. Plant too heavy and you will smoother them.

July 26,  2012 005 (Small).jpg July 26,  2012 016 (Small).jpg July 26,  2012 017.jpg July 26,  2012 022 (Small).jpg

There are lots of farmers I talk to in my area that are dropping population and increasing bean yield. A few of us are down around dropping 100k and hoping for 90 to emerge.