WI Wolf Hunting

kabic

5 year old buck +
2012 the quota was 116 wolves
2013 the quota was 251 wolves

For 2014 the Wolf Advisory Committee is suggesting a quota of 156

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outd...for-2014-15-season-b99273886z1-259889751.html

The Wolf Advisory Committee consists of DNR biologists and wildlife managers, several federal agency representatives, a representative of the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission and several stakeholder groups, including the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, Wisconsin Trappers Association, Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association, Wisconsin Conservation Congress, Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association and the Timber Wolf Alliance.

Since members vary widely in their views on wolves and consensus on a quota was impossible, they were asked to submit their preferred harvest number on a piece of paper. The submissions ranged from 0 to 300, with a mean of 156. Eleven members preferred a quota of fewer than 150 wolves; nine wanted a quota higher than 160.

That's funny they couldn't come up with number so they took everyone's opinion and averaged them. So the wolf lovers wanted 0 killed, the hard core guys say 300...if they continue this in the future the hard core guys will say kill them all so the average is higher.

2012 the quota was 116 wolves
2013 the quota was 251 wolves

For 2014 the Wolf Advisory Committee is suggesting a quota of 156

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outd...for-2014-15-season-b99273886z1-259889751.html

That's funny they couldn't come up with number so they took everyone's opinion and averaged them. So the wolf lovers wanted 0 killed, the hard core guys say 300...if they continue this in the future the hard core guys will say kill them all so the average is higher.
That kind of sounds like our stake holder teams for setting deer goals in Mn.

find an average and then cut it some more.

Gotta get those deer numbers down with no does this year.

The Wi DNR has little to do with hunting these days ... it has been infiltrated by tree huggers and save the species extremists ...

The Natural Resources Board approved a harvest quota of 156 wolves for the 2014-'15 Wisconsin hunting and trapping season. They say this would result in a 5% decrease in the wolf population.

Anybody wonder why they are decreasing the population so slowly to the goal of 350? They are due to come out with a new wolf plan next year. My guess is will have a significantly higher goal, so they don't want to decrease the population too much now because the population then be below the new goal.

If the population is at 660 a 5% reduction is just 33 wolves so the population the same time next year would be 627. In my mind they should shoot for a 10% reduction for a new population just under 600 for next year.

(insert SSS reference here)

Actually a 5-10% harvest is going to reduce the population at all ..... well it will until next spring. Then your population will be above what it is currently. Glad we dont have wolves here!

There was an article in the MN ODN two weeks ago in the cuffs and collars section. In DNR district 10, trappers removed 12 wolves that were gobbling up calves and other livestock. Last week, the ODN had an article about coyotes. One interesting note was that the yotes were found to feed exclusively on fawns during the birthing season. The researchers also found huge improvements in fawn survival where they removed predators.

I think this will be the tipping point into the abyss if we get a third harsh winter in a row.

A friend of someone I know who traps nuisance wolves for WI said 5 years ago they are way under reporting the numbers (politics involved) and the real count was closer to 3,000-3,500. Truth lies in the middle so while it might not be that high, I think there are enough wolf sightings to support the idea that the population is much higher than the DNR reports (Just like there are more bears).

A friend of someone I know who traps nuisance wolves for WI said 5 years ago they are way under reporting the numbers (politics involved) and the real count was closer to 3,000-3,500. Truth lies in the middle so while it might not be that high, I think there are enough wolf sightings to support the idea that the population is much higher than the DNR reports (Just like there are more bears).
And less deer!

Just finished reading last week's ODN. In the cuffs and collars section, the Duluth area CO received reports of wolves snatching calves there too. Can't seem to settle on what to type after that gem.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outd...ce-wolf-population-b99338455z1-272798681.html

I said in another post that in the new wolf plan due to come out the DNR would be increasing the wolf goal.

Here is an article helping them to justify a higher goal, the people want it...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/274689581.html

In the end, a majority of committee members voted to advance four wolf management options for consideration to Department of Natural Resources executives: Establish the statewide wolf population goal at 350 animals; establish the goal at 650 animals; establish the wolf goal as a range of 300 to 650 animals; or establish a threshold or minimum number of wolves at 350 with no upper limit.

With the zones closing so fast and the hunters having such good success it proves there are many times more wolfs than they say.

Remember when the whole wolf debate started and the WDNR said a goal of ~300 wolves?