Fall 2017 Wisconsin CDAC Meetings

bueller

Back in 2014 Wisconsin transitioned to a County Deer Advisory Council. Three year goals for each county were identified as either INCREASE, MAINTAIN, or DECREASE. For the first time since these initial goals were set these determinations are being revisited. Also the adjustment of zone boundaries is open for consideration. This is the time for our voices, THE PUBLIC, to be heard. Please attend a meeting or two in your county or at the minimum submit your comments through the website. It can be argued that these 3 year goal setting meetings are even more important than the quota meetings held each year.

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/Article/?id=4010
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/cdac.html

I would like to attend the county meeting where my land is but it looks like that might not happen. For what it is worth I will go online and submit my comments. I attended the last meeting and was not impressed at all. I almost thought I was at the Waupaca county meeting. All I heard from the dnr biologist and forester was that there are deer behind every tree and they are eating up all those trees. You would have thought that if we don't shoot lots more deer all the trees will be gone in 5 years. I said my thoughts then and also online commented. When I read the online comments 90% were against increasing doe tags or even having the same number as last season. So what did the board do? Increased the doe tags for this season. What a joke, so much for giving a voice to the citizens. I have no faith in my CDAC. This is Marinette county forest zone.

I would like to attend the county meeting where my land is but it looks like that might not happen. For what it is worth I will go online and submit my comments. I attended the last meeting and was not impressed at all. I almost thought I was at the Waupaca county meeting. All I heard from the dnr biologist and forester was that there are deer behind every tree and they are eating up all those trees. You would have thought that if we don't shoot lots more deer all the trees will be gone in 5 years. I said my thoughts then and also online commented. When I read the online comments 90% were against increasing doe tags or even having the same number as last season. So what did the board do? Increased the doe tags for this season. What a joke, so much for giving a voice to the citizens. I have no faith in my CDAC. This is Marinette county forest zone.
That's sad. So far my CDAC (Juneau County Forest) has done a good job IMO. It's definitely a system that can have very bad results with the wrong people on the board.

Right now it is ~ 2-3 weeks before our meeting and no agenda has been posted.

Even though we are the # 3 or 4 highest DPSM, heard levels were recommended "maintain" with "no tools available to achieve" commented. The only positive was that EAB is getting a strong push from hunters ... best thing that could happen for our zone.

Yes my zone they increased again this year by a couple thousand, this is a forest area, between wolves, and the DNR, the deer will be hurting.

It seems there are a few new representatives on my county's board and a vacant seat. Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end...

It seems there are a few new representatives on my county's board and a vacant seat. Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end...

I know a few of the new representatives, and while I could be wrong, I think they'll do a good job. A few of the old representatives missed more meetings than they attended. They couldn't hold a vote a couple times due to lack of representatives.

Antlerless tags go on sale this week.
  • August 14-Forest Zones (Northern and Central)
  • August 15-Central Farmland Zone
  • August 16-Southern Farmland Zone
  • August 17-All zones available. Tags can be purchased until sold out or the season ends.

I am on a CDAC committee on the Western side of the State. We welcome hunters and interested parties to attend the meetings. Your input matters...but remember...we must think about the whole county and not just what is around your hunting area. No quota's or seasons will satisfy everyone...but at least there is an effort being made to improve the role and voice of hunters through the CDACs. There is no benefit to us to be on the CDAC...we just want to make deer hunting better short term and long term. Just bring an open mind.

I was hoping to make a quick run up tomorrow afternoon to attend the CDAC meeting but with my work schedule this week I just can't. Anybody going to their county's meeting?

I can't make it to mine but I will post my comments during the online public comment period.

I'm planning on going tonight.

If I lived closer, I would be there. Just to figure out how they think our county can sustain one of the highest permits in the state, while being over half in forest country with wolves and bears.

I'm planning on going tonight.
If you do, please let us know how it went. As you are aware sometimes the "minutes" don't really reflect what truly transpired at the meeting.

I wish I could go but I can't. I can already guess how our meeting will go. The dnr biologist will give a presentation saying that the recovery is beyond a success and the northern forest is being overrun with deer. She along with the dnr forester will say that we need to hand out doe tags like candy or there will be no trees left in a few years. The board will listen intently nodding their heads and move for a goal to decrease. During the open online comment period 95% of the comments will be against this plan to decrease. Then the board will ignore those comments and final vote for the decrease goal.

17 total people at the meeting tonight.

Small discussion about moving the DMU boundary line so north of 90/94 and south of hwy 21 would be part of the Central Farmland Zone. DNR warden was against it as was everyone else in attendance. They all felt this area needed an increase in deer also, even though there is quite a bit of farmland compared to north of 21. This change didn't get approved. Boundary units stay the same as last three years.

Central Forest Zone vote was to increase the herd. Five people from the public spoke and said they are seeing more deer and feel things are going in the right direction. They all said, including the DNR warden, that they need an increase in deer, yet happy with the progress being made.

Central Farmland Zone vote was to maintain. No other discussion for this area.

Next meeting Oct 11 from 6-8pm.

^^^ thanks for the report. I'm glad everything is staying on the current course.

I wasn't able to make our meeting last night but I had emailed the committee members my thoughts and one of the members emailed back his thoughts which were right in par with mine. He filled me in with how the meeting went and it sounds like it went really good. They are proposing to make a boundary move for the zone and keep an "increase" goal. Both of which I strongly agree with.

I wasn't able to make our meeting last night but I had emailed the committee members my thoughts and one of the members emailed back his thoughts which were right in par with mine. He filled me in with how the meeting went and it sounds like it went really good. They are proposing to make a boundary move for the zone and keep an "increase" goal. Both of which I strongly agree with.
Forgive me if you mentioned it previously, but what county is this?

Forgive me if you mentioned it previously, but what county is this?
Marinette county northern forest zone. The current zone boundary is too far south and includes lots of ag area. This made it tuff for the committee when deciding on antlerless tags as there are a lot more deer down there compared to the northern parts of the county. I hope the boundary change gets approved.