WI Deer harvest the lowest in 30+ years (maybe)

I need to seriously learn how to trap yotes. I ran a muskrat line as a kid but that's easy. Yotes are different and my local trapper has gotten old enough that if he can't drive to it, he's not trapping it. I just don't feel comfortable enough to let someone else have free rain on my place.

Start a trapping thread and teach us clueless guys.
Bill
If you watch Grant Woods (GrowingDeerTv)weekly show he starts to emphasize coyote trapping and how it's done starting this past week. Otherwise go to his last winter and previous January shows with tips on how to do it from a professional trapper.

I can't say if our predator control has directly contributed to more deer. We've had a really stable deer population for decades. (Coyotes have been hunted for decades, as well). One thing I can say, is our trail cam pics of coyotes has plummeted. We only had a handful of yote pics since summer. In the past, we would see a few yotes gun season, and that hadn't been the case either.
I know nofo has had bad experiences with yote hunters, that unfortunate, because serious predator control can't hurt the quality of deer hunting. The best thing is, it's a freaking blast!!!!

Is something wrong with me, I'm not super excited about the 60 acre private island off the Dominican Republic I'll have this January, because I'll be missing out on yote hunting?
Nope. I'd pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I'd pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is this little thing they call a wife :rolleyes:

There is this little thing they call a wife :rolleyes:

Start talking to her about a big thing call Tsunami.

Just saw that the DNR revised their prelim totals from the 9 day gun season. They lowered the grand total and now only shows a 1% increase from last year. The numbers were lowered after duplicate registrations were discovered.

So can we say this year and last were the 2 worst seasons in 20 years?

If u want the insane numbers from the late 90s-05ish, your gonna have to move to Kansas or something. Those days are done for a variety of reasons. Yes, the dnr has an agenda to prevent that population.

If u want the insane numbers from the late 90s-05ish, your gonna have to move to Kansas or something. Those days are done for a variety of reasons. Yes, the dnr has an agenda to prevent that population.
So your saying I may never see a deer again. Wow I better sell my chuck of land before the price of rec land tanks if these are the new norm.

So your saying I may never see a deer again. Wow I better sell my chuck of land before the price of rec land tanks if these are the new norm.
You are in se portage county?
Saw the 2015 9 day harvest by county. Waupaca took 3101 bucks, more than 6 northern zone counties combined. Waupaca doe count was down 5% over last year. Amazing. Northern zone killed 8,000 antlerless? Way too many.
Just got back from a night with my buddies from vilas county. They averaged more antlerless deer than we did opening weekend, on my farm. And 2 yearling bucks all season????? 16-25 antlerless deer, hardly a buck?, and can't pull the trigger???
There are POCKETS of deer!!!!! Everywhere! Including the dead zone of northern wi. Habitat and pressure are the keys to the manson, that's why we are here boys!

Just saw that the DNR revised their prelim totals from the 9 day gun season. They lowered the grand total and now only shows a 1% increase from last year. The numbers were lowered after duplicate registrations were discovered.

Electronic registration was new this year and as with any new system, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources conducted a thorough verification process to make sure everything was working properly. The system itself has worked well, but a number of inadvertent duplicate entries by hunters in the field were discovered. As a result, the deer registration count for the 2015 nine-day gun deer season currently stands at 201,812. System updates are in place to prevent any further duplicate entries.

My county was down almost 10%, the central farmland was down overall almost 5% so my thread title was true in part. The slight statewide increase was from almost a 11% jump in the northern region and the almost 9% jump in the southern farmland region where my guess is that the relaxed CWD policy and them having less predators has allowed the herd to grow down there.

You are in se portage county?

Just got back from a night with my buddies from vilas county. They averaged more antlerless deer than we did opening weekend, on my farm. And 2 yearling bucks all season????? 16-25 antlerless deer, hardly a buck?, and can't pull the trigger???
There are POCKETS of deer!!!!! Everywhere! Including the dead zone of northern wi. Habitat and pressure are the keys to the manson, that's why we are here boys!
Adams County

That electronic registration for WI is a PITA!!! I could eat dinner and pass the corn before you got a deer registered.

That electronic registration for WI is a PITA!!! I could eat dinner and pass the corn before you got a deer registered.

I personally thought it went real quick when registering my son's deer.

What are you talking about? I registered a deer using the app while DRIVING and I was done in way less than 5 mintues.

Maybe Satch was one of those guys who registered his deer a few times which is why it took so long.

What are you talking about? I registered a deer using the app while DRIVING and I was done in way less than 5 mintues.
While driving??? That's brilliant and ILLEGAL! The MN system would have taken you about 60 seconds and you would have had 4 minutes with less chance to kill someone.
Maybe Satch was one of those guys who registered his deer a few times which is why it took so long.
Nope, just a SLOW (call-in) system that by WI DNR's own admission has flaws.

Last edited:
Satchmo, did you call in or use website?

I used the Web and it went pretty fast.

We called them in. The renter apparently had a problem where he must have gotten happy fingers and thinks he registered his doe as a buck, because it never asked him WHAT he shot. Had to call the DNR helpline. It was way faster when he called. The gal just did a deletion and re-registered it for him while he was talking to her. A case where the human eliminated the error.