WI Deer harvest the lowest in 30+ years (maybe)

I talked to a guy that works in the hardware store. They have a camp in northern Mn. and have not killed a deer in 3 years. It is a sad situation. A group hunts the weekend and nobody sees a deer, not to mention a buck and they are in a bucks only area.

I northern Sconny that bad?
Parts of it, yes

Just saw on the news harvest was up this year from last year.

2015: 204,725
2014: 199,583

Now the dnr will state that the herd has recovered and want to issue more doe tags. The increase is so small it is statistically irrelevant.

We had way better weather this year than last. I consider it a worse kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had way better weather this year than last. I consider it a worse kill.

I agree the weather was better overall for most fair weather hunters to be out in the woods hunting. Also there should have been more hunters as more licenses were sold. Add in the milder winter last year and one would think the harvest would have increased way more than it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now the dnr will state that the herd has recovered and want to issue more doe tags. The increase is so small it is statistically irrelevant.

Jeff Pritzl was yapping that he would like to see the doe harvest go up in farmland areas. Every time I see him him yapping, I get the feeling he wants every deer killed...maybe it's just me but that is the vibe I get from him.

IMO when comparing year X vs year Y, the buck harvest holds more weight than the overall kill because the number of antlerless permits available varies year to year.

We had way better weather this year than last. I consider it a worse kill
Weather was great this year and the majority of the corn was harvested this year. Last year there was a lot of standing corn through gun season.

I'm sure some farmland areas do have too many deer. But overall the herd is down even in those areas. I hunted in SW wi and this was the worst year we have ever had. The years of unlimited doe tags for peanuts has caught up to us. We also have a bad yote problem where I hunt. We shot more yotes then deer. Up at my cabin the deer do seem to be on a slow rebound but they issued doe tags for some dumb reason. Northern marinette county. That does not help. I wish they would stop antlerless in northern and central forest and go to hunters choice on a drawing for limited choice tags in farmland to truly let the herd try to recover. I wouldn't even mind a single buck tag either weapon (one buck per hunter per year). The yearling bucks are getting hammered up by me. Another key is getting control of the predator population.

I'm sure some farmland areas do have too many deer. But overall the herd is down even in those areas. I hunted in SW wi and this was the worst year we have ever had. The years of unlimited doe tags for peanuts has caught up to us. We also have a bad yote problem where I hunt. We shot more yotes then deer. Up at my cabin the deer do seem to be on a slow rebound but they issued doe tags for some dumb reason. Northern marinette county. That does not help. I wish they would stop antlerless in northern and central forest and go to hunters choice on a drawing for limited choice tags in farmland to truly let the herd try to recover. I wouldn't even mind a single buck tag either weapon (one buck per hunter per year). The yearling bucks are getting hammered up by me. Another key is getting control of the predator population.

Farmer about 1 1/2 miles from me took 13 baldies/nubbins on crop damage tags before gun sesson. A hmong group from Milwaukee came and hunted before gun hunting and a guy I know saw that they had 5 deer in the trunk...all fawns/nubbins.

I heard a couple coyotes chasing deer while sitting Saturday in a bow only zone, looks like they got lucky as not one deer went past my camera in this particular spot for two days while they ate the kill. Makes any recovery tough.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
^^^^^^sucks

So why does the PDF have a higher number for 2014 than the press release? I guess it must have the muzzleloader kills included.
I think that PDF includes all gun kills including muzzleloader and youth season. This one confirms the 2014 9 day season numbers.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/deerharvest2.pdf

I heard a couple coyotes chasing deer while sitting Saturday in a bow only zone, looks like they got lucky as not one deer went past my camera in this particular spot for two days while they ate the kill. Makes any recovery tough.
This gets me pumped, yotie season just around the corner. This year we will have 2 different handlers running in seperate locations at the same time. With our trapping numbers we might hit the century mark!!!!

This gets me pumped, yotie season just around the corner. This year we will have 2 different handlers running in seperate locations at the same time. With our trapping numbers we might hit the century mark!!!!

I need to seriously learn how to trap yotes. I ran a muskrat line as a kid but that's easy. Yotes are different and my local trapper has gotten old enough that if he can't drive to it, he's not trapping it. I just don't feel comfortable enough to let someone else have free rain on my place.

Start a trapping thread and teach us clueless guys.

Maybe next year, ground is froze and snow on ground, ends trapping season.
Scent posts at funnels/ crossings are gold. Could probably Google or u tube search.
Trapping isn't near the fun

Maybe next year, ground is froze and snow on ground, ends trapping season.

Frozen ground and snow is perfect for cable restraints. Cable season is just getting started. I wish the ground would freeze and then get about 6" of snow. I just put 6 cables out yesterday and have dozens on standby. I'll be putting some more out in the next few days.

I agree with Bill, we could use a good predator/trapping thread.

Last edited:

Probably a big reason why you are seeing more deer than others. Our neighborhood is going to toss some extra cash into the pot for everyone caught if we can find a trapper. I believe the raw fur price is a dismal $15 which doesn't give much incentive.

Ask the hound/coyote guys working the same dirt year over year if they see a significant drop in yotes over time due to effective hunting. The answer will be no. If waupaca dpsm is 70 vs antigo 20 , it has nothing to do with which area has more effective yote gangs.

Our local coyote density is crazy so I believe it would make a positive impact in my local area. Our fawn recruitment has been low and I've seen way too many fawn and yearling buck kills the past few years for my liking.