Why is buckwheat being hardy?

roymunson

5 year old buck +
Planted some buckwheat as a summer conditioning plot. At 60 days I mowed it to get the seed down and then 2 weeks later sprayed it. Got a good kill.

Then planted 2 weeks after that.

Today I took a look at it, and I've got some spots with some really nice buckwheat sprouts coming back up. Is that from the seed that probably hadn't germinated? It had been really dry too, so no moisture got the seed "up" but I'm shocked with how we'd sprayed things that the buckwheat came back.

I guess it's good browse, and will die once it frosts, but I'd rather have my brassicas getting the sun.

Oh Well. It's tonnage.

It sure is. It’s happened to me in the past. I never let it go to seed after I learned that lesson. I had lots of volunteer buckwheat in my brassica and I didn’t want it. It was shading out lots of my brassica plants. Brassicas are meant for late season when I plant them.

That is a volunteer crop from the buckwheat that went to seed. I find it a great addition to a fall plot. Unless it is so thick other seed can't germinate (has never happened in my soil), I don't see a problem. Annuals like buckwheat have a lot of energy when the plants are young and are very attractive to deer in the fall. Any that the deer don't eat will die at the first frost to make room for your cool season plant.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep volunteer, buckwheat matures quickly..
Once a buckwheat field, always a buckwheat field.. as the saying goes :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I should have mowed before it went to seed. But so it goes. Just don't wanna ruin my brassica plot, but I think thats out of my control now

I should have mowed before it went to seed. But so it goes. Just don't wanna ruin my brassica plot, but I think thats out of my control now

Unless you had a heavy crop and very rich soils, it will likely enhance your brassica crop!

I think the grasshoppers are doing that work on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer to the thread title.

because “I” didn’t plant it.....

Every time I see this topic I read "why is buckwheat so horny"