Who hunts with a 30/30?

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Hello.
I am a collector. ( hoarder?) of lever guns.

I got a bunch of 30/30 s, that I never seem to hunt with.

300 savage or 7 mm O8 is about as low as I go in power.

what’s the skinny on the turtty turty!

thanks in advance

Marlin 336 loaded with 170 grain core-lokts. All my shots are within 100 yards and I never feel undergunned.

Father-in-law gave me one as a Christmas gift while I was dating my wife in high school. All I ever used for deer hunting from the mid 1980s until about 2015. Served me just fine, though I almost always used it in wooded areas of the southeast where my shots were under 100 yards.

And my move to another caliber around 2015 didn't see me moving to something with more kick, but instead primarily to a Browning BAR .243 as I moved to a property with lots of yotes and hogs I can shoot in open spaces well beyond 100 yards.

This article does a fairly good job speaking to why the 30/30 likely does own the often repeated claim to being the firearm that has dropped the most American whitetails.

Last edited:
I really like lever guns. Cowboy assault rifles...grin. Before the prices ran up.....I accumulated all the real nice Marlins I could at fair prices. 4- like new, Marlin lever 22's (centennials, mounties). Two Marlin 94 Mounties in 357 mag. A Marlin 94 Mountie 44 Mag. A Savage 99 in 308 Win. Two Henry Lever action .410 shotguns.....and I own a Winchester 94 Illinois Sesqutenial Model that was given to me by my step father.....and never fired.

I also have a SS Rossi 94 in 357 Magnum that rides along on the tractor. May have forgotten a few? Favorites to shoot are those 357 / 38 spcl.l Marlins ( I like ringing steel at 50 + yards).....and I like ammo that fits my revolvers and rifles. Those Henry .410 Shotguns are versatile and great house/truck guns.....may be the last to go? Pretty soon time to gift some of those guns to my grandsons and granddaughters....and their families. Gonna be hard for me to do....tho most of the g-kids are now old enough to appreciate them for what they are....and they are starting to have families too. Likely start with giving those 22's at Christmas.

Never shot at a deer with any of em. Better guns for such things.....tho it would be fun to shoot a bear with that 44 Magnum Marlin.

Kinda a double edge sword. I really have enjoyed collecting those guns......and I suppose I like moving them along too......in a bitter-sweet kinda way. To me.....those guns are fine art.

I shot my first deer with a Winchester 94 30-30. It was about a 200 yard shot and the buck (a basket 6) piled up about 50 yrds after impact.

My old man is a bit of a collector of Winchester leaver guns. Mainly 94 17’s and trappers of various calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My very first gun was an H&R break action with a 20 gauge and 30-30 interchangeable barrels. I still have it. Haven't used it since I was a kid.

I have been selling my rarely used guns, but had a nice lever gun collection and focused on getting the .30-30 models, so I had easily obtainable ammo for the 100 year old or so guns.

MY attraction to 30-30 was thje basic cor-lokt ammo was a few dollars cheaper than the 30-06 and 308 budget ammo.

You can do just fine with it. I have liked cor-lokt ammo in the past because remmington has relatively soft lead n copper.

Alot of myths about gun problems are associated with a few things. Poor shot placement, not much fixes this except something close to a cannon. The large one is lack of a blood trail. What commonly does this is shooting high in the lungs, the blood stops circulating causing death, but stays in the chest cavity.

The huge saving grace for 30-30 is it's bullet shape. You need a round nose for the magazine tube. This make the gun manufacturers to produce a bullet unique to the 30-30, which means it's well sutied for the velocity produces. 300 win mag, 22-250, oddballs like 243wssm and 270wsm have trouble here. There have unique velocities and the ammo makers match them with slower velocity bullets, causing fragmenting and even stability problems......

Every hunting region can create a culture amoung it. I hunt the adirondacks, there are groups of hunters who only use open sighted lever guns.

IF you have a good blind / large stand. Bring up both guns on a nice day. Deer is up close, use your lever gun.

95% of my target shooting is open sighted competition 22lr rifles, or open sighted flintlocks. I competitively shoot blackpowder woodswalk shoots. Open sights can have 2 problems tool ittle light or too much light when the snow is out. Most marbles and williams front sights are white. That is a problem where folks shoot too low. You want to shoot a white dot somewhere between a white and brown target. Sight and target contrast make a big difference. I just about never shoot a white target, usually use natural cardboard color. That being said, choose a front sight color that contrasts well. I like the green glow in the dark paint. The marbles brass sights work well. Even the kids acrylic paint work well too. Wipe it off when your done.

I’ve got a 336SC with a serial number that puts it in the first year of production in 1948. It was already drilled for a scope when I got it so I added a 2x7 Leupold.

This rifle fits me. It points right where it should without any fuss. I’ve carried it a few times hunting but never had the right deer show up.

This is my favorite rifle. It shoots coreloct 150 and 170 with equal accuracy, so I just picked the 170s and stuck with them. Eventually I’ll kill a deer with it. I just always seem to have my M70 in .270 with me when the right deer shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level guns are cool I hunted for many years with a marlin 30-30 heavy timber iron sights. My brother used 300 Savage model 99. I bought a brand new Winchester 94 22LR around 1994 in semi fancy walnut I now wish I would of bought the full fancy walnut it’s a hoot to shoot.

I would like to pick up a 336.but there was a really neat 45-70 on bowsite.comthat a guy had custom made with a big lever and creacote treated for Alaska,it was also a brakedown.

Lever's arent the best for a followup shot. Pump or semi auto is best..... Item 347 on my never ending wish list is a 30-06 browning BAR. Item 4 is a new left foot so I can stalk hunt all day........

Sold alot of my rifles over the past few years. Only regret selling a walnut 30-06 700adl. Great gun...

My only 3 centerfires are a browning BLR in450 marlin, a glenfield model 30 in 30-30, and some SKS's. One has a burris red dot on it. Rarely go in the woods without the 450 marlin BLR. IF the weather is nice and not opening weekend, a lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 cal flintlock or a 45 cal early virginia flintlock I made. If it's raining, I can bring a flintlock just fine more or less, but I am nice to the wood n steel and take a thompson center omega with a bushnell elite 3200 scope with firefly recticle. Thick and glows in the dark 1.5-4.5x32. Have the same scope on my browning BLR. got a burris 1-5x scope to put on it with light up recticle. Might just sell it.....

Lever's arent the best for a followup shot. Pump or semi auto is best..... Item 347 on my never ending wish list is a 30-06 browning BAR. Item 4 is a new left foot so I can stalk hunt all day........

Sold alot of my rifles over the past few years. Only regret selling a walnut 30-06 700adl. Great gun...

My only 3 centerfires are a browning BLR in450 marlin, a glenfield model 30 in 30-30, and some SKS's. One has a burris red dot on it. Rarely go in the woods without the 450 marlin BLR. IF the weather is nice and not opening weekend, a lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 cal flintlock or a 45 cal early virginia flintlock I made. If it's raining, I can bring a flintlock just fine more or less, but I am nice to the wood n steel and take a thompson center omega with a bushnell elite 3200 scope with firefly recticle. Thick and glows in the dark 1.5-4.5x32. Have the same scope on my browning BLR. got a burris 1-5x scope to put on it with light up recticle. Might just sell it.....

That's not what I see on the Rifleman. :emoji_smile:

30/30 one of the best guns to use in heavy cover. At least that's my opinion. As far a a fast follow up shot. If you use a lever enough its just as fast as a pump. But more importantly you should never need a follow up shot that fast.

Wait...you guys need follow-up shots???:emoji_smile:

I really like lever guns. Cowboy assault rifles...grin. Before the prices ran up.....I accumulated all the real nice Marlins I could at fair prices. 4- like new, Marlin lever 22's (centennials, mounties). Two Marlin 94 Mounties in 357 mag. A Marlin 94 Mountie 44 Mag. A Savage 99 in 308 Win. Two Henry Lever action .410 shotguns.....and I own a Winchester 94 Illinois Sesqutenial Model that was given to me by my step father.....and never fired.

I also have a SS Rossi 94 in 357 Magnum that rides along on the tractor. May have forgotten a few? Favorites to shoot are those 357 / 38 spcl.l Marlins ( I like ringing steel at 50 + yards).....and I like ammo that fits my revolvers and rifles. Those Henry .410 Shotguns are versatile and great house/truck guns.....may be the last to go? Pretty soon time to gift some of those guns to my grandsons and granddaughters....and their families. Gonna be hard for me to do....tho most of the g-kids are now old enough to appreciate them for what they are....and they are starting to have families too. Likely start with giving those 22's at Christmas.

Never shot at a deer with any of em. Better guns for such things.....tho it would be fun to shoot a bear with that 44 Magnum Marlin.

Kinda a double edge sword. I really have enjoyed collecting those guns......and I suppose I like moving them along too......in a bitter-sweet kinda way. To me.....those guns are fine art.
When my oldest son was younger, we went to a dove shoot, to which I always carry several guns just for sentimentality. I realized my son was sitting with his gun, one of his dad's, his granddad's and his great granddad's. So passing them down connects you with the future!

Do you have any 450 marlin brass to spare?

I just bought one.

Thanks
Cash or trade?

My mother inlaw’s cousin just contacted me the other day he is in his 80’s he had a Wards Westernfield 22 my mother inlaws dad gave him as a kid he wanted to give back to my boys. Interesting old gun made by Mossburg for Wards back in the day. I haven’t shot it yet he did say there is a pin that needs replaced that holds the bolt head on when removed from the gun. So I’ll have to find or make one to replace it. Nice sentimental value on that one also.

Reviving an older thread here, but I hunt with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. While my first deer harvest was during bow season, my first rifle season harvest was with this Marlin. It's my go-to deer rifle out to 150 yards. Proving I am old school (or just plain old), my other deer gun is a Savage 110 in 30-06. Sadly, only the Savage notched a tag this year, and I am awaiting blackpowder season to burn my last antlered tag with a Thompson Center.

It's ironic how a lever gun brings appreciative smiles every time one shows up at deer camp.

We use the tirty-tirty once in a while.... A short lever gun in 30-30 is a great tree stand gun for hunting places with limited range (maybe 150 yards max)....both of these where taken at under 100 yards.

My daughters first deer ever was with my 30-30 (Scoped Marlin 336 CS) - and my first deer with a rifle was with the same gun....Indiana didn't allow 30-30 previously. I think these are the only 2 deer we have taken with 30-30.

It's funny how we now use a 308....due to it's greater "reach".....yet we still mostly shoot deer at 100 yards or closer. Man, if my wife reads this...she gonna be pi$$ed!

30 30.jpg

I have been wanting to buy a lever gun to replace the one I sold 45 years ago,My wife has a 32 win special from her dad and my daughters each have an marlin landrush .22 rifles.Oh yea one of my daughter won a 336 laminaterd QDMA stainless but she doesn't want it shot either