Who are you?

Chris here. E-axle engineering manager by day, committed weekend warrior and habitat wannabe by night. Single dad of a spunky 16 year old daughter....she’s my purpose and reason for everything in life. Live in Livingston Co. MI and have a cabin/future retirement home/property in Mid-Michigan. I travel too much and I work too much but still found/find the time to raise my daughter. Her independence has allowed me to recommit myself to my second passion...habitat and jerky. Started shooting archery at 7 and have been an avid hunter for well over a quarter century.

I’ll do my best to contribute to this already amazing site.

Chris here. E-axle engineering manager by day, committed weekend warrior and habitat wannabe by night. Single dad of a spunky 16 year old daughter....she’s my purpose and reason for everything in life. Live in Livingston Co. MI and have a cabin/future retirement home/property in Mid-Michigan. I travel too much and I work too much but still found/find the time to raise my daughter. Her independence has allowed me to recommit myself to my second passion...habitat and jerky. Started shooting archery at 7 and have been an avid hunter for well over a quarter century.

Welcome Chris!

Welcome aboard and thanks for raising a good kid in these times.

Good morning, my name is Jeremy. I live in South Mississippi, where I work for an Electric Cooperative as a Licensed Surveyor. I manage a small, yet very busy surveying and drone department. I also have a side business doing land management work.. food plots, light clearing(dozer and tractor), feeding, etc
I have a 21 year old daughter that was an avid hunter until college came along. I remarried 5 years ago and now also have a 1 YEAR OLD SON!
My wife's family owns a 1200 acre tree farm that none of the other family members really "use", either due to lack of interest or living too far away. I've been working on improving the property over that last few years through spring and fall planting, controlled burns, planting hard mast trees, etc. and I hope to start planting soft mast trees this winter as time and budget allows.
I probably enjoy the management side of my outdoor obsession as much as actually hunting.
I'm hoping to create/increase the habitat for our deer, turkey and quail while also continuing to provide income through timber production.
I found this forum while searching for reviews/insight on the cuddeback dual cell cams.. (still haven't made a purchase)

Good morning, my name is Jeremy. I live in South Mississippi, where I work for an Electric Cooperative as a Licensed Surveyor. I manage a small, yet very busy surveying and drone department. I also have a side business doing land management work.. food plots, light clearing(dozer and tractor), feeding, etc
I have a 21 year old daughter that was an avid hunter until college came along. I remarried 5 years ago and now also have a 1 YEAR OLD SON!
My wife's family owns a 1200 acre tree farm that none of the other family members really "use", either due to lack of interest or living too far away. I've been working on improving the property over that last few years through spring and fall planting, controlled burns, planting hard mast trees, etc. and I hope to start planting soft mast trees this winter as time and budget allows.
I probably enjoy the management side of my outdoor obsession as much as actually hunting.
I'm hoping to create/increase the habitat for our deer, turkey and quail while also continuing to provide income through timber production.
I found this forum while searching for reviews/insight on the cuddeback dual cell cams.. (still haven't made a purchase)
Welcome Jeremy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Glad you found us. Welcome to HT. Sounds like you’ve been experimenting with things like the rest of us. Share when you can. Congrats on the 1 year old!

Glad to find this forum and am sure I know some of you from other forums! Love to do things the right way, and help others along the way if I can. Have read several threads on this site regarding habitat improvements/management and wanted a deeper dive. My primary focus is understanding more about growing trees from seed (focusing on chestnuts/oaks), and food plot management. Operated a small wildlife tree farm at one point that did well, just did not have the time to dedicate to take it to the next level. Hope to learn more, and provide information so I can get back to that at some point.

Last edited:
Glad to find this forum and am sure I know some of you from other forums! Love to do things the right way, and help others along the way if I can. Have read several threads on this site regarding habitat improvements/management and wanted a deeper dive. My primary focus is understanding more about growing trees from seed (focusing on chestnuts/oaks), and food plot management. Operated a small wildlife tree farm at one point that did well, just did not have the time to dedicate to take it to the next level. Hope to learn more, and provide information so I can get back to that at some point.
Welcome Kdog!

New here, my name is Dylan and I’m from the great badger state 28 years old and I work for the local power company. I was part of the q forum when it was rocking and I learned a lot from there and I look forward to learning a lot from you guys/gals here.

New here, my name is Dylan and I’m from the great badger state 28 years old and I work for the local power company. I was part of the q forum when it was rocking and I learned a lot from there and I look forward to learning a lot from you guys/gals here.
Welcome Dybilly!

I’m Roy and have been retired for almost five years ( were did the time go). I have a 100 acres in central Wisconsin and my passion involves modifying and improving the land to suit my interests. Many years ago I got interested in putting in food plots and planting apple trees to bring in more deer. Now I’d have to say I enjoy the land management and growing stuff part more than hunting. I have two food plots totaling over 4 acres, planted over 30 apple trees ( have successfully bud grafted some) 25 hybrid hazelnuts, 25 Chinese chestnuts and an 80 plus grape vine vineyard that I am producing what I feel is some of the best Midwest wine around. My deer hunting has improved a lot over the years, but now I want to take to the next level and hunt mature bucks only. It really is like hunting a different animal. I have the trail cam picture to prove they are there but they're all at night. Hopefully I can change that.

I recently acquired a really heavy duty grapple for my tractor ladder backhoe and can’t wait to do some major land renovations. The food plots I have now are more like destination plots so I want to put in some smaller hunting plots along with using some of the red pines I take out in the process to create travel corridor funnels and create more bedding areas.

I stumbled upon this site searching for crabapple varieties and felt it would be worth my time to join the group. In the past I always enjoyed searching the web and groups like this for information but have never been much of a contributor myself. From the limited number of threads I’ve viewed so far I do think I could contribute some good feed back information. Not sure how joining this group will be for my new years resolution to be more productive, but I am looking forward to interacting with the like minded individuals here.

Welcome Dylan and Roy!

Welcome fellas,

Always good to see some new blood join the group. Dont hesitate to ask or post.

But dont forget to use the search, tons of quality archived info. Ive spent many hours reading stuff back to start of this place.

and another welcome out to some fellow Cheese Heads! Dybilly & Farmsteader

Farmsteader, nice to see a source of info on grapes. I just put in 14 varieties 2 years ago and I am working on my grape learning curve might pick your brain sometime in the future. Would love to see a post on your grapes!

I'm interested in that wildlife tree farm. What exactly is that?

Welcome to the new folks and a question for farmsteader about your hydrid hazelnuts. How long have you been trying to grow these and any sources of hybrids you would recommend.

I have only planted some in the last few years and sourced some from SW Wisconsin and others from Vermont. I have them growing on southern facing slopes but would say they still grow a bit slow. Mostly I'm planting them for my harvest someday but if the turkeys and other critters get some that is cool too.

Farmsteader, nice to see a source of info on grapes. I just put in 14 varieties 2 years ago and I am working on my grape learning curve might pick your brain sometime in the future. Would love to see a post on your grapes!
Here is a picture of the vineyard last summer . I can't believe this is the only one I took last year. I have hundreds from the early years. I have 12 varieties that were planted in 2013. I'll post an older one next showing the whole vineyard.
IMG_2515.JPG

Still trying to get used to how to post on this forum. This is from 2018. I got about 20 gallons aging in carboys now. Would love to talk / show more. Not sure if this thread is the place.
IMG_1070.JPG

Still trying to get used to how to post on this forum. This is from new section 2018. I got about 20 gallons aging in carboys now. Would love to talk / show more. Not sure if this thread is the place.
View attachment 27503
Welcome!
Tell me about any trouble with posting. We’re always looking for ways to improve things.

Looks like you got the posting pics figured out. That’s a plus!

Probably belongs in the fruit tree section but if you grape guys keep at it we my need a section

Welcome to the new folks and a question for farmsteader about your hydrid hazelnuts. How long have you been trying to grow these and any sources of hybrids you would recommend.

I have only planted some in the last few years and sourced some from SW Wisconsin and others from Vermont. I have them growing on southern facing slopes but would say they still grow a bit slow. Mostly I'm planting them for my harvest someday but if the turkeys and other critters get some that is cool too.
I got three from arbor day in 2015. They have been growing slow too. The biggest one is about 5 feet tall and has a lot of new shoots coming up. It twice as big as the other two and grew much faster last summer. The other 25, I got from Forest Agriculture Enterprises in western Wisconsin and planted them in 2017. These are there CONTROLLED-CROSS SELECTED SEEDLING HYBRIDS. They were really nice plants with lots of roots. They are growing much faster, but part of the reason may be due to better care that I'm giving them. Last year I got a few nuts so I'm hoping some day soon I will be able to try and cross breed the better ones.