All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you?

Hi, been lurking here for awhile reading up on people doing a lot of the same stuff I am working on. It's really nice to find an active forum like this in 2019.

We have 24 acres, 10 mixed hardwood, and 14 in old hay fields. We are zone 5a in upstate NY. Lordstown/Mardin/Volusia complex soils.

I've become very interested in chestnut trees, and am planning to start planting out a few acres of proven hybrids that have survived the NY winters. Also keeping my fingers crossed that the SUNY-ESF GMO american chestnut will be available in the next few years. The most recent ACF journal (Spring 2019) conceded that the back crossing program has been a failure.

Of course I am also getting a lot of other stuff started like paw paw, apple, pear, plum, peach.

Hi, been lurking here for awhile reading up on people doing a lot of the same stuff I am working on. It's really nice to find an active forum like this in 2019.

We have 24 acres, 10 mixed hardwood, and 14 in old hay fields. We are zone 5a in upstate NY. Lordstown/Mardin/Volusia complex soils.

I've become very interested in chestnut trees, and am planning to start planting out a few acres of proven hybrids that have survived the NY winters. Also keeping my fingers crossed that the SUNY-ESF GMO american chestnut will be available in the next few years. The most recent ACF journal (Spring 2019) conceded that the back crossing program has been a failure.

Of course I am also getting a lot of other stuff started like paw paw, apple, pear, plum, peach.
Welcome

It's really nice to find an active forum like this in 2019.

Facebook habitat is huge. But I like the old forum format.
Welcome to HT

I'm Travis. I have 7 acres with access to a neighboring 300 acres in North Idaho. I'm attempting to create a wild game paradise on my property eventually spreading out to the neighbors. So far I've planted hundreds of trees and shrubs with plans to plant more, started digging out a spot for a pond and I'm trying to figure out a diverse long-lasting perennial seed mix to plant a test plot and see if I can make a wild game meadow that will largely be permanent and need very little maintenance.
Anybody else in Idaho or in the Rockies?

I'm Travis. I have 7 acres with access to a neighboring 300 acres in North Idaho. I'm attempting to create a wild game paradise on my property eventually spreading out to the neighbors. So far I've planted hundreds of trees and shrubs with plans to plant more, started digging out a spot for a pond and I'm trying to figure out a diverse long-lasting perennial seed mix to plant a test plot and see if I can make a wild game meadow that will largely be permanent and need very little maintenance.
Anybody else in Idaho or in the Rockies?
Welcome Travis!

Well I have been away from this thread for a while....welcome to all the new folks! Jump right in...the water is fine and we don't bite.

Well I have been away from this thread for a while....welcome to all the new folks! Jump right in...the water is fine and we don't bite.

I’m amazed at the number of new sign ups we get that never so much as make a squeak...
And it’s not foreign spammers either because that got so bad I only approve IP’s from certain countries (mostly US and Canada.

I’m amazed at the number of new sign ups we get that never so much as make a squeak...
And it’s not foreign spammers either because that got so bad I only approve IP’s from certain countries (mostly US and Canada.
I think to some extent a forum like this is a bit different than what some folks are looking for....

To everyone here....especially the new guys. This forum is a community built on the concept of helping and sharing with other deer habitat minded folks. We are not here to sell you something, we are not here to get more "views" or "hits" or ask for some sort of paid membership. We are NOT "the experts" that some others portray themselves to be....we are simply a collection of folks with dirt on their hands and boots on the ground experiences and knowledge on a wide variety of topics related to deer habitat. We welcome anyone with the habitat interest regardless of their experience level....welcome to the neighborhood and PLEASE feel free to become an active part of it!

Hi...Bobby here (bzb_1). I'm 44 6'1 240 lbs...brown hair, hazel eyes... I enjoy long walks on the beach and snuggling on the couch during a spring thunderstorm......OOOPS wrong forum. LOL.
I was a part of a hunting club that use to lease 604 acres with 8 other guys that I work with (all cops) ...We all started doing food plots etc through that. We were very blessed. A much older lady owned this property and leased it to us very cheap she just asked that we kept tabs on the land...Myself and one other guy took turns mowing around the house and barns and checked on her every week we gave her Bday and Christmas gifts and would give her venison etc. She was a hoot..Loved my kids (I have 5) and I always brought them along. she would take them on UTV rides and feed her ducks etc... Her grandson tilled the land and life was great...Well she passed away and left the land in a trust...Even the grandson got the boot from other family members and the owners started to become very VERY greedy. We lost the farm at one point for two years and then got it back but they continued their antics. in a 3 year period the lease went up 4k and they wanted more. The writing was on the wall and the family made it clear that we could lose it at any time if they got a better offer. Well I married right. My wife was a NFL cheerleader for the Ravens and also our state Miss Delaware...smoking hot and she loves making money and is talented at it. She retired at 37 selling her business and made a great profit. We now are in the process of building a farm on 88 acres and we found another dream piece of 82 acres that is just for hunting/recreation...I have a lot to learn about plotting and land managing and mainly lurk here but If I do have a question about anything or another angle to do things I will chime in. My goals are year round nutrition and just to have fun with my family while doing it. Right now I have 4 acres total in food plots on the 82 and adding about 1-2 more with ponds in the next year or so. On the working farm I currently do not have any "food plots" but we have beans and corn planted(its bout 50 acres tillable with 19 of that being used for the new project) the rest is wooded. I would like to thank all of you for this forum and sharing your wisdom. If anyone is in the Delaware area I would love to meet up show off my land and look at yours... I have a pool and love smoking meat we could definitely shoot some weapons/bows etc...

Hi...Bobby here (bzb_1). I'm 44 6'1 240 lbs...brown hair, hazel eyes... I enjoy long walks on the beach and snuggling on the couch during a spring thunderstorm......OOOPS wrong forum. LOL.
I was a part of a hunting club that use to lease 604 acres with 8 other guys that I work with (all cops) ...We all started doing food plots etc through that. We were very blessed. A much older lady owned this property and leased it to us very cheap she just asked that we kept tabs on the land...Myself and one other guy took turns mowing around the house and barns and checked on her every week we gave her Bday and Christmas gifts and would give her venison etc. She was a hoot..Loved my kids (I have 5) and I always brought them along. she would take them on UTV rides and feed her ducks etc... Her grandson tilled the land and life was great...Well she passed away and left the land in a trust...Even the grandson got the boot from other family members and the owners started to become very VERY greedy. We lost the farm at one point for two years and then got it back but they continued their antics. in a 3 year period the lease went up 4k and they wanted more. The writing was on the wall and the family made it clear that we could lose it at any time if they got a better offer. Well I married right. My wife was a NFL cheerleader for the Ravens and also our state Miss Delaware...smoking hot and she loves making money and is talented at it. She retired at 37 selling her business and made a great profit. We now are in the process of building a farm on 88 acres and we found another dream piece of 82 acres that is just for hunting/recreation...I have a lot to learn about plotting and land managing and mainly lurk here but If I do have a question about anything or another angle to do things I will chime in. My goals are year round nutrition and just to have fun with my family while doing it. Right now I have 4 acres total in food plots on the 82 and adding about 1-2 more with ponds in the next year or so. On the working farm I currently do not have any "food plots" but we have beans and corn planted(its bout 50 acres tillable with 19 of that being used for the new project) the rest is wooded. I would like to thank all of you for this forum and sharing your wisdom. If anyone is in the Delaware area I would love to meet up show off my land and look at yours... I have a pool and love smoking meat we could definitely shoot some weapons/bows etc...
Welcome Bobby!

Yes, welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard!

First, I would like to thank all of you who take the time to pass on your knowledge and wisdom. Thank you and may God bless all of you. I grew up in north central missouri hunting rabbits, quail, and deer. Deer were scarce when I was a child, I can remember the days when we would all congregate just to look at a deer track. Moved to the ozarks in 1999, just south of truman lake. We live on 14 acres, mostly timber and brush, with a few acres of open horse pasture. Our property is on the edge where a large block of timber meets open pasture, with no crops within miles. Started planting apple and pear trees in 2015 using the recommendations found here and havnt looked back. I have to say the fruit tree bug is a bastard! I found the courage to learn how to graft because of all of you, I am always amazed when it works. Kent

Welcome Kent, Bobby, Travis and all the other new members!

First, I would like to thank all of you who take the time to pass on your knowledge and wisdom. Thank you and may God bless all of you. I grew up in north central missouri hunting rabbits, quail, and deer. Deer were scarce when I was a child, I can remember the days when we would all congregate just to look at a deer track. Moved to the ozarks in 1999, just south of truman lake. We live on 14 acres, mostly timber and brush, with a few acres of open horse pasture. Our property is on the edge where a large block of timber meets open pasture, with no crops within miles. Started planting apple and pear trees in 2015 using the recommendations found here and havnt looked back. I have to say the fruit tree bug is a bastard! I found the courage to learn how to graft because of all of you, I am always amazed when it works. Kent
Welcome Kent!

I'm Nathan, was a member of the Q forums years ago. Haven't done much habitat work in the last several years except food plots and trying to reclaim old field that my aging Dad let go. Two young kids and work soak up most of my time.

We've got a lot of good and bad on our place, I'd like to reduce the bad (multiflora, privet) and introduce more natives, mast, and fruit bearers. Long term I'd like to transition out of fescue hayfields to NWSG and wildflowers managed with fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Nathan, was a member of the Q forums years ago. Haven't done much habitat work in the last several years except food plots and trying to reclaim old field that my aging Dad let go. Two young kids and work soak up most of my time.

We've got a lot of good and bad on our place, I'd like to reduce the bad (multiflora, privet) and introduce more natives, mast, and fruit bearers. Long term I'd like to transition out of fescue hayfields to NWSG and wildflowers managed with fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Nathan!

Hi my name is Kyle and I am an addict..... Step 1 right?? As the name says Im from Indiana. I own 13 acres and it has been a blast working on it and improving it every year. So glad to have found an active habitat/whitetail forum. Dropped Facebook about 4 or 5 months ago because of all the dumb crap and trying to get back to the old ways that I loved. Was a mod on the old kisky forum before it went sideways just before Facegram brought them to a screeching hault. Look forward to interacting.

Hi my name is Kyle and I am an addict..... Step 1 right?? As the name says Im from Indiana. I own 13 acres and it has been a blast working on it and improving it every year. So glad to have found an active habitat/whitetail forum. Dropped Facebook about 4 or 5 months ago because of all the dumb crap and trying to get back to the old ways that I loved. Was a mod on the old kisky forum before it went sideways just before Facegram brought them to a screeching hault. Look forward to interacting.

Welcome the board!