Who are you?

Greetings to all My name is Arthur although I spent most of my life in Illinois I have been living in Indiana since 2001. I have been deer hunting for over 30 years turkey for 25. I have considered giving food plots a try for a long time but now for a host of reasons I an going to give it a try for the first time this year and hence my motivation for joining this sight. I know absolutely NOTHING about food plots and thus have MUCH to learn.

I am blessed with a green thumb and have enjoyed amazing success with all kinds of flowers in the gardens at my home so I'm hoping that transfers over to food plots. Save for a commercial grade weed wacker, I am limited to non mechanized hand tools to use to create my food plots, so they will likely be modest in size. I have recently lucked into a 60 acre chunk of private land that is devoid of any farm crops and will remain so indefinitely but has some areas that should make excellent food plots. The land is surrounded by blocks of mostly much larger sections of woods none of which have any farm crops and the nearest farm crops are at least 3 miles away and the nearest homes or dwellings are farther than that,so it is in a rather remote area (for Indiana) and sees scant if any human pressure as do the surrounding properties.

So it became instantly apparent my deer hunting could benefit greatly from food plots. So Im hoping to get the knowledge I need to be successful from forums like this.
I have much to learn and I hope to learn with as little failure as possible.
Again hello to all.

Greetings to all My name is Arthur although I spent most of my life in Illinois I have been living in Indiana since 2001. I have been deer hunting for over 30 years turkey for 25. I have considered giving food plots a try for a long time but now for a host of reasons I an going to give it a try for the first time this year and hence my motivation for joining this sight. I know absolutely NOTHING about food plots and thus have MUCH to learn.

I am blessed with a green thumb and have enjoyed amazing success with all kinds of flowers in the gardens at my home so I'm hoping that transfers over to food plots. Save for a commercial grade weed wacker, I am limited to non mechanized hand tools to use to create my food plots, so they will likely be modest in size. I have recently lucked into a 60 acre chunk of private land that is devoid of any farm crops and will remain so indefinitely but has some areas that should make excellent food plots. The land is surrounded by blocks of mostly much larger sections of woods none of which have any farm crops and the nearest farm crops are at least 3 miles away and the nearest homes or dwellings are farther than that,so it is in a rather remote area (for Indiana) and sees scant if any human pressure as do the surrounding properties.

So it became instantly apparent my deer hunting could benefit greatly from food plots. So Im hoping to get the knowledge I need to be successful from forums like this.
I have much to learn and I hope to learn with as little failure as possible.
Again hello to all.
Welcome Arthur!

Hi,I’m brent. I had a farm in Ontario,Canada. I took 51 acres and planted 36,000 seedling built a 2.5 acre pond for goose hunting and water for the deer. 2. 5 acre soya plot,it fed the deer until they were replanted. Turkeys were released near my property and they Decided to stay. Hunting paridise. I gave it up to take care of my mother. She passed two years ago and Nov. of 2018 I bought a hardwood lot 100 acres and I ‘m looking to do the same thing over again but a bit different . The old apple orchard is in desperate need of trimming and fertilizer. Sad but most of the old spruce and pines blew over. I want to have them made into lumber for the camps. A few moose and deer living on the property as well as bears. I think I can lured them away for a while. I’m a hunter and guide.

Hi,I’m brent. I had a farm in Ontario,Canada. I took 51 acres and planted 36,000 seedling built a 2.5 acre pond for goose hunting and water for the deer. 2. 5 acre soya plot,it fed the deer until they were replanted. Turkeys were released near my property and they Decided to stay. Hunting paridise. I gave it up to take care of my mother. She passed two years ago and Nov. of 2018 I bought a hardwood lot 100 acres and I ‘m looking to do the same thing over again but a bit different . The old apple orchard is in desperate need of trimming and fertilizer. Sad but most of the old spruce and pines blew over. I want to have them made into lumber for the camps. A few moose and deer living on the property as well as bears. I think I can lured them away for a while. I’m a hunter and guide.

Welcome Brent.

Where in Ontario is your place?

Where in Ontario is your place?
I lived in Harrow Ontario, but gave up everything to take care of my mother in Chipman New Brunswick Canada I’ve been in NB for almost six year and building another dream. A 100 acre hard wood lot. Planting red and white clover , soya and oats the old way. I want the Dunstan chestnut, some pears and red and white cedars. I’m a guide as well.

Hello,

I live in central Alabama and lease 1021 acres in northern Sumter county and another 320 in southern Pickens county. I found this website while researching the throw and mow method. Hope to get to know all you.

Hello,

I live in central Alabama and lease 1021 acres in northern Sumter county and another 320 in southern Pickens county. I found this website while researching the throw and mow method. Hope to get to know all you.
Welcome

Hello,

Welcome aboard!

Hi, my name's Jeff.
I live in SW Arkansas and just recently moved onto 40 acres, 20 wooded and 20 pasture with a 1.5 acre pond dead in the center. I've been a long time researcher in all things wildlife management, and got my 4 year degree in wildlife and fisheries but have never got to really practice it until now. Looking forward to learning from you folks

Hi, my name's Jeff.
I live in SW Arkansas and just recently moved onto 40 acres, 20 wooded and 20 pasture with a 1.5 acre pond dead in the center. I've been a long time researcher in all things wildlife management, and got my 4 year degree in wildlife and fisheries but have never got to really practice it until now. Looking forward to learning from you folks
Welcome Jeff!

Welcome to HT Jeff.

Hello All.
I’m mark from Macomb Mich, I have a nice small 20acre in the thumb of Michigan- Marlette.
I have had Jake Ehlinger out last month for a habitat plan and I am trying to learn everything I can for a better habitat for all wildlife so I can show my girls more about deer and turkey hunting.
I want them to learn and get excited about the outdoors a see animals in their natural habitat.

Hello All.
I’m mark from Macomb Mich, I have a nice small 20acre in the thumb of Michigan- Marlette.
I have had Jake Ehlinger out last month for a habitat plan and I am trying to learn everything I can for a better habitat for all wildlife so I can show my girls more about deer and turkey hunting.
I want them to learn and get excited about the outdoors a see animals in their natural habitat.
Welcome Mark!

Hello All.
Welcome.

That’s great! You're not the only one but unfortunately you’re one of only a few. I drag the grandson outside every time I can get the square device out of his face....

Hello, I'm a new guy here from Texas. Used to be somewhat active on certain parts of the old QDMA forum but then my activity dropped off. Anyway, I am a wildlife biologist who has worked with Texas landowners for the past 43 years. For 35 years I worked for SCS and NRCS and now am involved in natural resource consulting. Not sure if my Texas experience will be of any use to any of you but I hope to learn from you. Shame on me but my deer hunting interest has dwindled over the years. I see so many deer during fall surveys that I am maxed out on deer by the time season opens. But I do enjoy habitat management, conservation and stewardship of all parts of Creation. I have one wife, three kids, 6 grandkids, two dogs and one fine old 47 Dodge pickup. Steve Nelle - San Angelo, Tx

Hello, I'm a new guy here from Texas. Used to be somewhat active on certain parts of the old QDMA forum but then my activity dropped off. Anyway, I am a wildlife biologist who has worked with Texas landowners for the past 43 years. For 35 years I worked for SCS and NRCS and now am involved in natural resource consulting. Not sure if my Texas experience will be of any use to any of you but I hope to learn from you. Shame on me but my deer hunting interest has dwindled over the years. I see so many deer during fall surveys that I am maxed out on deer by the time season opens. But I do enjoy habitat management, conservation and stewardship of all parts of Creation. I have one wife, three kids, 6 grandkids, two dogs and one fine old 47 Dodge pickup. Steve Nelle - San Angelo, Tx
Welcome Steve

I have one wife, three kids, 6 grandkids, two dogs and one fine old 47 Dodge pickup. Steve Nelle - San Angelo, Tx

We have a couple things in common. One wife is the first thing, but I have 3 dogs and one kid. Enjoying the habitat stuff as much as hunting is the another. Welcome aboard.

-John

welcome,Steve

bill