Who are you?

Hello everyone! I'm a South Louisiana native who has been a shooting, hunting, camping and generally outdoor fan since I was a kid. Some family has a small farm that I've been able to hunt on and it's taken off from there!

I've been laid up due to an injury lately and that means a lot of time reading, researching and learning about anything and everything to keep my mind off of it.

I was looking for info and found this site. I just thought I'd stop in, say hello and introduce myself!

Hello habitat users. I retired from the state of TN last Oct 2015. I live in Portland, TN - five miles south of the Kentucky state line in Middle TN. My retirement project is One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project. I have shipped boxes of chestnuts to 26 states in the Eastern US. Some users on this forum are among the participants.
My friends were extremely generous to me when I retired and I have used their $$ & gift cards to help build my greenhouse. I have one son who is a great hunter and my oldest two grandkids likes to hunt. My father in law's farm had the timber harvested on it this year - so I have much to replant.
Looking forward to getting to establishing friendships on this forum. I am a refugee from the shutdown. I appreciate John making this forum available.

I've been on here a couple years but never posted in this thread. This seems like a good time to do that.

Although my name is Dan, CL had been my handle on a bunch of hunting forums for years. I mostly posted about muzzleloaders until I got the habitat bug. I have more flintlocks than centerfire rifles and even more inlines. My inlines are all White Rifles. They've been out of business for a while but I love the quality and accuracy and shooting 460gr conicals.

I grew up in PA but I have worked in the Binghamton NY region for 20 years. I am an engineer working on electronics manufacturing. Going to school part time for a PhD but that is a long range plan. Have 2 girls under 5yrs so I don't have much time. In fact I barely hunted the last 2 falls.

My habitat work is focused on the family farm a couple hours drive south in PA. I work on trees and shrubs more than food plots. Our woods is probably 20 years from a good oak timbering so thickening that for cover without hurting timber value is a prime goal. I do need to spend more time with my chainsaw and more time controlling autumn olive, honeysuckle, and barberry.

On my habitat journey, apples have become a passion. My Project W thread shows my plan to use columnar apple trees for shot plots. That project has given me a lot of work and fun the last 2 summers. My regular apple orchard will eventually be dropping tons of apples for me (cider) and deer.

Welcome to all the new folks. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, successes and failures.

Hello, I'm a farmer/deer hunter in Monroe Co. Missouri.
Figured I use this thread to try posting pictures... Wish me luck.

Attachments

• DSC00623.JPG
    DSC00623.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 22
I'm from Ky, recently retired and own a mostly timber farm that I have about 20 acres of plots on.
Love working the land. Always interested in hearing others strategies and seeing the fruits of their labors.

Hello, I'm a farmer/deer hunter in Monroe Co. Missouri.
Figured I use this thread to try posting pictures... Wish me luck.[/QUOTE

Another Mo landowner!!! Good deal!

I moved to Mo. 20 years ago from the East. My plan was to have my own deer hunting paradise.

Like many , I started with a riding lawn mower and walk behind tiller.
I've already made most of the mistakes that many are just getting ready to make.
While I'm on the internet quite infrequently, I hope to be a small addition to what seems like quite the site.

I'm a little beyond 1 acre food plots yet I still manage to drive the neighbors crazy by promoting practices like "picture framing fields"
Plowing under a perfectly good oat plot for soil building , weed control with proper planting etc.

I'm a Certified Organic farmer and don't use chemicals.

Hope the pictures come out right. I work more with my hands than with a smartphone/computer.

Pics seem ok, can't get the lime truck or chicken litter spreader to post. (the 2 most important pieces of equipment)

IMG_20160604_113619.jpg media1_5.jpeg IMG_20160604_113531.jpg

I moved to Mo. 20 years ago from the East. My plan was to have my own deer hunting paradise.
Like many , I started with a riding lawn mower and walk behind tiller.
I've already made most of the mistakes that many are just getting ready to make.
While I'm on the internet quite infrequently, I hope to be a small addition to what seems like quite the site.

I'm a little beyond 1 acre food plots yet I still manage to drive the neighbors crazy by promoting practices like "picture framing fields"
Plowing under a perfectly good oat plot for soil building , weed control with proper planting etc.

I'm a Certified Organic farmer and don't use chemicals.

Hope the pictures come out right. I work more with my hands than with a smartphone/computer.

Pics seem ok, can't get the lime truck or chicken litter spreader to post. (the 2 most important pieces of equipment)

View attachment 9519 View attachment 9520 View attachment 9521
Ya I hear you I hope to trade my ATV in for a tractor slightly larger than that! holy crap

Yep, between a craftsman lawn mower and a couple 9400 and 8300 john Deers , there are a couple steps.
I got a 1950ish Massey Ferguson with a bucket and bush hog along with a Case International 245 with a 5' land pride tiller.

I offered the neighbors my services to clean their fence lines (fixed the fences as I went) and picture fame 5' to bring back the quail they remembered in their youth. 5" on a tree line is pathetic for harvest anyhow.
Did it for free. Bought a 4x4 truck with snow plow and woke in the middle of the night to plow out the neighbors when it snowed. Ran down the road with a box blade and cleaned up people field entrances after a hard rain.

Never have I ever driven down the road and seen a farmer broke down and not offer to help. Coming home at 1 am. and see lights on in a neighbors machine shed stop and offer.
I'm one of those guts that can fix anything, and have a truck full of tools and basic repair parts.

When people started to think about "taking it a little easier" I was offered some fields to farm. ("He's so dependable" -I heard) Took the retirement account and bought a JD 4020 and went for it. More to the story but - be the good dependable neighbor. And yes when I'm out snowplowing I even do driveways of the people that don't like me (yeah there's a few). Other neighbors think it's pretty classy of me.

Think I got the flotation truck to load. It's not about me , it's about being a good neighbor. Share your trail cam photo s with the neighbors and their kids. Show them what's possible. They will get into what you are trying to do.

thumbnail_PhotoMoto 0064.jpg

Last edited:
Small time, any time you want to move, let me know and I'll harass a neighbor into moving and you can be my neighbor anytime! In all seriousness, being a good neighbor seems to be dying a slow death. One of my clients still has great neighbors, but the other clients and my own neighbors would likely simply look the other way while walking by an issue occurring at any of their neighbors. Very different than growing up in the middle of no where in N WI. 3 AM, drunk kids ditch their car/truck in winter, you merely walked to the nearest farm house, pounded on the door until someone got up. The farmer gets dressed and heads out at -10 temps to yank you out without complaint and then absolutely refuses to take any cash. Not that anything like that ever happened to me ;) , but I heard the stories many times

Small time, any time you want to move, let me know and I'll harass a neighbor into moving and you can be my neighbor anytime! In all seriousness, being a good neighbor seems to be dying a slow death. One of my clients still has great neighbors, but the other clients and my own neighbors would likely simply look the other way while walking by an issue occurring at any of their neighbors. Very different than growing up in the middle of no where in N WI. 3 AM, drunk kids ditch their car/truck in winter, you merely walked to the nearest farm house, pounded on the door until someone got up. The farmer gets dressed and heads out at -10 temps to yank you out without complaint and then absolutely refuses to take any cash. Not that anything like that ever happened to me ;) , but I heard the stories many times
I have been on both ends of that equation, so I know what you mean Steve!

SmallTIme, I look forward to your posts as I'm especially interested in learning more about your organic techniques. I'm a passionate organic gardener and would love to figure out how to take my entire farm organic but am not there yet. I haven't used synthetic fertilizer in years switching to chicken litter. While I have minimized herbicides I haven't figured out how to completely kick the habit. I'll be watching.

Hello I'm known as Rare Breed from 12 years on QDMA forum. I have 110 acres I own surrounded by another 350 acres I lease. Land in QDMA practice 11 years with many great bucks taken all in SW Georgia. My 110 acres has 31 acres of food plots the rest in cover with great water

Migrated from Qdma...gave a small family farm that buts up to national forest in bath county VA ........Been actactively putting in food plots and trees for only a year and a half ......accomplishments to date I've planted 38 fruit trees and chestnuts ...grew another twenty chestnuts from seed .....that I have yet to plant put in three food plots ....and have done a little hinge cutting ....hope to learn alot more on this site

Long time lurker over at the QDMA site, I decided to switch as well. I have a 100 acre piece in NW PA that been in my family for almost 40 years. I don't post all that much however I read daily. I enjoy peoples habitat tours and idea.

Josh

I'm a Central NY hunter and long time member of several Outdoor message boards - some have come and gone. The loss of the QDMA forum has me out looking for credible places to participate, and learn about the the things I care about.
Looking forward to meeting new people here, and connecting with others that I've know elsewhere for many years.

Long time lurker and occasional poster from QDMA site. That forum was a major part of my daily life so I just could not stay away. I will be following both habitat talk and deerhunter forum daily. I am very impressed with this forum and glad to see alot of familiar faces.

Been lurking on the other site, learning as much as I can. Decided to jump ship luckily before giving them any of my hard earned money!!!

I'm a 30 year old married guy with a little boy thats almost 2. We have a 70 acre parcel that we are slowly working on improving. My farm is reclaimed coal mine, the previous owners seem to have did some habitat work for game birds but nothing for the deer. The property is about a 50/50 split of ag ground and woods, half of the tillable is being row cropped the other is cut for hay. Since purchasing 3 years ago, I spent 2 seasons figuring the herd out and making my overall plan for the property. This year I've focused on making some improvements, mainly adding cover and opening a small (1/3 acre) kill plot.

Long term plans involve continuing to hinge cut to release my crop/mast trees and provide additional cover. I also plan to add one or two more small food plots, and focus on creating solid entry and exit trails to my stand locations.

Lurker on the other site - Glad to be a member here.

Manage/own a 267 acre forest/farm in central Georgia. Mostly wooded with 13 smaller food plots and some smaller orchards (about 40 Dunstans at this point - some about 4 years old now).

Attachments

• dunstan2.jpg
    dunstan2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 23
  • dunstan1.JPG
    dunstan1.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PRMS0423.JPG
    PRMS0423.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 22
few more ...

Attachments