All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you?

Another qdma escapee. I feel like I went from a senior to a freshman lol."

Hopefully you are still working on that jeep! :D

My name is Eric. I am also jumping off the sinking QDMA forum. I "know" some of you from years ago, I have been posting there for a long time. My family farms in northeast MO, I live on the other side of the state near KC. Most of the farm is working ag, row crops and cattle. I manage a little 120 acre chunk that is my happy place, I shoot most of my deer in unmanaged (for wildlife) cattle pasture or harvested crop fields! Still nothing better than sitting in a stand over a food plot I slopped in with a 4 wheeler and a mower.

My name is Doug and I just moved over from the QDMA forum. I have a 100 acre farm surrounded by Corps land and then a lake, so it's around 130 acres that I control access to from the road. I also have 60 acres on the edge of town that I have full permission to hunt and manage ast I see fit. I try to use the information that Lickcreek provided to manage my hunting ground. The world lost a good man and teacher when we lost him.

My name is Dave. I've spent some time visiting here over the last year or so but due to recent events will probably be putting down roots. Some names I recognize and some I'm sure will meet going forward. I live in Wis. My residence is in Columbia county and my land is in Juneau. After spending the last 35 years or so deer hunting in Bayfield, Douglas and Ashland counties, and a few in between, I decided to purchase my own land. As my family grew it become difficult to be anything more than a weekend warrior up north and finding decent bow hunting around home became nearly impossible. Had some lean years and some good years up there, the last few very lean. I don't see the size of deer I'm used to as consistently but I do have enough action to keep me happy and filling a tag, if I choose to, is not a problem. My son has taken his "firsts" deer on our land and we have shared memories there that will last his lifetime. I am very fortunate to have it.
I've owned the place for 5 years now and have been attempting land management for the last 3 on a more serious level. It's my escape to say the least. I've got great neighbors for the most part and we do have some nice deer in the area. Wolves are becoming an issue but not much can be done about that right now.
Don't have much in the way of equipment, maybe more than some less than others, but I've been able to do just about everything I want so far. With a lot of sweat added in. I'd like to someday build a shed on it. I've also been scheming on how to reclaim some low areas I have that are at this point useless. More thought and some heavy equipment needed on that front.

I'll contribute when I feel like I can but probably learn a lot more from all of you than visa versa.

Good luck and have a great season.

Dave

My name is Dave. I've spent some time visiting here over the last year or so but due to recent events will probably be putting down roots. Some names I recognize and some I'm sure will meet going forward. I live in Wis. My residence is in Columbia county and my land is in Juneau. After spending the last 35 years or so deer hunting in Bayfield, Douglas and Ashland counties, and a few in between, I decided to purchase my own land. As my family grew it become difficult to be anything more than a weekend warrior up north and finding decent bow hunting around home became nearly impossible. Had some lean years and some good years up there, the last few very lean. I don't see the size of deer I'm used to as consistently but I do have enough action to keep me happy and filling a tag, if I choose to, is not a problem. My son has taken his "firsts" deer on our land and we have shared memories there that will last his lifetime. I am very fortunate to have it.
I've owned the place for 5 years now and have been attempting land management for the last 3 on a more serious level. It's my escape to say the least. I've got great neighbors for the most part and we do have some nice deer in the area. Wolves are becoming an issue but not much can be done about that right now.
Don't have much in the way of equipment, maybe more than some less than others, but I've been able to do just about everything I want so far. With a lot of sweat added in. I'd like to someday build a shed on it. I've also been scheming on how to reclaim some low areas I have that are at this point useless. More thought and some heavy equipment needed on that front.

I'll contribute when I feel like I can but probably learn a lot more from all of you than visa versa.

Good luck and have a great season.

Dave
Even though my dad sold his place a few years ago, I grew up and still hunt Juneau Co public land for rifle season every year. Welcome aboard.

Corbin, another transplant from qdma. I have 35 acres in southeastern nc since spring 2015. Work as a teacher, biology Marine science and a new nc wildlife class. Land is mostly 5 year cutover with pines and sweet gums.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My name is MO. I was just released from my year long stint in Rikers Island! The Buck is Back!

Thanks Bill!
Are you on double secret probation?

Another wandering refugee from qdma. I need a roadmap.

Whip,
I've hunted public in Juneau way back when also when my Dad took a new job and didn't get much vacation. He still made time to us hunting though. Had some great times up there and saw a ton of deer. I remember one year I shot the 9th buck I saw on opening day. I was hoping for something bigger but back then you had to take what came or might not get one. Tough for a 13 year old with a 30-30 to let bucks walk. Shot a bunch of grouse and bow bucks up there too. Awesome area and much closer to home. Love it!!

Hi, I'm Dave........

Dr. Buddy Rydell: Let me explain something to you, Dave. There are two kinds of angry people in this world: explosive and implosive. Explosive is the kind of individual you see screaming at the cashier for not taking their coupons. Implosive is the cashier who remains quiet day after day and finally shoots everyone in the store. You're the cashier.
Dave Buznik: No, no, no. I'm the guy hiding in the frozen food section dialling 911. I swear.

hqdefault.jpg

I confess. I don't have a green card. I swam the river, jumped the fence, and snuck into Habitat Talk while others were bashing QDMA. Yes, I'm a deserter, running like a rat from a sinking ship. I prefer anonimity, but I have poor impuse control also. FarmerDan is really Dan, but not truly a farmer any longer. It was a youthful vision, but $4 milk, $1.50 corn, and $2.25 soybeans helped me see the light. I figured I'd be better off getting educated and helping farmers farm. At 63, today's farmers know a whole lot more than I do!

Post-farming I managed a couple ag supply and agronomy centers in Maryland and Virginia. Seed, Feed, Fertilizer, and AgChemicals. Mostly, I bankrupted the local establishments. As a result I got to go work in the home office since I knew a lot about most aspects of making more cost than revenue. Hey, I'd rather be a big part of the problem than a small part of the soultion.

I now work for your Uncle Sam (remember him?). Don't hate me! I really do work hard for you every day. You've heard of five hour energy? We have something like that in our office except its two-and-a-half hour energy.

My food plots are weedy and mostly unattended. I buy the most generic products I can find. Feed oats for seed. Feed corn (please don't ask), and anything not branded (mostly). Remember, I'm still on mission!
The deer don't seem to mind! They like the habitat and have plenty of other food opportunities around here!

I was kinda' intimidated over on the QDMA site! Wow! Those boys new a lot of stuff! Until they show up here, I'll do the best I can. Oh, wait....I think they just came in the door.

Self-assessment time. I think I'm knowledgeable about seed and fertilizer. To me, lime is just something you get someone else to spread. I'm OK with herbicides, but a lot's changed since my prime, although a lot of the giants are still around. I'd love to talk to you about soil sampling. I wonder about our technique. Like the 1962 New York Mets? Garbage in garbage out. But, we have a recommendation!

Maps! You need a map? I'm your guy (think Uncle Sam). Aerial photography. Satellite imagery. Google Earth, land use mapping, tax maps. I'm not allowed to reveal my actual job and agency, thank God!

I'm learning about deer behavior and am absolutely fascinated by the movement work done with gps collared deer.
http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/deer-monitoring

I guess that's enough. I hope you found some humor above. Sometimes, I'm a lot boring.

"Who are you" is the theme of the thread. My wife asks me this question, too....

Glad to see you made it across the river Dan!!!! Welcome, I have been here for ove a year mainly for the fruit tree guys but now we all can cover a lot more!

My name is Brian, my dad started calling me Weasel since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Used to use Stickbowcrafter on the soon-to-be eliminated forum because I was building a lot of traditional bows at the time and owning/running an international traditional archery magazine. Sold that business in 2008. Born & raised in SW Pennsylvania and work & live between Pittsburgh & the Ohio line with my first & only wife of 18 years & our two daughters. My farm is in NE Ohio in the mostly flat corn & soybean country. I'm proud to call God & Jesus my personal friends and I love my country and the military & police who defend it. Hopefully we can turn this ship around so my kids & grandkids can experience the success that comes from hard work in this great land of opportunity. Please feel free to click the link in my signature below to learn more about me & my farm.

I am, now I have to start all over with the posts, ugh

Well if you just do a few pics and start where you are now most of us will be happy! We have a "Projects" section and we would love to see you finish yours. It was a interesting thread to follow over on QDMA.

I will, I'll try to get it up soon

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I'm Andy Pedersen. I too am one of the many QDMA emigrés. I started food plotting in '92 when a friend told me it was ok to plant plots for deer on his farm, but I had to do all the work myself. When I first sat on a tractor back then, I knew God did not mean for me to be an engineer. In a lucky twist of fate, my friend sold me his (84A) farm in '96 and I was off to the races. I inherited a small (40 tree) apple orchard we had both planted in '93 and that orchard turned into a labor of love. I look forward to experimenting with new stuff, and the QDMA forum provided insight and inspiration. My farm is devoted towards wildlife habitat management. I also plant the food plots on the local Navy Base.
In my past life, I was involved in evaluating the search effectiveness of ordnance detection systems for the military. It was not a great leap to evaluate the effectiveness of bowhunters looking for deer. We had a solid data base with Navy bowhunting program and I have published two papers since retiring, scratching my "research itch": "Wounding Rates of White-tailed Deer with Modern Archery Equipment" (http://www.marylandqdma.com/files/Download/Pedersen-31-34.pdf) and "A Comparative Study on the Effectiveness of Fixed Blade and Mechanical Broadheads" (http://www.seafwa.org/html/journals/pdf/26Pedersen_et_al_163-166.pdf). Another passion I have is working with my two wirehaired dachshunds. Ruby is an accomplished wounded-deer tracker and Amber has had successes, but still on the learning curve.
Of course, I still like to fish-a-fly on occasion.

-fsh

Last edited:
I'm Andy Pedersen. I too am one of the many QDMA emigres. I started food plotting in '92 when a friend told me it was ok to plant plots for deer on his farm, but I had to do all the work myself. When I first sat on a tractor back then, I knew God did not mean for me to be an engineer. In a lucky twist of fate, my friend sold me his (84A) farm in '96 and I was off to the races. I inherited a small (40 tree) apple orchard we had both planted in '93 and that orchard turned into a labor of love. I look forward to experimenting with new stuff, and the QDMA forum provided insight and inspiration. My farm is devoted towards wildlife habitat management. I also plant the food plots on the local Navy Base.
In my past life, I was involved in evaluating the search effectiveness of ordnance detection systems for the military. It was not a great leap to evaluate the effectiveness of bowhunters looking for deer. We had a solid data base with Navy bowhunting program and I have published two papers since retiring, scratching my "research itch": "Wounding Rates of White-tailed Deer with Modern Archery Equipment" (http://www.marylandqdma.com/files/Download/Pedersen-31-34.pdf) and "A Comparative Study on the Effectiveness of Fixed Blade and Mechanical Broadheads" (http://www.seafwa.org/html/journals/pdf/26Pedersen_et_al_163-166.pdf). Another passion I have is working with my two wirehaired dachshunds. Ruby is an accomplished wounded-deer tracker and Amber has had successes, but still on the learning curve.

-fsh
Quite a resume. Welcome. It looks like you have many areas covered. I have experience with apples, a tracking dog, and unfortunately wounded deer.

I'm Andy Pedersen. I too am one of the many QDMA emigrés. I started food plotting in '92 when a friend told me it was ok to plant plots for deer on his farm, but I had to do all the work myself. When I first sat on a tractor back then, I knew God did not mean for me to be an engineer. In a lucky twist of fate, my friend sold me his (84A) farm in '96 and I was off to the races. I inherited a small (40 tree) apple orchard we had both planted in '93 and that orchard turned into a labor of love. I look forward to experimenting with new stuff, and the QDMA forum provided insight and inspiration. My farm is devoted towards wildlife habitat management. I also plant the food plots on the local Navy Base.

-fsh

Make you sure you make a thread about your orchard I would like to hear more about what you have, variety wise, rootstocks, how the trees look today, your experiences, pics, must have pics. :)

Welcome to HT.

Hello, I'm from NW Ohio and getting the habitat bug pretty bad, I'll just put it out there....I'm pretty much turning into a full blown habitat junkie.
I have two small farms in a very agricultural area about five miles apart, one is a little over eight acres that is mostly hardwoods oak&hickory with about an acre tillable that runs around it planted to switch grass and clover with a new orchard of around twenty trees planted down the south side made up of standard and semi standard apple and pear with a few chestnut at one end. On the east end I planted white/scotch pine and Norway/blue spruce for bedding in the switch grass around 150 trees staggered from 18"-3' this past spring.

On another property of thirty acres consisting of thirteen acres of mixed hardwoods mostly oaks with the rest being tillable I put in another orchard of around twenty standard and semi standard apple and pear trees along with around fifteen chestnuts in a separate small grove. I am currently putting in two shallow wetland ponds on the property one around two acres and the other around one. I have pre ordered a bunch of white pine, hemlock, Norway spruce, persimmons and hazelnut for next spring to plant on this farm. I do the summer and fall food plots of clovers and brassicas on this place probably more than the wildlife can use.

I am trying to develop both properties as much as I can for wildlife. I have two grown sons (22-29) that love to hunt along with myself hunting for deer/turkey/rabbits and waterfowl. My wife enjoys just getting out bird watching and mushroom hunting in spring and berry picking in summer. My wife really enjoys having bluebird boxes out that she can keep an eye on so I put a dozen up for her.
I have been reading along for a few months on this site and am really looking forward to interacting with you all and learning from your vast experience...I am getting addicted to messing around with fruit trees but am fairly new to it.