Who are you?

Veterinarian in northeast Arkansas. 200 acres.. Mostly mature hardwoods with 30ish acres of pasture / plot / creek bottom. Our home is on the property. Avid deer and turkey hunters (wife and 3 kids too).

Over the past 6-8 years I've experimented with lots of food plots. I've grown Eagle Seed beans several times but due to limited acres I've had to fence them. They've done well but it was very labor intensive with the fencing efforts. I've use a two row planter to plant 3-4 acres of these beans on 22" rows. MUST fence or they get wiped out immediately.

My current objective is to acquire a no till drill to exponentially increase my soybean acreage to eliminate the need for fencing. Right now the number of man hours to plant an acre of soybeans is more than my busy life / schedule can handle.

Hello all I’m new to this forum . I live in Missouri hour west of StLouis , on 80 acres .
my wife and I started planting chestnut trees about 4 yrs ago . Last fall I actually got about 100 nuts , and I collected and germinated into trees .
a couple years ago I found another place 12 miles from me that has mature Dunstan trees . The man that planted these trees has since passed . But his son lets me harvest the nuts . Some of these hybrids I use to grow trees . Last year I sold probably 400 trees .
This year I’m trying my hand at apple trees . I’ve got about 70 in the greenhouse now . So next spring I’m going to try grafting .

We have two sons and three grand children that are the biggest part of our lives . This virus is frustrating because we can’t be with the kids .
My best buck is on my avatar, 154 with a bow . Nothing huge but for brown and down area I was thrilled .
I’m retired Auto worker and my wife is retired teacher . May be looking for help in the apple grafting field .
Thanks for reading .

Hello all I’m new to this forum . I live in Missouri hour west of StLouis , on 80 acres .
my wife and I started planting chestnut trees about 4 yrs ago . Last fall I actually got about 100 nuts , and I collected and germinated into trees .
a couple years ago I found another place 12 miles from me that has mature Dunstan trees . The man that planted these trees has since passed . But his son lets me harvest the nuts . Some of these hybrids I use to grow trees . Last year I sold probably 400 trees .
This year I’m trying my hand at apple trees . I’ve got about 70 in the greenhouse now . So next spring I’m going to try grafting .

We have two sons and three grand children that are the biggest part of our lives . This virus is frustrating because we can’t be with the kids .
My best buck is on my avatar, 154 with a bow . Nothing huge but for brown and down area I was thrilled .
I’m retired Auto worker and my wife is retired teacher . May be looking for help in the apple grafting field .
Thanks for reading .
Welcome Kennychestnut!

Hello all I am new to the site. I am a 38 Y/o and have a wife and 3 kids (10,7,3). I am currently an Operations Director in a Forbes 300 corporation, but family background is mostly farming and auto workers. I am also a Combat veteran (Army) and am thankful to anyone who has ever served or serves our country. I am originally from Michigan where I got addicted to habitat improvement. Currently residing in California but soon making it back to Midwest where we will purchase 80+ acres to improve the habitat. I am continuously consuming information and learning as much about habitat improvement as I can. I was successful in results on my 60-acre property in Michigan. Did a lot of things right (worked with Jake Ehlinger), and learned a lot (AKA would do a lot differently now). I read a lot of books on habitat (Sturgis, Grant Woods, Bartylla etc) and watch a lot of You tube, in addition to being proactive on message boards (active on another site.) I am really interested in building soil as well as creating diversity for many wildlife species.

Hello all I am new to the site. I am a 38 Y/o and have a wife and 3 kids (10,7,3). I am currently an Operations Director in a Forbes 300 corporation, but family background is mostly farming and auto workers. I am also a Combat veteran (Army) and am thankful to anyone who has ever served or serves our country. I am originally from Michigan where I got addicted to habitat improvement. Currently residing in California but soon making it back to Midwest where we will purchase 80+ acres to improve the habitat. I am continuously consuming information and learning as much about habitat improvement as I can. I was successful in results on my 60-acre property in Michigan. Did a lot of things right (worked with Jake Ehlinger), and learned a lot (AKA would do a lot differently now). I read a lot of books on habitat (Sturgis, Grant Woods, Bartylla etc) and watch a lot of You tube, in addition to being proactive on message boards (active on another site.) I am really interested in building soil as well as creating diversity for many wildlife species.
Welcome!

Hi, I'm new here from west central Illinois. I own 15 acres (4 tillable ag field and 11 timber). I've owned it since 2003. Over the years I have planted trees like oaks, chestnuts and fruit trees. I am not really in to food plots yet as I don't have much for equipment. Thanks

Hi, I'm new here from west central Illinois. I own 15 acres (4 tillable ag field and 11 timber). I've owned it since 2003. Over the years I have planted trees like oaks, chestnuts and fruit trees. I am not really in to food plots yet as I don't have much for equipment. Thanks
Welcome. Lots of experience to draw from here.

welcome!

bill

Here from Middle Tennessee. I have no idea how I never knew about this site, been posting to our state hunting forum for year with habitat questions.
I am working with a wetlands, so that is a bit different than most folks.

Here from Middle Tennessee. I have no idea how I never knew about this site, been posting to our state hunting forum for year with habitat questions.
I am working with a wetlands, so that is a bit different than most folks.
Welcome LanceS4803!

Hello from west Michigan. I am a retired career educator in my second career and fulfilled a lifelong dream of buying some hunting property late in the summer of 2019. It is just a bit over 21 acres, but has a mix of open grass field, woods, planted pines and a small clean stream running along the south border. Without much time to accomplish some improvements on our property, I planted a mix of six apple and crab apple trees in the middle section where the front field and woods meet. I also sprayed a small clearing to kill the weeds and broadcast some cereal rye to see how that went. This year I was gaining information and getting excited, when the covid-19 situation broke out and our governor went power mad with lockdowns and quarantines. I don't have any equipment but a rear tine tiller and Mantis type Echo, but hope to obtain some in the next couple years. So whatever I glean along the way will be of great help.

Welcome to the site Alaska at heart.

Hello from west Michigan. I am a retired career educator in my second career and fulfilled a lifelong dream of buying some hunting property late in the summer of 2019. It is just a bit over 21 acres, but has a mix of open grass field, woods, planted pines and a small clean stream running along the south border. Without much time to accomplish some improvements on our property, I planted a mix of six apple and crab apple trees in the middle section where the front field and woods meet. I also sprayed a small clearing to kill the weeds and broadcast some cereal rye to see how that went. This year I was gaining information and getting excited, when the covid-19 situation broke out and our governor went power mad with lockdowns and quarantines. I don't have any equipment but a rear tine tiller and Mantis type Echo, but hope to obtain some in the next couple years. So whatever I glean along the way will be of great help.
Welcome Alaska at heart!

Welcome, Kenny/habitataddict/silver pigeon/Lance and Alaska at heart! Looking forward to sharing experiences with all of you.

Great to see all the new members, I guess a little something good has come out of this CV thing giving you all time to find us!
Habitat addict great to see you’re a vet, thank you for your service. There are a few of us on here.
Lance there are more wetland members on here than you think, check out the "Everything Ponds" threads.

Hey everyone! Wife and i just picked up 40 acres in Price County, WI. The property has a pond, high ground, low ground and a bunch of new growth aspen (5 years old) roughly 25 of the forty acres were clear cut. Cant wait to explore this site and learn a lot. Im waiting on my soil samples to get back from the lab and then the fun begins! So far we have three different bucks on cam and a good amount of does, turkey and grouse. Now we have two fawns running around so that's a great sight to see. No wolves on the cameras (yet) but we did get one bear. If the bears start showing up more frequently i'm thinking of doing a veteran bear hunt for my fellow veterans. I guess my plans for the land are planting some fruit trees, oak and food plots. Im right on the border of zone 3 and 4, with a silt loam soil (magnor) so will have to see what works with that. Nice meeting you all!

Hey everyone! Wife and i just picked up 40 acres in Price County, WI. The property has a pond, high ground, low ground and a bunch of new growth aspen (5 years old) roughly 25 of the forty acres were clear cut. Cant wait to explore this site and learn a lot. Im waiting on my soil samples to get back from the lab and then the fun begins! So far we have three different bucks on cam and a good amount of does, turkey and grouse. Now we have two fawns running around so that's a great sight to see. No wolves on the cameras (yet) but we did get one bear. If the bears start showing up more frequently i'm thinking of doing a veteran bear hunt for my fellow veterans. I guess my plans for the land are planting some fruit trees, oak and food plots. Im right on the border of zone 3 and 4, with a silt loam soil (magnor) so will have to see what works with that. Nice meeting you all!
Welcome QuackAddict !

Welcome quack

Hi! Name is Eric and I recently picked up 160 acres in Hot Springs, SD - with intent on retiring there eventually (I'm 45 and for now I go back and forth from Maryland). I still haven't hunted on the land as SD lottery draws aren't the friendliest to non-residents - but it looks like starting next year I should be good to get a tag every year thereafter. Oddly enough, I've never hunted mule deers - only whitetail and Maryland Sika. Additionally, I do have elk on the land and am definitely looking forward to hunting elk as well.

I stumbled upon this site while researching the Cuddeback Gen 2 Firmware. I learned a ton going through the 20+ forum pages and figure this looks like a great place to both share and learn from others. But for now...I am just a padawan amongst you Jedi Masters.

When I am not hunting, scouting, or studying overhead imagery of the places I hunt or the species I hunt - I work in cyberspace, manipulating 1s and 0s to try and make sense of it all. (I must be a failure, cause I still haven't made sense of any of it...)

Hi! Name is Eric and I recently picked up 160 acres in Hot Springs, SD - with intent on retiring there eventually (I'm 45 and for now I go back and forth from Maryland). I still haven't hunted on the land as SD lottery draws aren't the friendliest to non-residents - but it looks like starting next year I should be good to get a tag every year thereafter. Oddly enough, I've never hunted mule deers - only whitetail and Maryland Sika. Additionally, I do have elk on the land and am definitely looking forward to hunting elk as well.

I stumbled upon this site while researching the Cuddeback Gen 2 Firmware. I learned a ton going through the 20+ forum pages and figure this looks like a great place to both share and learn from others. But for now...I am just a padawan amongst you Jedi Masters.

When I am not hunting, scouting, or studying overhead imagery of the places I hunt or the species I hunt - I work in cyberspace, manipulating 1s and 0s to try and make sense of it all. (I must be a failure, cause I still haven't made sense of any of it...)
Welcome Eric!

Welcome Eric!
This site holds a great wealth of information and the members here are a cut above the rest from a multitude of areas of the US.