Who’s also managing for pheasants?

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
I wasn’t really sure where to put this post since it’s not specially native habitat nor food plot, so I thought I would but it here. If it needs moving feel free to move. I’m curious who all on the forum are mangling for both deer and pheasant/quail? I’ve finally bought s farm that’s far enough enough north and open enough that I should be able to sustain a pheasant and quail population. I know predator control is likely one of the best things you can do to assist both deer and upland bird populations, but I’m curious what else you all do from a management and planting standpoint that is good for both deer and upland birds?

I have seen pheasants several times flying back and forth from my place to the drop fields across the gravel road. I have yet to jump a covey or quail but I also haven’t been out traipsing through the CRP much either. One thing I know for sure, my CRP could use some enhancing for all wildlife. I’m enrolled in CP-1 and about 2/3 of the way through the contract. I not going to make any sweeping changes right now since it’s all in my dime and potential re-enrollment is around the corner. I am clear to plant some switch grass/NWSG grasses, which I will probably my do on 5-10 acres. The previous owner planted what I assume to be some sort of tall sorghum in a 1.5 acre patch a few years ago. He said that patch held the most pheasants he’s ever seen in one spot on the farm. I think he said he’s kick out 8-12 when he went through it.

Anyhow, I just thought I would see what others are doing on here that can be mutually beneficial for both deer and upland birds?

I like to drill in sorghum for several reasons. I use it for screening, it holds lots of quail, and the deer love it.

I like to drill in sorghum for several reasons. I use it for screening, it holds lots of quail, and the deer love it.
In reading online it seems like grain sorghum is one of the better things that can be planted for many species. I assume corn would be good too, but probably not near the cover than a nice stand or sorghum would provide...and much more expensive than sorghum I would assume.

I manage for pheasants. How many acres of CRP do you have?

Birds will associate with vertical cover (willow, dogwood, lilac, olive etc.) particularly in a large area of grasses. I have 50 acres of CRP on my place with several small areas that are lower where I have planted shrubs to provide vertical cover. If you add a double ring of evergreens on upwind side of the shrubs you have a great spot for birds to associate with. If you have hawks or other birds of prey they can penetrate horizontal branches but not vertical branches that shrubs provide.

When trying to increase brood production remember 90% of a chicks diet is bugs so you need to produce brooding areas where Forbes and shorter grasses are prevelant. You can strip mow thicker grasses to slow grass growth, promote more flowers and provide an area for chicks.

If water is in short supply a pond is helpful.

Sorghum and corn are great draws for pheasants, larger areas are better.

Birds will associate with vertical cover (willow, dogwood, lilac, olive etc.) particularly in a large area of grasses. I have 50 acres of CRP on my place with several small areas that are lower where I have planted shrubs to provide vertical cover. If you add a double ring of evergreens on upwind side of the shrubs you have a great spot for birds to associate with. If you have hawks or other birds of prey they can penetrate horizontal branches but not vertical branches that shrubs provide.

When trying to increase brood production remember 90% of a chicks diet is bugs so you need to produce brooding areas where Forbes and shorter grasses are prevelant. You can strip mow thicker grasses to slow grass growth, promote more flowers and provide an area for chicks.

I’ve got 125 acres enrolled in CRP right now. Most of it hasn’t been well managed so I’m getting ready to start cleaning it up and making some improvements to the cover. I plan to plant some “pollinator” planting in and around some NWSG plantings and hope to mix in some sorghum/milo plantings in the same areas. I should have enough CRP acres that I can manage the areas that deer don’t utilize as much for pheasant habitat and the areas that deer frequent (during daylight...they use everything after daylight) for deer (hunting). I’d love to shoot a few pheasants each year which I think is entirely possible; I just need to get the habitat in order for them to successfully use my farm year round. I’m in the process of renovating a pond (1 +/- acre) that will be right next to 4ish acres of sunflowers, that I presume the pheasants will use of I can get them to maturity. I’ve got two other ponds on the property but both could use some work too; they hold water but are fairly heavily grown in.

Find with good winter cover, a good winter food scource, and timely spring trapping to remove skunks an coons.

I usually overwinter 180-220 wild birds on any given year.

We're coming off one of the best spring hatches in a long time.

But ma nature is testing them at the moment. We need to catch a break in the temps.

If you have Pheasants Forever over your way, I'd join up. They call and drop seed off every year for me. I planted a "Wildlife mix" last year from them. I've also gotten sorghum, pearl millet, etc. Every kind of bird in the neighborhood seem to love them all.

Also should add

Alot of native grass stands are about worthless at the moment. Just plum full of snow.

Thick cattail slough bottoms protected by thermal screening can be critical some years.

If you have Pheasants Forever over your way, I'd join up. They call and drop seed off every year for me. I planted a "Wildlife mix" last year from them. I've also gotten sorghum, pearl millet, etc. Every kind of bird in the neighborhood seem to love them all.
I actually just joined a month ago. The local banquet is tonight and unfortunately I can go. Would like to attend some events and get to know some of the other members though.

Also should add

Alot of native grass stands are about worthless at the moment. Just plum full of snow.

Thick cattail slough bottoms protected by thermal screening can be critical some years.
Where I’m at there are no cattail sloughs. I’m in the uplands on the MO/IA border...no marshes or sloughs too close to me so I’ve got to make due with my mostly upland terrain.

Freeborn and I are in areas where winter survival is critical. Your area may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have close to 60 acres of NWSGs and forbs. Pheasants don't survive in my area, but I'm covered up with quail. Just when checking trail cameras, I've jumped as many as 3 different coveys when walking less than 1/4 mile. They always make the hair raise on the back of my neck when they come up. I'm never ready for it.....

When I bought my farm you couldn’t buy a quail and I never saw a pheasant. Today if I’m not jumping quail and listening to pheasant cackling something would be wrong. I never did anything specifically for them but they have benefited. Well, I do drop a disk every once in a while in a field and just scratch the surface. In N MO if you do that chances are common ragweed will thrive there that summer.

Unintentional, but I think besides converting broam fields to natives the next best thing I’ve done is edge feathering. Also had a fence line full of trees that I hinged. They love that spot.

When I bought my farm you couldn’t buy a quail and I never saw a pheasant. Today if I’m not jumping quail and listening to pheasant cackling something would be wrong. I never did anything specifically for them but they have benefited. Well, I do drop a disk every once in a while in a field and just scratch the surface. In N MO if you do that chances are common ragweed will thrive there that summer.

Unintentional, but I think besides converting broam fields to natives the next best thing I’ve done is edge feathering. Also had a fence line full of trees that I hinged. They love that spot.
I haven’t done any hinging or feathering, but I know my CRP could use some assistance. With my plantings this year I’m hoping to help out with food, but they definitely need some assistance with cover. Hopefully my experience will be similar to yours.

I've been trying to leave/create as much good brushy cover as I can and have been planting stuff with small later hanging fruit and seeds. I'm in year three of my pasture being put into native grasses switch/indian/bluestem with a lot of Johnson grass volunteered in.
With training the dog I released about eighty quail in small groups late summer early fall last year for the her to work, most of them last about a couple weeks or until the first hard cold rain. Put out some pheasants in mid November and they stayed through first week of January so our cover was good enough for them to find food and shelter, it was fun taking the dog out and shooting a limit on days off.
My state does wild quail relocation once in a blue moon and I'm hoping to get on the list for that someday even if my county never has a quail season, my neighbors also have some cover that would work for quail. We just don't have big enough cover for pheasants to ever make a comeback here there are only a few pockets of wild pheasants left in the state.
So I'll keep trying to sexy our little area up and doing the put and take thing for now...it is fun being out at the farm and hearing a quail whistle or rooster cackle.

I have a pheasant farm. It is all pheasant habitat, shelterbelts, food plots, cattail sloughs, CRP, creek bottoms. My numbers are usually very good, but I will say besides the CRP/switchgrass, the most important feature is the tree rows of spruce/cedar/plum/chokecherry.

The birds are thick on my farm now, with all the snow. The cornVill-from the stand.jpg is right at the snow level.

For the time being they have taken to roosting in a couple of my old spruce trees right out the backdoor and eating what remains of the few berries on my shurbs. Once the snow levels receed I expect them to venture out. Dog gets a kick out of flushing them up every once in awhile when he can catch them off gaurd.