All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitetail / Habitat Magazines

If youbjoin qdma..the quality whitetails magazine you get 6 times a year is excellent

:eek: "Danger, Will Robinson!"

BE NICE! He is new, he doesn't know!!!!

Get the popcorn out the show is about to start....

I sent yukonhunter a PM - he is a new guy lets not run him off just yet - I don't know him, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was genuinely trying to help!

If we attack every new member here that brings up the "Q" phrase - it's not going to grow and we could chase off some very good folks or worse yet we could keep from helping someone that really could use our help.

I saw absolutely zero negative things said

Not yet...... I have seen this group in action before - sometimes all it takes is a spark and the entire thing explodes like a powder-keg! Based on bueller's post he knows what I'm talking about and I'm sure he isn't the only one. Just trying to snuff that spark so we can stay on track - I know the explosion is far more entertaining, but still most of us have seen that explosion before - it isn't pretty. I for one avoid even bringing it up any more simply because of the fear of the chaos that tends to follow. Sorry if I got a stick in my ass.

As other said, you just can't get the level of detail from an article that you can from here or a book. When I started, I had 2500 words to work with, regardless of the magazine...I'm down to 1 that will still allow me to use that many words. Instead, they want them in the 1500-900 word range, to better fit the twitter world we live in today.

As far as my taste goes, there is D&DH and North American Whitetail are the ones I like best. Because I want as much research as I can get and am not a fan of buck profiles, D&DH has always been my favorite, with John J Ozoga's column almost always being what I see as the best article in the magazine. That said, North American Whitetail is typically a thicker magazine and almost always has a piece or two with teeth to them, making up for the Billy Bob shot a huge buck stories.

I agree with Steve, nearly word by word. John Ozoga's information is often as good as it gets for the northern hunter. Maybe not habitat based, but lolts of good basic info on deer movement and behavior.
I get NAW when the subscription is cheap, then get pissed off and almost cancel it. But a decent article shows up about 3 times a year. I just cannot take all of the emphasis on big bucks and score in that magazine and most of the time, Dr. Deer rubs me the wrong way.
I used to enjoy Quality Whitetails, but most of the information seemed regional. I don't miss it at all.........

This forum and a group of us that bounce questions off of each other is as good as it gets.

I stopped reading D&DH many years ago after I read one of those "feel good" articles that are more of a reflection of the past....and old-timer reflecting on the bye-gon days of deer hunting. In the article the old-timer author purports to take a journey to his old hunting grounds of his youth in hopes of connecting with his past. He stumbles upon his hand built tree stand that he made 50 years earlier. There it was, broken, weathered, worn, and....get ready for it....10 feet higher up in the three than when he built it due to the tree's growth. WTF? The author, who was probably a 21 year old college intern and who, I have no doubt, never set foot in the forest did not know that trees don't actually grow up out of the ground like they do in of Tom & Jerry cartoons. What an absurd fabrication. I didn't even finish that issue...closed the page and have not picked up a deer hunting or outdoors magazine since.

This forum and the wealth of knowledge contained collectively within the membership is worth more to me than any magazine subscription. If John ever decided to solicit a modest donation for operating costs I'd gladly help out.

The thing with the QDMA magazines are they are way too over the top IMO. Almost like when you have a speaker trying to teach a class or a co-worker giving a presentation and they care more about themselves looking smart or talking above people when their job is to train or better the audience. Tell me how to kill more bucks. That's all.

As Buckchaser once said, they can stick their forum AND their Ragazine up their AZZ!;)

Last edited:
Gamekeepers maybe? Used to be ok, haven't seen it for a few years though, so no idea about current content.

The editor is from MN. He's a friend, good guy!
Magazine does have a lot of Southern articles, since it's sponsored by Biologic.

Some good stuff in the magazine about habitat.

Haha i had no idea the q word caused a stir. My fault i guess

Haha i had no idea the q word caused a stir. My fault i guess
Lol, the one thing I did like about their mag when I used to get it was the plant i.d's. Welcome to habitat-talk!

We got guys like Native Hunter - who can ID anything! We got our own apple pros, our own industry insiders and just for grins here.....

The top 5 contributors here are:
Foggy, Stu, Wisc, Mo and Bur - so combined how much plotting and habitat experience is there just among those 5 guys???? I'm just taking a guess but I bet there is 100 years total there or more! Maybe much more!!!

And your not getting bombarded with sales pitches in the processes here.

All for FREE because of our great host - John W! And his spam killing team!!

Who needs a magazine?????? Save the tree - Hinge it!!!!!!!

We got guys like Native Hunter - who can ID anything! We got our own apple pros, our own industry insiders and just for grins here.....

The top 5 contributors here are:
Foggy, Stu, Wisc, Mo and Bur - so combined how much plotting and habitat experience is there just among those 5 guys???? I'm just taking a guess but I bet there is 100 years total there or more! Maybe much more!!!

And your not getting bombarded with sales pitches in the processes here.

All for FREE because of our great host - John W! And his spam killing team!!

Who needs a magazine?????? Save the tree - Hinge it!!!!!!!
I would guess it is more like 100 years worth of BS!;)

Nothing wrong with Brown Sugar,you just have to have it in moderation like anything else.

I would guess it is more like 100 years worth of BS!;)

It ain't BS if people believe you........

It ain't BS if people believe you........

All hunters are liars.....except me and you. .......and sometimes I'm not to sure about you. ;)

All hunters are liars.....except me and you. .......and sometimes I'm not to sure about you. ;)
Yeah, I know.

Now, where is my share of that Rain Dance money?
I see you have a special account, and I was supposed to be in charge so money was not wasted on worthless projects.
I'm gett'n thirsty! ;)

I used the rain dance proceeds I collected to travel to Europe. While there, I traveled to Zurich where I opened a Swiss Bank Account. The money wired-transferred now goes into that numbered account. :D

I figured if it was good enough for the Bill and Hillary foundation.....it oughtta work for me too. ;)