White Flowering Dogwood

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
I bought one for my mom for mothers day along with a Magenta Crabapple and a Redbud. Both of those are doing fine but the white flower dogwood has no buds at all. I trimmed it down a few inches last night and its all green underneath but not even a hint of a bud anywhere on the tree. Has all sorts of bare straight branches but no signs of outer life.

Any ideas?

I bought one for my mom for mothers day along with a Magenta Crabapple and a Redbud. Both of those are doing fine but the white flower dogwood has no buds at all. I trimmed it down a few inches last night and its all green underneath but not even a hint of a bud anywhere on the tree. Has all sorts of bare straight branches but no signs of outer life.

Any ideas?

How old was it? We've got an old one (here when my parents bought the house 20+ years ago) and half of it is exactly as you described. Does it have any leaves? Ours doesn't.

No, not 1 leaf, nor buds that may turn into a leaf. I'm completely perplexed by this as I don't know whether to pull it or leave it. We've had plenty of warmth and rain to make stuff grow in W MI. All my trees are leafed and green as are anything else I see driving around.

I just planted this on Mothers Day but the other trees were dormant that I planted with it and they all have big leaves on them now.

No, not 1 leaf, nor buds that may turn into a leaf. I'm completely perplexed by this as I don't know whether to pull it or leave it. We've had plenty of warmth and rain to make stuff grow in W MI. All my trees are leafed and green as are anything else I see driving around.

I just planted this on Mothers Day but the other trees were dormant that I planted with it and they all have big leaves on them now.

Maybe it'll take. My neighbor had a ginkgo planted by the city in March, it woke up over a month later than his other ginkgo that is 50 feet from it.

Ok i'll give it some time but jeez its the 2nd week of June ya know.

I had a plum I planted last year and was sure it was dead. It took till mid June before it started growing leaves. This year it leafed out normal and was covered in blossoms.