Which CWD Approach Better - WI Let It Happen or Kill Them To Save Them?

If you go to WI DNR page and look at test results, the highest testing counties run 20-30% positive results.
Yes - that is correct - but that includes all deer. The stat in the picture above singles out just bucks. Everything I have read says bucks have a higher infection rate because of their larger home range provides them a larger opportunity to contact other infected deer

I certainly don't have the answer. My observation is that if CWD has been around for 60 years, probably longer, 1000s of people have likely consumed it. Am I going to go intentionally eat CWD positive venison of course not. Killing deer for sake of killing deer to keep them from potentially catching a disease is asinine. How do you know that all the healthy deer you are killing aren't the ones with some kind of natural resistance/ immunity? You will never wipe out CWD by killing deer, so I really don't see the point for open ended slaughter.

Which is better - the approach Wisconsin has taken to basically let it run it course with high deer densities and high infection rates - or states like IL where they have employed sharpshooters and other methods to successfully reduce deer density and infection rates

Or is no cwd management plan worth anything😎
When did Wis take that approach? They tried for years to wipe out every deer walking and got no where.
Cwd is a joke, covid for deer if you may. Sure some will die, but what's left will be stronger. But we have no one with stones enough to just say sometimes animals get sick and die, let it run it's course.
To say CWS has been around since the 60s is falicy also, it's been around in sure as long as animals have been around. This isn't something new, just a new something for the gobmint to use to scare people

Does anyone think the real concern is this hypothetical situation:

We eventually find that CWD crosses the species boundary to humans in rare cases. The fear causes a major drop in deer hunter numbers. State wildlife agencies see major loss of revenue due to major drop in license sales.

I'm sure the states are horrified with the prospect of a human case. They need dead deer. Many more than cwd can kill. Conundrum.

We're in a hot zone and just eat them. Doesn't crack my top ten thousand of worries in life. A sick looking deer will be tossed. Did it with one.

If cwd crosses over to humans, beyond a shadow of a doubt - there will be an upheaval in the hunting industry like we have never seen

If cwd crosses over to humans, beyond a shadow of a doubt - there will be an upheaval in the hunting industry like we have never seen
The groundwork is certainly being laid to scapegoat the deer for something. Whether it's fallout from those things of which we no longer speak, broad spectrum use of cholesterol meds or anti-depressants and their increased risk of dimentia, or general neurological decline from a lifelong diet of pesticides, vegetable oils, flouride, and malnutrition. Whatever it is, it'll be bullshit.

If they had that planned (jump to humans) they would have pushed it alot further by now I would think.

I try to yield to experts in their field whenever possible. I don't think it is conspiracy, but how all of this is being handled is a head scratcher.

Anyone making CWD management decisions is stuck between a rock and a hard place. It seems like an incredibly difficult thing to study in the field, and so far there are zero solutions. The only proposed method is to try and slow the spread until better solutions are found. Looking at the map that Bill linked to in the Missouri thread shows that they are trying this strategy.

Two of our farms are within half a mile of a CWD positive deer and they did not extend the range of the management zone to our properties. I interpret this as MDC as using these ranges as study areas. I don't know the instructions sent to our neighbors, but this seems like the best way for studying the spread.

My understanding is that they are aggressive with managing herd numbers only where positive cases are confirmed. If you take these organizations at their word, this is to delay the spread as much as possible until more practical solutions are found. It's not news to anyone that most deer have ranges bigger than 1/2 a mile. They certainly could have included our farms within these management zones but chose not to. For that, I have a few reasons to be thankful.

A problem I have with how our state manages - which is by county - you can have one infected deer just over the county line. That county and adjacent counties then fall into the cwd management zone. Your land could easily be 75 miles away and be affected

Our state does not ban baiting - as they call it during season. They do ban supplemental feeding outside of season

Does anyone think the real concern is this hypothetical situation:

We eventually find that CWD crosses the species boundary to humans in rare cases. The fear causes a major drop in deer hunter numbers. State wildlife agencies see major loss of revenue due to major drop in license sales.

If they are worried, there is little basis for it.
1726316591877.png

NIH Study Shows Chronic Wasting Disease Unlikely to Move From Animals

If they are worried then stop selling corn by the bag with a buck on it in places like Wisconsin wal marts. But you know cutting the flow of money is where decision makers draw a hard line….

They still sell trophy rocks and buck jams at every outdoor store in IL, and it's been illegal 100% of the time for at least a decade. They wouldn't stock it if it didn't sell.

Corn and mineral is probably owned by some big commodity company whose lobby is making $ure these products stay on the shelf.

Corn and mineral is probably owned by some big commodity company whose lobby is making $ure these products stay on the shelf.

Big Ag…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Ag…

The day I learned crossbows have a lobby is the day I realized corn will never leave the wal mart shelves

Our state allows baiting during season on the premise baiting leads to a greater harvest, thus a greater reduction in deer density. They are 100% correct. I would bet half the state’s harvest, if not more, is killed over a bait pile. I have a Number of five and ten acre neighbors with a corn feeder. Anytime during deer season they can kill two or three deer for the freezer. There is absolutely no other draw to their land that would entice a deer. That said, without baiting, it might be downright scary to drive down he road at night

Corn, trophy rocks, crossbows, etc. are all just a means to an end. What some may not understand is that the car insurance lobby puts tremendous pressure on the state wildlife agencies. The DNR head in Wisconsin is a political appointee by the governor. So the car insurance lobby can wield a lot of pressure.

The car insurance industry would love to see every deer dead so they can reduce their liability & costs. The problem is that the $$ generated from deer hunting has a huge economic impact in Wisconsin for small business' and license revenue for the state.

As they say ... follow the money.

Like others have stated, I'd have no idea it existed if I wasn't told it did. I eat deer every week and have never tested one. There're endless more likely ways I could die every day. I'm not getting worked up about this one.

Human transmission has been proven just as much as plant uptake transmission has, in that it hasn’t.

There is no science here. Lots of headlines and booga boogary. If CWD was passed thru urine and feces and taken up by plants, we’ve all already got it because soybean oil is in everything.

We’ve certainly been eating CWD positive deer for 60+ years. Of all the things that will snuff out humanity before it’s time, tainted venison doesn’t make my top 50. It’s not rational to scrutinize wild venison more than what we get from the store or drive thru.

If anyone wants something worry about, start wondering where the end product of human alkaline hydrolysis is ending up, and which groceries you’re eating were fertilized with it. Some just goes down the drain to the next city for drinking water.

I was told 20 years ago to just avoid the brains which contains the prions, but then I looked at my neighbor and all his brain tanning work. He is/was crazy, which is why we got along so good, but I don't think it was the CWD.

This guy spent all day every day elbow deep in deer brains.
65c427daad570.image.jpg