Which CWD Approach Better - WI Let It Happen or Kill Them To Save Them?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Which is better - the approach Wisconsin has taken to basically let it run it course with high deer densities and high infection rates - or states like IL where they have employed sharpshooters and other methods to successfully reduce deer density and infection rates

Or is no cwd management plan worth anything😎

Which is better - the approach Wisconsin has taken to basically let it run it course with high deer densities and high infection rates - or states like IL where they have employed sharpshooters and other methods to successfully reduce deer density and infection rates

Or is no cwd management plan worth anything😎
IL's last report basically said they're losing ground. At least in the area I was most focused on (mine).

It would be nice to understand how many deer die because of CWD? That is very different than how many deer die with CWD. I think of it like heart disease in humans. Many people have it, but they don't all die because of it.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.

CWD has been around since at least the 1960s. Why did it become an issue so terrible we have to kill all the deer to save them around 40 years later?

I understand cwd prevalence in some of the initial counties in WI is approaching 50% in bucks. One would think, if anywhere, there would be a significant number of deer dying from cwd there. Anyone from that local area able to confirm or deny? I understand there is still a reasonable number of quality bucks available. I would hate to have to hunt in an area with almost 50% prevalence.

CWD has been around since at least the 1960s. Why did it become an issue so terrible we have to kill all the deer to save them around 40 years later?
In whitetails? I’d like to read more about that.

If it were a problem, culling all deer would only prolong the problem because the immune deer would be prevented from replacing the susceptible deer.

But, as in most things these days, if the media didn’t tell us this was a problem, would any of us ever know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In whitetails? I’d like to read more about that.
A simple internet search of "CWD first identified in whitetail deer" will get you loads of reading.

You can also check the rates of positive results on the WI DNR website. I dent think its anywhere near 50%
2023 result show about 17000 tests and 1500 positive. Granted that's state wide but does not differentiate between bucks and does.

Last edited:
If it were a problem, culling all deer would only prolong the problem because the immune deer would be prevented from replacing the susceptible deer.

But, as in most things these days, if the media didn’t tell us this was a problem, would any of us ever know?

That’s a great point. Of every single friend I have that spends anytime outdoors, none of us would have any clue about cwd if we weren’t told we need to fear it. That includes a buddy that owns land in the hot bed cwd zone of Wisconsin. It’s like bidennomics, if you have to tell me over and over how good it is yet I still don’t see it…it may not be that good.

That’s a great point. Of every single friend I have that spends anytime outdoors, none of us would have any clue about cwd if we weren’t told we need to fear it. That includes a buddy that owns land in the hot bed cwd zone of Wisconsin. It’s like bidennomics, if you have to tell me over and over how good it is yet I still don’t see it…it may not be that good.

That’s basically all the news is supposed to do, convince what your eyes and ears are telling you isn’t real.

Isn't that the job of the media?

It appears iowa, richland, and sauk counties in WI are right around 33% infection rate overall. Based on the supposed fact that bucks have higher prevalence rates - it wouldnt surprise me if infection rates in bucks are approaching 50%

I'm not as much worried about CWD in deer as I am in me or my family eating a CWD infected deer. I know humans aren't supposed to be able to get it, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to eat one that tests positive. Do we just not test and eat away? What if it becomes so prevalent that almost all are positive? Do we still hunt them and eat them anyway? Or, do we cut the antlers off and just throw the meat away? I don't have any clue what the solution is, or even that there is one.

It appears iowa, richland, and sauk counties in WI are right around 33% infection rate overall. Based on the supposed fact that bucks have higher prevalence rates - it wouldnt surprise me if infection rates in bucks are approaching 50%
It could very well be I juts couldn't find any data splitting out bucks and does. As for me and mine, I would sooner eat CWD venison vs hormone injected beef, pork or poultry.

I can honestly say we have found dead bucks on our place. We had pictures of a 4.5 yr old buck all summer and fall, seemed healthy and about December 1st we noticed he wasn't looking right. Figured it was the rut until we got pics late December and he looked sickly. Found him dead early January and had him tested. Came back positive for CWD.

IMG_2583.png

I'm not as much worried about CWD in deer as I am in me or my family eating a CWD infected deer. I know humans aren't supposed to be able to get it, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to eat one that tests positive. Do we just not test and eat away? What if it becomes so prevalent that almost all are positive? Do we still hunt them and eat them anyway? Or, do we cut the antlers off and just throw the meat away? I don't have any clue what the solution is, or even that there is one.
I think that's the fear. It' related to mad cow disease which eventually spread into a human form. Will it eventually morph into something that humans can get. My personal thought is they have no idea what to do so they're just trying to slow the spread until they can figure it out.

Human transmission has been proven just as much as plant uptake transmission has, in that it hasn’t.

There is no science here. Lots of headlines and booga boogary. If CWD was passed thru urine and feces and taken up by plants, we’ve all already got it because soybean oil is in everything.

We’ve certainly been eating CWD positive deer for 60+ years. Of all the things that will snuff out humanity before it’s time, tainted venison doesn’t make my top 50. It’s not rational to scrutinize wild venison more than what we get from the store or drive thru.

If anyone wants something worry about, start wondering where the end product of human alkaline hydrolysis is ending up, and which groceries you’re eating were fertilized with it. Some just goes down the drain to the next city for drinking water.