When to Fertilize

Ck1084

A good 3 year old buck
I have no choice but to plant my Rye, Clover, Radish, & PTT mix this weekend. Its been very dry this summer, but it looks like we may get some rain late next week.

The question is should I just till the fertilizer in with my lime and seed this weekend, or wait until next weekend and broadcast it on top of the ground and let the rain wash it in?

I would till it in.

Till it in at planting.

Even if we don't receive rain for 4-5 days? I just want to be sure I don't burn the seeds.

What fertilizer are you planning on broadcasting? Most fertilizer, other than Nitrogen, wont soil transfer for about a year anyways.

Disc it in now or broadcast over the top this fall, wont matter much either way, but the sooner you get it in or on the ground the sooner it will be available next year.

Seed now and then if the PTT comes good, add some Urea over the top right before a rain if possible.

Till it in and the Potash and Phosphorous will start to work and you will protect the Nitrogen by tilling it in as opposed to broadcasting and hoping it will rain. This one as other have suggested is a no brainier - been there done that on "have no choice but plant this weekend thing".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read on QDMA to use 300lbs of 19-19-19 per acre. The mill only Had 10-20-20. So I got 5 bags of that and one bag of UREA 46-0-0 that I was going to add to get the Nitrogen numbers up.

I have Buckwheat in there right now and I applied a few bags of 10-20-20 when I planted that.

I also recommend to disc it in now. Then top dress some urea after the plants are 6 inches tall or taller.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Guys!

Even if we don't receive rain for 4-5 days? I just want to be sure I don't burn the seeds.

I have always tilled my fert and urea right before I plant. I broadcast radish seeds right after I till and then drag them with a section of drag. Then I topseed the smaller seed(rape /kale/turnips)and let the rain pack them in. Never had any issues with seed burn.