When to fall seed clover?

Powder

5 year old buck +
Next year I plan on killing off my plots in late spring (they are a disaster), spray again in mid June to kill what I missed. My main purpose is to get clover established to create a nice plot that will last for many years. Growth for the current year is secondary.

How soon can I 'fall seed' a mix of clover and rye? I think what I'm looking for is how many days before the normal first frost date? I'd like to give it the longest growing season possible while still not having to compete with the spring weed growth.

I am in Northern MN if that helps.

I put it out no later than September 1st in western MN, mid August if I have time and good rain forcasted

Just a thought.
I know everyone says fall plant clover. And that is probably the best. But I’ve grown some great spring planted clover.

When I do, I kill everything late April, broadcast the clover with oats. Then come back,”if” I need to and spray clethodim for unwanted grasses and 2-4/DB for broad leaf.

I’ve made some really good spring clover patches.

Plant them in rye now and then hit it with 24-D in the spring after the rye breaks dormancy.

Throw and mow clover with the forecast mid August-September

Spring planting with oats works as well. That is how the majority of the farmers around me plant alfalfa. Mow the plot after the oats mature and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring planting with oats works as well. That is how the majority of the farmers around me plant alfalfa. Mow the plot after the oats mature and enjoy.
Most of the forage/hay fields are established this way in my area. Best if the spring grain cover is harvested for silage rather then combined, this gives the forage an extra couple of weeks to take off, without competition.

I have had my best luck fall planting clover with rye in the middle of August. You are late enough in the year that no weeds are germinating and early enough that both the rye and clover can get going before the frost/snow. This is in west central MN. The following spring the rye is up and growing long before the weeds can get started and it over competes and weeds that try.

I'm in zone 3, I blow mine on early august. Has never failed me. I'd still try now, it's only seed. Even if it doesn't go, white clover can have lots of hard seed that won't germinate this year and will come next year just like it was frost seeded, only you don't have to time it.