Wheat and Oats terminated and regen plus soybeans

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Crazy how well terminated Winter Wheat and Oats regerminates from terminated, mature plants. I tilled it a few weeks ago, last week it looked like a green carpet. I broadcast some left over soybeans and tilled again. A week later and 2" of rain it looks like this. I have 4 smaller plots as of this post. Just didnt have time to get everything done. I will experiment a bit. Fenced it to keep the deer out of this particular one. We will see how it fairs compared to another that is not fenced. Another has Buckwheat as a companion crop with the beans. Got a little Cool Season Pollinator blend and some Black Oil Sunflower germinating as well. Could not have timed it better with the rain this week.

closeup beans and wheat.jpgwheatbeans fenced.jpg

Cool Season Pollinator Mix

cools season pollinator mix germinated.jpg

Do the critters not eat the wheat seed? My wheat matures early June. Within three weeks, you cant find a wheat seed. Everything from doves and turkeys to deer and hogs relish the wheat seeds

Do the critters not eat the wheat seed? My wheat matures early June. Within three weeks, you cant find a wheat seed. Everything from doves and turkeys to deer and hogs relish the wheat seeds
Same here SwampCat, when my wheat matures the deer will come thru and completely strip the heads of all seed.

No hogs here. I have never seen deer eat wheat heads around here. The turkeys might have been using it some, but low numbers currently. There were a few doves in it, more so after I mowed it.

The old combines used to shoot half the yield out the back with the straw. That ended up being better than the brassicas I planted in between the rows. That was the year I learned oats were a fall forage.

MY old huntin club would plant wheat for released pheasants. Anything special about the soybeans? Special late season one?

I did wheat and oats with other stuff this year. First year in several I used discs, suprised how well they grew into rows from broadcast then disc a few passes.

MY old huntin club would plant wheat for released pheasants. Anything special about the soybeans? Special late season one?

I did wheat and oats with other stuff this year. First year in several I used discs, suprised how well they grew into rows from broadcast then disc a few passes.
No they were just your run of the mill RoundUp ready ag beans. They should have been planted at the beginning of the Summer, but I just didnt have time or when I did it was too wet. Most of the crop ag beans will start turning brown before much longer as they mature. These I just planted will stay green up until the 1st killing frost which could be be mid-October or later. They wont make pods but they will be a good green food source.