What would be the best thing to plant on my trails

Are these the trails that run through the center of your property?
Yes

Will asslike clover grow in low light situation like that along the trail?

I would still reconsider where the roads are before you fix them all up. There are of course no 'rules' for access but perimeter access is usually much better unless you are hunting deer that sleep on the neighbors. That up the middle access lets the deer know you are around very quickly.

Nothing like asslike clover :p

Alsike will take some shade, but it will get leggy and spindly. I thought you wanted to avoid planting stuff that would draw deer to the trails?

I think that's the preference. Open to suggestions if it will grow better of have some other advantage.

I think bat man is going to get at I'm prob going to get more waking trails put in when. I log for access so it won't matter if I atttrack deer to these trails

I think that's the preference. Open to suggestions if it will grow better of have some other advantage.

I think bat man is going to get at I'm prob going to get more waking trails put in when. I log for access so it won't matter if I atttrack deer to these trails

Your going to build roads for loggers to use? Don't they build their own?

Yeah I would go with asslike clover as well....lol.

alsike will tolerate a lower ph and way wetter feet than some of the other clovers, but you will have deer browsing there.

You said dry humps....lol.

So your asslikes dry humps.....lol

Sorry couldn't resist....I'll end the beavis and butthead routine.

Poor guy jumps in here for help and get nothing but chit. He may get his answers eventually-

Even with a ph in the 5's, with consistent moisture I wouldn't hesitate to plant white dutch or even ladino clover...but...that comes back to whether you want to draw deer to the trails or not.

I want the the best possible plant to protect the trails. Whatever that may be. I might want those trails to be deer trails in the future if I'm accessing my stands from the outside new one loggers create them

I'm with Dave - stone. Anything I would plant would be a fescue or some sort of grass. I would not plant anything that could possibly draw the deer. Fescue is tailor made for holding soils and taking some abuse. Stone isn't that bad expense wise it's the trucking that kills you. I hate suggesting fescue, but it's a great tool for tasks like this.

I would still reconsider where the roads are before you fix them all up. There are of course no 'rules' for access but perimeter access is usually much better unless you are hunting deer that sleep on the neighbors. That up the middle access lets the deer know you are around very quickly.

Right. My plan for this existing is to use this as my equipment access trail (atv tractor) to get to my plots. Then use the new walking trails the atv won't be able to drive on to access my stands. So maybe clover would not be so bad.

Your going to build roads for loggers to use? Don't they build their own?

I will fix the trails after its logged. Not before.

I go along with that approach. If you're bringing in a dozer, put the roads where it is most beneficial and abandon the road in the middle completely. It took years for me to get over the mental aspect of giving up my road through the middle as it had been there forever. I'm over it now. I don't walk it or even look at it now.

Sorry about the "asslike". I'm doing this all ony phone tonight. :D

The best protection is going to be staying off of them with wheeled vehicles when they're wet ;)

I'd guess a sod forming grass would provide the best protection you're gonna get

Yeah. I didn't think they would rut that quick. Boy did I learn that quick. Big problem for a guy with limited time and long list of things to do that require equiptment and only being there some weekends.

When you sod forming. What do you mean?

Last year I started to put crushed sandstone on my trails. The largest size was about 2.5". It cost me $5.25 a yard, I was billed for 90 yards but got to know the driver a little so the loads were larger than the 17 they hauled/billed them at. I more than likely got about 100 yards. The $472.50 was well worth it to me. Going to do more this summer.

^^^some grasses are clump forming (most fescues) and some form sod (bluegrass, rye grass, some others that don't come immediately to mind)
Sod forming > clump forming?

I still think keepin the main trail down the middle for equipment is my best option. Just won't use that trail at all during the season. Then put small skinny walking trails for hunting access purpose. Probably won't even run a Dozer over those trails.

Mo. I understand what crowning is. I said I would get all the trails ditched and crowned with a Dozer. After that I wanted to know what the best thing to plant is.

I said Alsike and Med Red Clover. But not in flat ground with standing water. Crown the road and then plant. That is the best thing.