What kind are these?

John-W-WI

Administrator
They showed up in the yard at work (sandy soil, quite a bit of rain lately). They are growing in the shade of a tree.

Although they look 'tough' they are light and fluffy like any other mushroom.

Any ideas what they are? Good to eat or deadly?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

No clue, but I'm curious how one looks at something like that and gets hungry. :)

Bill, if you've only had grocery store or fast food shooms, I can see where you're coming from. Wild shrooms are like aged sharp cheddar vs grocery store slab American cheese.

Same reason I don't do salads. If you need to drown veggies in ranch to make them palatable, I'd rather not eat them at all.

Not sure about that one John. What does it look like from underneath?

Bill, if you've only had grocery store or fast food shooms, I can see where you're coming from. Wild shrooms are like aged sharp cheddar vs grocery store slab American cheese.

Same reason I don't do salads. If you need to drown veggies in ranch to make them palatable, I'd rather not eat them at all.

Not sure about that one John. What does it look like from underneath?

I'm sure your right, wild ones would taste better. It's just a visual thing :)

A big help in identifying mushrooms is knowing what kind of trees they are growing near. Chanterelles normally grow near white oaks, Morels near elms, and I think the pic above is of an Ash Tree Bolote. If it is I think some folks do eat them, but not considered good eats by most (but won't kill you.) I could be totally wrong on the id and they might be deadly poisonous. (standard warning on any edible id)

Also, if that lawn has seen any kind of chemicals, don't eat mushrooms from it.

I'm certainly no expert and I can't identify that one but it looks to me like that has gills under the cap and gilled mushrooms are not boletes.

With a closer look I think you would see that those aren't really gills. Notice on the part of the bottomside farthest from the stem how there isn't flappy gills. I think the pores are just aligned in a way to give the appearance of gills.

I just enlarged the picture and see what you mean. Thanks.