What else to plant this late?

r49740

5 year old buck +
Not real happy with my beans this year. Many areas didnt really grow at all. Im going to till it back under and replant(broadcast) something else. The deer loved the brassicas last year and will be putting in a good amount of that. What else have you all had luck planting in August for late season hunting, or even early spring food for deer and turkey? Sprayer should be in today or tomorrow, so I'll be spraying off hopefully over this next week, and then able to start tilling and planting by month end.

Where are u located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple spots like that too...

Gonna be some cereal grains, driller radishes, and PTT in my future this fall I think

I’m in far ne Ohio. What’s ptt?

PPT (Purple Top Turnips)

As for what else you can plant, the options are pretty much wide open.

Clover, Barley, Brassica, Buckwehat, Crimson Clover, Egyptian Wheat, Oats, Purple Top Turnips, Rye, Winter Wheat and that list goes on. I have found that horse oats (horse feed) grows really well. Everything loves it. It doesn't look like a magazine cover with big brassica leafs but it's easy to grow.

Ive got a mix of brassicas and rape that will be put in. Was looking for some other ideas for diversity as well. I have a fair amount of clover down as well, along with corn, beans, sunflower, millet, and oats. Everything together will be about 12 acres

Not real happy with my beans this year. Many areas didnt really grow at all. Im going to till it back under and replant(broadcast) something else. The deer loved the brassicas last year and will be putting in a good amount of that. What else have you all had luck planting in August for late season hunting, or even early spring food for deer and turkey? Sprayer should be in today or tomorrow, so I'll be spraying off hopefully over this next week, and then able to start tilling and planting by month end.

I like to broadcast a cover crop of Winter Rye, Crimson Clover, and Purple Top Turnips into standing beans when they yellow. Farmers use a similar cover crop. It is good for the soil as well as deer. Planting time will depend on your location and the maturity group of your beans.

Thanks,

Jack

I like to broadcast a cover crop of Winter Rye, Crimson Clover, and Purple Top Turnips into standing beans when they yellow. Farmers use a similar cover crop. It is good for the soil as well as deer. Planting time will depend on your location and the maturity group of your beans.

Thanks,

Jack

You have good luck just broadcasting and leaving without any kind of packing or covering seeds?

You have good luck just broadcasting and leaving without any kind of packing or covering seeds?

WR will germinate in the back of a pick-up truck. One decent rain and the clover/PTT will be washed into the soil for good contact. All will also absorb moiture from the soil.

Ive got a mix of brassicas and rape that will be put in. Was looking for some other ideas for diversity as well. I have a fair amount of clover down as well, along with corn, beans, sunflower, millet, and oats. Everything together will be about 12 acres

You should focus on maturity dates. For example, PPTs have relatively short maturity dates (@60-80 days). If your first frost is not coming for 100+ days that means planting PPTs now will result in overly mature, woody/fibrous bulbs. Instead, a better choice would be a longer day variety such as Rutabega, which matures closer to 100 days. With Rutabega you can produce forage with better disease resistance, larger and more attractive bulbs.

WR will germinate in the back of a pick-up truck. One decent rain and the clover/PTT will be washed into the soil for good contact. All will also absorb moiture from the soil.

And so will buckwheat!!

I have photos to verify

bill

Got it. Broadcasting that then late September when beans brown out, correct?

I always try to broadcast my WR around labor day weekend. You could do the PTT and clover mid August so that you get some growth on them. As mentioned above, PTT has a 60-80 maturity so you may want look at when you get your 1st frost.

Hard to beat PTT for a cold weather stand (short of beans and corn)

Yes. Seeding rates are a bit higher to compensate, but these particular seeds surface broadcast well. Timing is important. You broadcast the seed after the leaves yellow. Because that are RR beans, there is plenty of bare soil under the canopy where the seeds fall. Then as the leaves from the beans fall, they form sort of a mulch over the seed and help retain moisture. It is a common practice among farmers. Some even broadcast the seed from aircraft.

Deer still have access to the pods on the standing beans. This is more important in the north. In my area, deer only seem to use the pods if there are no acorns. The beans add N to the soil and the CC adds more as it grows and dies. The WR is a great soil builder as well as being very attractive to deer when it is young and supple. In my area, unless there is a mast crop failure, deer don't touch my turnip forage until late; after we get a hard frost or two. That allows good bulb production. In the tail end of our season, deer start hitting the bulbs and really hit them hard after the season. They provide some good OM. The following spring, the CC and WR take off. The WR provides some early spring forage but soon becomes too fibrous to be attractive to deer but by then they have plenty of quality native foods in my area. The CC provides good spring food as well that lasts until you are ready to plant. The WR and CC take up space and resources so fewer weeds take hold until you are ready to plant again.

Farmers use this method for a couple reasons. One is that keeping the ground covered prevents erosion and these crops benefit the soil. They usually have USDA financial incentives for planting a cover crop for this purpose. They are also finding they get better cash crops with less fertilizer using this method.

As it tuns out, these same crops are great for deer. While there are some substantial differences between managing for deer and farming, this is one example of a technique that has benefits for both.

Thanks,

Jack

I won't speak to the actual timing because it depends on the maturity group of the beans an your location. However, the best timing is after the leaves yellow but before they fall. If you broadcast too early when they are green, the seed does not get sufficient light to germinate well. If you wait too late, you are broadcasting on top of the leaves reducing seed/soil contact, again negatively impacting germination. Once the leave yellow they will soon fall. Broadcasting then gives you good seed/soil contact and then the leaves fall on top forming a mulch kind of like throw and mow.

I find it easier to simply watch the beans for yellowing rather then picking a date. However, if you plant the same beans they should yellow roughly the same time in future years.

Thanks,

Jack

Awesome.. thanks much. Will give it a go.

Yes. Seeding rates are a bit higher to compensate, but these particular seeds surface broadcast well. Timing is important. You broadcast the seed after the leaves yellow. Because that are RR beans, there is plenty of bare soil under the canopy where the seeds fall. Then as the leaves from the beans fall, they form sort of a mulch over the seed and help retain moisture. It is a common practice among farmers. Some even broadcast the seed from aircraft.

Deer still have access to the pods on the standing beans. This is more important in the north. In my area, deer only seem to use the pods if there are no acorns. The beans add N to the soil and the CC adds more as it grows and dies. The WR is a great soil builder as well as being very attractive to deer when it is young and supple. In my area, unless there is a mast crop failure, deer don't touch my turnip forage until late; after we get a hard frost or two. That allows good bulb production. In the tail end of our season, deer start hitting the bulbs and really hit them hard after the season. They provide some good OM. The following spring, the CC and WR take off. The WR provides some early spring forage but soon becomes too fibrous to be attractive to deer but by then they have plenty of quality native foods in my area. The CC provides good spring food as well that lasts until you are ready to plant. The WR and CC take up space and resources so fewer weeds take hold until you are ready to plant again.

Farmers use this method for a couple reasons. One is that keeping the ground covered prevents erosion and these crops benefit the soil. They usually have USDA financial incentives for planting a cover crop for this purpose. They are also finding they get better cash crops with less fertilizer using this method.

As it tuns out, these same crops are great for deer. While there are some substantial differences between managing for deer and farming, this is one example of a technique that has benefits for both.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack,
i have read so much of your stuff and im trying it this year for the first time, succeed or not if i ever run into you i owe you a beer!

Jack,
i have read so much of your stuff and im trying it this year for the first time, succeed or not if i ever run into you i owe you a beer!

Thanks, but very little of it is my stuff. Most I learned from others and then adapted to fit my specific property and conditions.

Jack,

Thanks, but very little of it is my stuff. Most I learned from others and then adapted to fit my specific property and conditions.
Helpful and humble, a rare bird indeed. Everyone here seems to be eager to help. It's a nice thing to be a part of. I hope one day I'll know enough to help someone else who is just getting started and they can buy me a beer. :)