What do you think about Russian Olive?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I was walleye fishing with a guy this weekend that said Russian Olive was the ticket for pheasants and grouse. I could swear I heard somewhere that it is also considered invasive in some places. What's everyone's opinion of it?

Good read! I wish they'd have addressed the wildlife benefits or lack thereof. Sounds like MN got it on their hot list of things they want to ban.

I would like to kick the person in the family jewels that started planting it around us, old pasture areas on my property are completely taken over by the stuff. It is okay habitat but gosh does it and it's brother autumn olive take over everything.

I would like to kick the person in the family jewels that started planting it around us, old pasture areas on my property are completely taken over by the stuff. It is okay habitat but gosh does it and it's brother autumn olive take over everything.

Where you at? I won't touch it if it means everything else is gonna get choked out. I fought that battle with basswood in southern MN. I could cut as much as I want, but the deer can only browse down so much once you restart it.

I am in southern il a long way from where your at so take it for what it's worth. I am not sure how long it was growing on my property before I bought it but it has flat taken over a good 15 acres at least. The only thing that will out compete with it is bush honeysuckle.

Apologies for sounding like an "invasive" broken record... my aunt in Omaha, NE has RO. I spend 3 days each summer killing enough to just keep it off the trail she likes to walk through her woods. She's given up on everywhere else. It probably is ok for pheasant and grouse, (and hunting dogs) but no human would want to walk through it (multi-stem, thorns). There are far better alternatives.

From what I gather it is a last resort when nothing else will grow. I'll stay away. Thanks all for the input.

It will get started and take over anything and everything in its path ...very invasive ans aggressive ....do not plant unless that's all u want to have in 20 years

I would not plant it, try plum, it will serve the same purpose and it has fruit. It can be controlled, if needed.

Booner21, what part of S ILL are you in?

Autumn Olive was all the rage in the 60's as a wildlife planting. They put it on a large military base near my home. They are now spending millions trying to control it as it is now popping up everywhere threatening native species. Anytime you deal with a non-native species, be sure you really understand all the consequences.

Thanks,

Jack

I spent all last summer hacking and squirting. . piling it up and burning it out of a 5 acre field
...our neighbors field I s o far gone the only option they have is nuclear to reclaim their fields .....I don't even think deer like it .....turkey and bear will eat it though along with every bird none to man , which is the primary reason it spreads so much ....through bird poop

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yep it's bad stuff, just see a little around here I give it the Crossbow treatment when I spot it.

I don't recall noticing any on my place but it is extremely invasive in Ohio where my farm is and also at home in Pennsylvania. I personally wouldn't encourage its use.

I first planted Cardinal autumn olive 30 years ago. It hasn't spread that much over the years but the last few years I have been planting Ellagood autumn olive that has to be planted from cuttings. I inter plant them in some of the tree rows after reading about ao doubling the growth of black walnut trees on marginal sites. The first and only Russian olive that I planted 35 years ago died. Maybe it's too humid and warm in Arkansas for them. I have seen them growing in the wild of Kyrgyzstan and some feral ones in Texas panhandle

Where you at? I won't touch it if it means everything else is gonna get choked out. I fought that battle with basswood in southern MN. I could cut as much as I want, but the deer can only browse down so much once you restart it.

If you want grassland, wouldn't fire take care of basswood?
I only see basswood in southern Mn. areas where the are is protected from fire. Was it really that invasive?

I don't recall noticing any on my place but it is extremely invasive in Ohio where my farm is and also at home in Pennsylvania. I personally wouldn't encourage its use.
There are a few areas along Interstate 70 in Western Pa that are jungles of the stuff. Acres and acres with nothing but AO.