What do within CRP constraints?

To be clear to everyone, I HAVE to plant the plots by 6/15 and then nothing until the following year (then I HAVE TO spray and mow and plant again) . I am allowed to overseed with the approved crops, including rye and wheat and clover, so this is all kosher. JUST that I can’t mow or spray this August except for noxious weeds.

I’m going to see how much dirt I can see in mid August before deciding whether to do this or not.

Thanks all.

What CRP program are you in that has all these food plot restrictions? My contracts say you must plant an annual food plot? In one case, I asked the FSA if I could plant turnips and they looked at me like I was an alien! I am not sure they would know what is the plot if they did inspect.

I am also interested in what program requires you to plant an annual one acre plot with those specific restrictions?

To your original question, though, this is a trial and error situation for you. No harm in broadcasting some wheat or rye and also some clover if you like. As you mention, it’s cheap and the experiment, even if a “failure” isn’t the end of the world. You could also drill in some wheat and clover if you have some equipment. Not sure if you’re able to use min-till or no-till per your contract, but running some sort of a drill or combo disc/seeder through there might give you better seed to soil contact while knocking down some of the tall stuff.

I'm a sucker. I think ya'll have left some dangling questions about CRP, hoping that all the wiggling will attract a fish. Yes, I'm a fool. Or, a fish. I don't know which. I know I'm not brief, but I'll do my best.

In a general sign-up, open only during a specifically announced time period, land is offered by owners or operators with sufficient control of the land. Those individuals can OFFER their land with certain conservation practices they can select. There are tons of different options. These practices earn points. Also, the environmental character of the land earns points. The more 'environmentally sensitive' the land, the more points it accumulates. Once all the OFFERS are in, they are ranked by points. If the general sign up can accept a million acres, then the OFFERS are accepted by accumulated ranking points until the acreage cap is met. The lesson here is nobody dictated what the landowners or producers offered.

A CP12 is short hand for a food plot. Food plots can only be installed as part of another conservation practice, like grass cover or planted pines. Depending on the sign up, and the policy in effect at the time, only 10% to 20% of the total enrolled acreage can be in food plots.

NRCS is the technical conservation planner. They create job sheets, and depending on where you, are and who you are dealing with there can be a lot of latitude, or not much. Human nature at work. FSA is the administrator. So, if you want to know if you can plant turnips, ask NRCS. If you want to know about the details of the contract from beginning to end, ask FSA.

Now, why do you suppose these food plots are to be planted by, basically, the final planting dates for most crops? And, why would one not be allowed to spray or mow? Think habitat. Wildlife habitat. Nesting season. It's debatable, but a clean food plot is not necessarily the best wildlife habitat. Maybe you want to remove your summer crop and plant a fall crop, but, in a general way, when you do that you destroy habitat. It might not be deer habitat, but it is wildlife habitat. And, in as much as this food plot is enrolled in CRP, it is generating a small but reliable income stream for 10 or 15 years.

I'm a sucker. I think ya'll have left some dangling questions about CRP, hoping that all the wiggling will attract a fish. Yes, I'm a fool. Or, a fish. I don't know which. I know I'm not brief, but I'll do my best.

In a general sign-up, open only during a specifically announced time period, land is offered by owners or operators with sufficient control of the land. Those individuals can OFFER their land with certain conservation practices they can select. There are tons of different options. These practices earn points. Also, the environmental character of the land earns points. The more 'environmentally sensitive' the land, the more points it accumulates. Once all the OFFERS are in, they are ranked by points. If the general sign up can accept a million acres, then the OFFERS are accepted by accumulated ranking points until the acreage cap is met. The lesson here is nobody dictated what the landowners or producers offered.

A CP12 is short hand for a food plot. Food plots can only be installed as part of another conservation practice, like grass cover or planted pines. Depending on the sign up, and the policy in effect at the time, only 10% to 20% of the total enrolled acreage can be in food plots.

NRCS is the technical conservation planner. They create job sheets, and depending on where you, are and who you are dealing with there can be a lot of latitude, or not much. Human nature at work. FSA is the administrator. So, if you want to know if you can plant turnips, ask NRCS. If you want to know about the details of the contract from beginning to end, ask FSA.

Now, why do you suppose these food plots are to be planted by, basically, the final planting dates for most crops? And, why would one not be allowed to spray or mow? Think habitat. Wildlife habitat. Nesting season. It's debatable, but a clean food plot is not necessarily the best wildlife habitat. Maybe you want to remove your summer crop and plant a fall crop, but, in a general way, when you do that you destroy habitat. It might not be deer habitat, but it is wildlife habitat. And, in as much as this food plot is enrolled in CRP, it is generating a small but reliable income stream for 10 or 15 years.

Thanks for this great reply. To the rest of the people, like I said, appreciate the feedback, but I’m basing my question within the bounds of the contract (that we inherited from previous owner), the job sheet for approved wildlife food plots from the local FSA, and conversations with the local FSA.

Thanks for this great reply. To the rest of the people, like I said, appreciate the feedback, but I’m basing my question within the bounds of the contract (that we inherited from previous owner), the job sheet for approved wildlife food plots from the local FSA, and conversations with the local FSA.
Can’t go wrong with trying out a 20 dollar bag of rye and a few bucks in clover. Good luck.

Plant Soybeans every year and top dress with brassica in early August and Rye w/crimson clover late August early September depending on forecast.

Can you spray before 6/15 every year?

What about mowing/maintaining fire breaks? Clover and or small burnett would make a great fire break.

Last edited: