What do within CRP constraints?

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
Hey guys, I’ve got about an acre of plots that HAVE to be in annually by 6/15 and then I can’t really do
anything with them after that per my CRP contract. Here’s my current plan:

I planted buckwheat and sunflowers and a little Sorghum on Memorial Day. They’re coming up nice. If I had my druthers, I’d plant the LC rye mix on Labor Day, spray and drag it all in one day, knocking down the summer plot. Throw and roll, basically.

But since I can’t spray, mow, or roll, would it be a waste to just broadcast rye and clover on Labor Day? I know worst case I’m out some seed and that’s it, rye is cheap. I’m thinking the first frost should wipe out the sunflowers, the buckwheat from Memorial Day will be done by then, maybe the rye gets enough of a foothold to help me in the spring? Would you not bother if the buckwheat doesn’t do a good job smothering weeds? Or would you just buy a couple bags of rye and see what you get? I’m worried there’s going to be warm season grass still alive in the plot which would choke off the rye.

Cliff notes: if you HAD to plant by 6/15 and nothing after, what would you do?

If it’s not weedy and the sorghum isn’t to thick you should be able to grow rye and clover on Labor Day.

If it was me and only an acre I’d do what ever I wanted. No one from NRCS is going to get out of the truck to check on your acre. But that’s just me :) I’ve done dumb things in the past.

If it was me I'd throw and mow mid to late summer and not look back. The person that doesn't come back to check on it isn't going to care anyway in the unlikely event that they show up. And with that said depending on where the plot is, its pretty easy to hide a 1 acre plot when it is surrounded by much taller grasses and such.

bill posted as i was typing

If it’s not weedy and the sorghum isn’t to thick you should be able to grow rye and clover on Labor Day.

If it was me and only an acre I’d do what ever I wanted. No one from NRCS is going to get out of the truck to check on your acre. But that’s just me :) I’ve done dumb things in the past.

OY VEY....

First, CRP isn't a NRCS program. Second, you'd be surprised what can be seen on an aerial image. Third, H80 didn't ask if you thought he should break his contract. I get it. Go ahead. Thumb your nose. I don't know what the terms of the contract are, but two sides agreed to the terms. No one was forced into anything. Money changed hands and, annually, money continues to change hands. Laugh if you want. Yes, some dedicated NRCS people on the ground in H80's community went to the farm, identified a resource concern and developed a plan -- that YOU -- are paying for.

Personally, I don't care. Sometimes the rules seem a little flaky, but, and here's the problem, not everyone in the bureaucracy bends. Discovery of a contract violation can be determined minor, and all can be forgiven is the contract holder restores the conservation practice to it's intended state - without cost share. Or, more flagrant disregard can be cause for termination of the contract. The contract holder is then required to pay back all cost share, practice incentive money, and annual rental payments - with interest. The good news is there is NO PENALTY. But, think of the time wasted on the parts of three parties - the contract holder, the conservationist who designed the practice, and the administrators of the contract. And sometimes, depending on the practices and the acreages involved, the paybacks can be well over six-figures. Now, where's that money going to come from?

OY VEY....

Hey, I ended with “I’ve done dumb things in the past” :emoji_slight_smile:

Exactly why I bought out of the CRP program my farm was in. Luckily it wasn’t large and was only a year in. Cost me $5000 to get out.

Thanks guys.

On one hand, we’re talking one acre of food plots in a 57 acre CRP enrollment, I doubt the penalty would be enforced across 57 acres but I don’t want to ruffle any feathers.

Read your contract. You likely have verbage assigning responsibility to you to control noxious weeds. Sometimes that means mowing. I'd place a call to the bureaucrats that are calling the shots and see what they have to say. Also, you never know when a neighbor may turn you in as well, either for doing something, or not doing something.

Hey, I ended with “I’ve done dumb things in the past” :emoji_slight_smile:

Exactly why I bought out of the CRP program my farm was in. Luckily it wasn’t large and was only a year in. Cost me $5000 to get out.

For the people who don't know, let's be clear, Bill. You paid back $5,000 that had been paid (more or less) to you (or someone preceding you).

For the people who don't know, let's be clear, Bill. You paid back $5,000 that had been paid (more or less) to you (or someone preceding you).
Paid to someone before me. So I paid once in full to refund them and a small percentage in taxes for the original payment.

Ive had what I thought were several "good ideas" when it came to my CRP acres. My NRCS office wont even listen. Even if they agree that they would benefit the land and the wildlife, they refuse to deviate from "the plan".

Im with Bill. On 1 acre... Its a lot easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Im also guilty of doing dumb things, usually based on the principal of doing them.

I don’t want this to come off the wrong way, I appreciate everyone’s feedback and time here. But rather than a debate about the rules, I’d like to get some more feedback about the original question:

If I broadcast rye (and clover) at a super heavy rate, just into the standing buckwheat/sunflowers, if whatever warm season stuff underneath has run it’s course, and we get decent rain, do you think there’s any chance of creating some green browse late fall and next spring? I’m thinking on an acre I’m out like $100 even if it is a failure, so it might be worth gambling.

I would try it. Last fall when I broadcast my rye I didn't have much thatch after mowing. And I've got a very good standright now. As long as you time it with a good rain you should be fine.

I would go heavy on the winter rye, and skip the clover the first year. Get them weeds taken care of first.

I agree with Bill, one acre, you’d have better chance of winning the lottery than the NRCS or FSA worrying about what’s in your food plot.

I’ve had CRP since 1998 and they have never checked my food plots, grass/trees yes, but they are not going to check one acre.

I also am enrolled in the CRP program and it’s a win win for highly erodible land and wildlife. I would not do anything to violate the contract and risk being forced to pay everything back.
I just hunt my CRP areas and enjoy the benefits of owning a piece of ground and making a small check from it.
Over-seeding it with other plants may not be a violation but I would check into it first.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d like to get some more feedback about the original question:

It all comes down to how much soil contact the rye gets. I’ve overseeded clover and other plots with lush green and it kind of fizzled. Over seed clean beans as they start to yellow and looks like a groomed lawn by October. (Weather permitting)

If the rye is on the dirt and gets moisture it will come on. As far as I’m concerned just go ahead and broadcast the clover. Won’t get much growth until next spring but that’s when you want it. (And you can legally spray or mow again??)

It all comes down to how much soil contact the rye gets. I’ve overseeded clover and other plots with lush green and it kind of fizzled. Over seed clean beans as they start to yellow and looks like a groomed lawn by October. (Weather permitting)

If the rye is on the dirt and gets moisture it will come on. As far as I’m concerned just go ahead and broadcast the clover. Won’t get much growuntil next spring but that’s when you want it. (And you can legally spray or mow again??)

To be clear to everyone, I HAVE to plant the plots by 6/15 and then nothing until the following year (then I HAVE TO spray and mow and plant again) . I am allowed to overseed with the approved crops, including rye and wheat and clover, so this is all kosher. JUST that I can’t mow or spray this August except for noxious weeds.

I’m going to see how much dirt I can see in mid August before deciding whether to do this or not.

Thanks all.

To be clear to everyone, I HAVE to plant the plots by 6/15 and then nothing until the following year (then I HAVE TO spray and mow and plant again) . I am allowed to overseed with the approved crops, including rye and wheat and clover, so this is all kosher. JUST that I can’t mow or spray this August except for noxious weeds.

I’m going to see how much dirt I can see in mid August before deciding whether to do this or not.

Thanks all.

If you plant WR & clover by 6/15, the WR will grow and go to seed probably mid to late Aug. That seed it drops will germinate again in the fall so there is no way of knowing if you another bag of WR on the plot to freshen things up.

WR is allelopathic so it will help suppress weeds. As mentioned above, it will green up along with the clover 1st thing in the spring.

I'm pretty sure winter rye won't produce seed unless it goes through a cold dormancy period.