Wetonka apple

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Here is an interesting apple that I got from GRIN to try this year. Distinct leaf shape and it looks like it is going to be a precocious variety (I am sure the pictures shows a fruiting spur). Unless it develops limbs slightly differently, it already has several fruiting spurs. This one tree is probably close to 5' tall just since May. I have a couple more that are in the 3-4' range.Wetonka.JPG Wetonka spur.JPG

Cool looking apple tree!

What is the history of the wetonka apple. I Could not find any info on it

I think that is one of Hansen's varieties.

PI 589622. Malus hybrid Wetonka. Pedigree - Nevis Minnesota wild crab x Wolf River apple; sibling: Wecota Intro: 1929. Comments:: Fruit: 2" across oblate, solid bright red over yellow-green ground; dots yellow, distinct; skin unctuous; basin wide, slightly wrinkled; cavity shallow, obtuse, green. Tube cylindrical, stamens marginal. Flesh acid, solid, not very acerb, does not cook up; neutral flavor. Tree: heavy bearer. A winter crab for the FAR NORTH, freezing improves quality.

Yes chickenlittle has the correct description.

I first heard about this tree from @sandbur. Supposed to be a very northern hardy crab with decent size, so I added it to my Grin order this year. :)

Thanks for the pics TC!

What is that scugog looking like @Turkey Creek? Anything about that one out of the norm? Seemed to be a pretty good sized apple for a redflesh.

What is that scugog looking like @Turkey Creek? Anything about that one out of the norm? Seemed to be a pretty good sized apple for a redflesh.
Nothing out of the ordinary at this point.

I grafted a handful of the Nevis crab crosses and had luck with only a couple of them. I can't remember if Wetonka was one of them that took. I also tried afew of the Elk River ioensis crosses.

Turkey Creek-is it showing any CAR?

Turkey Creek-is it showing any CAR?
No but I just grafted it this year, I rarely have current seasons grafted trees show CAR as they tend to miss the infection "window" before pushing much growth.

I have the same outcome as sanbur, but I think wetonka was one that survived all those nevis crosses are ineresting

I have to give Lee credit for pointing these Nevis crosses out to me.

I checked some of my top works on flowering crabs and Wetonka, plus two other Nevis crabs took. I have a couple more flowering crabs to check.

I also ate my first 2 kerr crabs, today.

Thought I'd bump this up from page #42.

Anyone have this one growing ?? Wetonka. TC had some pix from 2016. It's supposed to be very cold-hardy. I think Sandbur had grafted some Wetonka too.
I wondered how the Wetonka's are coming along, how they taste, how big the fruit are, etc.

Thought I'd bump this up from page #42.

Anyone have this one growing ?? Wetonka. TC had some pix from 2016. It's supposed to be very cold-hardy. I think Sandbur had grafted some Wetonka too.
I wondered how the Wetonka's are coming along, how they taste, how big the fruit are, etc.
Mine set maybe a half dozen apples (very young tree) last year, size of a golf ball. I tried them at varying times and they werent an edible human apple as far as I was concerned. I left a couple on the tree and they hung well into winter. Mine bloomed again this spring.

I need to take a Look, but might have had some fruit spurs on it if I remember from pruning time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regrafted Wetonka this year as last year didn't take!

I think that is one of Hansen's varieties.

PI 589622. Malus hybrid Wetonka. Pedigree - Nevis Minnesota wild crab x Wolf River apple; sibling: Wecota Intro: 1929. Comments:: Fruit: 2" across oblate, solid bright red over yellow-green ground; dots yellow, distinct; skin unctuous; basin wide, slightly wrinkled; cavity shallow, obtuse, green. Tube cylindrical, stamens marginal. Flesh acid, solid, not very acerb, does not cook up; neutral flavor. Tree: heavy bearer. A winter crab for the FAR NORTH, freezing improves quality.

This fruit isn’t 2 inches. It is tacked on a limb on a flowering crab and on NE side. Not a great location. It is also showing a bit of disease, but I was standing on a bucket to try and reach an apple. I need to get a better look at it.

I started another thread.
f06d90f774c714ba5b3fd1ab20b70fff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting. That came from GRIN?

Is that thing ribbed all the way around? Or am I seeing things?