All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wet Field

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Does this make any sense? I have couple acre opening in the woods which is relatively flat but somewhat has high and low spots. There is no place to drain the water to with traditional methods, so my question is if you dug in a pond could you dry out the surrounding area by ditching into the pond. My thinking was that the pond water level would always be a little below surface. Maybe it makes no sense but I was just trying to think of ways to make the majority of the opening useable. This area isn't wetlands but it is just that the lower areas stay soggy a little longer than I would like.

Have you considered putting in drain tile? The pond idea might work, but if the pond fills up it could fill your backflow into your ditches and possibly make it worse. You would have to have a way to drain the pond if it filled up, such as a over flow. A good dozer operator could get it to drain most likely. If you start in the lowest spot and carry the material to the high spot you should maintain good drainage.

Reactions: kl9
Well this is flat ground with no discharge point is the problem. I guess that it would not work at all when getting heavy precip. I just thought maybe it would help dry out a little quicker. Now that I think about it, probably not worth the effort.

If you can crown the area - that might help. Get a dozer or the like in there to essentially make the center of the area the high point with a gradual grade in each direction out toward the edge. This may keep you dry and shed excess water as well.

I agree with J---bird but some photos would help. I deal with heavy equipment and drainage issues weekly. Sometimes folks really use good common sense and can figure it out. Other times they want a valley with 4000 foot mountains on three sides to stay bone dry.