Went Shopping for Box Blinds today......

foggy

5 year old buck +
Was raining (again) today.....so my BIL and I went shopping for Box Blinds in the Amish country. Scoped out 4 different locally-made blinds. All were build to be placed on furnished 8' high treated "towers".....and all were 5 x 5' size. Lots of folks using similar, but somewhat different qualities. Some variables in materials and big variables in windows, hex vs square, etc. Prices ranged from $695 to 1295 for the highest quality model (having the best windows and a shingled roof). Low enough prices that it doesn't pay to build one (?).

I really want to buy a Redneck blind....but it seems hard to part with so much denara for their product.....and only use it for a few days each year.

I'm considering adding two axels to the best stand above.....so I can put wheels on it and move it about - anywhere needed on my land. (I already have the wheels and axel situation covered - from an old boat lift.)

If I decide to go ahead, I will post some pictures of my "conversion". I think it would be a pretty slick project for my needs....as well as others on the forum - if you have good trails or farm land to use it on.

Hard to pull the trigger on another box blind.

Great idea on making it portable! Personally, I say you should pull the trigger on this purchase!

Great idea on making it portable! Personally, I say you should pull the trigger on this purchase!
Yep. I like the portable aspect for a blind.....so that I can try a few different things.....then locate a permanent stand after the location "proves-out". I've moved a few of my box blinds multiple times.....and it is a royal PITA to take them down and put 'em up.....not to mention dangerous at times. :eek: I don't run as fast as I used to. ;)

Maybe if I locate that perfect stand placement.....I will put a Redneck blind there. I got six box blinds for my family member use now. I think two more is about the limit for my needs.

I have never tried one of the black corrugated plastic looking blinds that are real light, but that seems like that would be a great light stand for a portable blind.
Seems like it would have to be a lot easier to move around.

I've got a 4x8 blind to move yet this summer. I'm going to have one guy at each leg while I use the excavator bucket with boards running underneath the blind. It's gonna be tricky as we have to do some maneuvering through the woods.

I just ordered windows and wood for our blinds to do this summer. We should have about 550-600 in them when it is all said and done. There isn't anyone here locally that builds them.

I would never pay $600 for a box blind. A few sheets of 1/2 plywood and some 2x4s and you have a 4'X4' box blind. Alot more scrap if you make it 5' wide, but I like that added room. If you wanna get fancy, plexi glass, reject vinyl siding from Menards and a sheet of tin makes everything waterproof, for a few bucks more. At those prices I should get into selling these things. Maybe I can get a TV show like that nut job that builds tree houses.
There's retired running gear from hay wagons, gravity boxes and chopper boxes rotting all over this country, and you could be a hero for removing the junk.

I have never tried one of the black corrugated plastic looking blinds that are real light, but that seems like that would be a great light stand for a portable blind.
Seems like it would have to be a lot easier to move around.

I've got four of the rotomolded plastic blinds with six windows. All are mounted on 4x4 legs and work out pretty well. All have "trap doors". A "good deal" for my needs at the time (plentiful blinds for family). I paid about $500 each for them plus about $150 worth of lumber. They have worked quite well......however, it's really hard to sneak in through a trap door. And, the trap door makes you move all your gear around each time you enter or leave. Also, I am 67 years old. It doesn't get any easier to crawl thru a hole in the floor while toting gear these days.....not to mention 10 years down the trail. ;)

Dipper: I don't mind paying a bit more for a blind that I can access a bit more safely / easily. As they say....."you can't take it with you." Years ago I was too "tight" to pay for a ladder stand. I crafted my own out of lumber and later out of a discarded extension ladder. Saved a few bucks....sure. But I won't go that route anymore. It's what money is for. :) .....and I have crafted my own box blinds too. It takes allot of time to make a good one....and I doubt you will save any substantial money over the boughten blinds....if you compare apples to apples. :oops:

I've got four of the rotomolded plastic blinds with six windows. All are mounted on 4x4 legs and work out pretty well. All have "trap doors". A "good deal" for my needs at the time (plentiful blinds for family). I paid about $500 each for them plus about $150 worth of lumber. They have worked quite well......however, it's really hard to sneak in through a trap door. And, the trap door makes you move all your gear around each time you enter or leave. Also, I am 67 years old. It doesn't get any easier to crawl thru a hole in the floor while toting gear these days.....not to mention 10 years down the trail. ;)

Dipper: I don't mind paying a bit more for a blind that I can access a bit more safely / easily. As they say....."you can't take it with you." Years ago I was too "tight" to pay for a ladder stand. I crafted my own out of lumber and later out of a discarded extension ladder. Saved a few bucks....sure. But I won't go that route anymore. It's what money is for. :) .....and I have crafted my own box blinds too. It takes allot of time to make a good one....and I doubt you will save any substantial money over the boughten blinds....if you compare apples to apples. :oops:

I agree with this. Yes, you can make your own much cheaper but I've hunted out of those cheap home built types and I've hunted out of the good quality design and there is no comparison . Plus there is the time factor.

I guess I am at that point where I have more time than money (I still have kids at home so sometimes both are in short supply). I make mine out of reclaimed pallets and whatever else I can find. They look more like a meth lab or a hobo's shack more than anything else, but they work. This is the first one. The second one is a better design, but no pics. No glass windows, just hinged covers, elevated on old scaffolding I had and the roof is old barn siding. I got more out of pocket money in the hinges and the like than anyting else. I see Foggy's point - smoke'm if you got'm Foggy!!!
shooting house.JPG

If I ever build one it will have the landing platform at the top of the ladder for safe and easy access.

If I ever build one it will have the landing platform at the top of the ladder for safe and easy access.
Here I thought you were going to say "landing platform at the top so I can be dropped off by drone":eek:;)

Here I thought you were going to say "landing platform at the top so I can be dropped off by drone":eek:;)
Nope not that high tech. Plus I enjoy the still hunting walk to and from the stand. My hunt begins as soon as the camper door (or window ;)) opens.

Anybody have one of the Maverick blnds, they look pretty decent for the price. I have never seen one in person but they look easier to setup and a nice design. A good blind in late fall, in Minnesota and with farm country winds is worth quite allot and even more the older I get.

Anybody have one of the Maverick blnds, they look pretty decent for the price. I have never seen one in person but they look easier to setup and a nice design. A good blind in late fall, in Minnesota and with farm country winds is worth quite allot and even more the older I get.

I think they look OK. But the oval windows concern me. Just not sure you would have a good site picture and may miss some shots or seeing some deer.

If I was buying today this is what I would get. Price is still resonable. Window design is awesome.

http://www.banksoutdoors.com/products/stump-one-man/

FF has them for $849

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/banks-outdoors-stump-1-man-tower-deer-stand/0000000066103

Agree the windows cound be concern, I would like to see one before I judge.

I have a Banks 3NBR and it is a good blind. The one you provided the link for is a 1 person and very small. I have a 3 person and it fits one large man with gear perfect. It cost me $1,250 before extras and about $1500 OTD last year. If I was to buy one of the stumps again I would cut my own carpet, insulation and window blinds as they are nothing special and not worth the $250.

Agree the windows cound be concern, I would like to see one before I judge.

I have a Banks 3NBR and it is a good blind. The one you provided the link for is a 1 person and very small. I have a 3 person and it fits one large man with gear perfect. It cost me $1,250 before extras and about $1500 OTD last year. If I was to buy one of the stumps again I would cut my own carpet, insulation and window blinds as they are nothing special and not worth the $250.
I sat in the 1 man at FF and thought it would be OK for one guy. Maybe not?

Once you jump up to the next size up the cost starts getting up there as you said.

Huge benefit. ^ Both in safety and ease of entry / exit. I want to add these platforms to some existing blinds I have.....if I find the time. Should be pretty easy to do so.....by using the metal joist hangers from Menards and a little decking.

Here a pic of my platform on my shadow hunter. I used joist hangers. I'm putting rails on it this year sometime.

^ Nice work Tooln. Did you put any supports from the "deck" to the 4x4 legs? .....or use the ladder to help support the weight?