Weed Whackers

These blades don't need to be all that sharp to be effective either. Rather than sitting there trying to "saw" it, just cram the full speed blade into the trunk. You'll be surprised how much better it works utilizing the flywheel inertia.

Chummer ,

Did you mix any stabilizer in the ethanol gas? We add it for our chainsaws and trimmers. Our small engine repair guy sees a lot of chainsaws and trimmers come thru his shop due to the ethanol.
I didn't for a couple years and had a few problems. I started using the stabilizer but I think the damage was already done. Now I use ethanol free and have not had an issue since.

Looks like you already got the info you needed. If anyone else is interested, I had the FS 110 for several years. It was great on grass and small brush (three point blade) , but just wasn't up to doing small trees with a cutting blade. I've had a Stihl FS 460 with a carbide blade for about 3 years. It's a tree eating machine. Will cut up to 2" on one pass, 3+" with several hits.

I tried all the Stihl blades. The scratcher works as well as any on trees, but only lasts about 4 hrs of continuous cutting (sandy/rocky soil). The after market carbide blade is on it's 6th full day of use and is still going strong (though missing a couple of teeth). As I recall, the carbide blade was nearly the same price as the scratcher. Search for carbide brush cutter blades. I've seen posts elsewhere that talk about using a carbide circular saw blade. Please don't do that as they aren't designed for the speeds or impacts of a brush cutter.

I used a blade on a loop handle while I was figuring things out, but I won't ever do it again. It was just too easy to slip, trip, or slide a foot into that blade or recoil the blade into me. With a handlebar and harness there's much less fatigue and it's extremely difficult to get any part of my body near those spinning carbide teeth.

I also experienced performance/maintenance issues when ethanol came on the scene. I will not use ethanol gas in my small engines. I have another post here praising my Stihl tools - I have no interst in Stihl (or carbide blades) other than a very satisfied customer sharing good experience. I wish I'd found these forums years ago.

The 2 cycle oil I use has fuel stabilizer already in it. Why add more?

I've had zero issues with mixed gas going bad, and I use the cheap wally world 2 cycle synthetic oil. The stuff I'm using now is from October.

Here's what my stihl blade looks like:
IMAG11041.jpg

I don't sharpen it - it's not needed. This will go through a 2.5" trunk almost instantly with the right technique. Or, you can sit there making smoke trying to "cut" with it.

Looks like you already got the info you needed. If anyone else is interested, I had the FS 110 for several years. It was great on grass and small brush (three point blade) , but just wasn't up to doing small trees with a cutting blade. I've had a Stihl FS 460 with a carbide blade for about 3 years. It's a tree eating machine. Will cut up to 2" on one pass, 3+" with several hits.

I tried all the Stihl blades. The scratcher works as well as any on trees, but only lasts about 4 hrs of continuous cutting (sandy/rocky soil). The after market carbide blade is on it's 6th full day of use and is still going strong (though missing a couple of teeth). As I recall, the carbide blade was nearly the same price as the scratcher. Search for carbide brush cutter blades. I've seen posts elsewhere that talk about using a carbide circular saw blade. Please don't do that as they aren't designed for the speeds or impacts of a brush cutter.

I used a blade on a loop handle while I was figuring things out, but I won't ever do it again. It was just too easy to slip, trip, or slide a foot into that blade or recoil the blade into me. With a handlebar and harness there's much less fatigue and it's extremely difficult to get any part of my body near those spinning carbide teeth.

I also experienced performance/maintenance issues when ethanol came on the scene. I will not use ethanol gas in my small engines. I have another post here praising my Stihl tools - I have no interst in Stihl (or carbide blades) other than a very satisfied customer sharing good experience. I wish I'd found these forums years ago.

Hello Kskid, Thanks for the info on the after market carbide blade...;)

Hi 2ndHand. Glad to be able to offer something useful in return for all the good info I've picked up from these forums.