Weed Whackers

This is the one I have picked out as of now.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/professional-trimmers/fs110/

Its MSRP is $399. Ouch.

fs110.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the stihl fs110 with the bike handle. I use it for trimming around the house and cutting trails up north. Be careful with those saw blades though, i don't even want to think about how long it would take to take off a leg.

I have the stihl fs110 with the bike handle. I use it for trimming around the house and cutting trails up north. Be careful with those saw blades though, i don't even want to think about how long it would take to take off a leg.

How do you like it? Pros and cons? Would you buy it again?

I hate husky chain saws. I used to work for a developer and we cleared approx 80 acres for a subdivision. I watched stihl saws run circles around husky for a yr straight. I can confidently say they are not in the same league as a stihl in reliability and toughness. Boths saws were brand new when we started so it was a fair comparison. I can only assume their trimmers would fair the same...

How do you like it? Pros and cons? Would you buy it again?

I just ran out to the garage to check. Mine is actually the fs90. I don't remember the difference between the 90 and the 110, motor size i assume. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured and I swear i paid that god awful price above (400). I would buy it again. It gets a ton of use. Works great as a trimmer around the house and for cutting brush. Switching between the two only takes about 5 minutes. As with most stuff from stihl, the only real negative is the price.

In my opinion the bicycle handles are the only way to go when using the cutting blade. they are safer and way easier to control

I just ran out to the garage to check. Mine is actually the fs90. I don't remember the difference between the 90 and the 110, motor size i assume. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured and I swear i paid that god awful price above (400). I would buy it again. It gets a ton of use. Works great as a trimmer around the house and for cutting brush. Switching between the two only takes about 5 minutes. As with most stuff from stihl, the only real negative is the price.

In my opinion the bicycle handles are the only way to go when using the cutting blade. they are safer and way easier to control

The FS 90 is the little bit smaller and environmentally better motor they say. Looks like it lists at $369. Have you had any trouble with power at all? $30 doesn't seem like a lot for a little bit bigger motor IMO when you are spending that much.

I hate husky chain saws. I used to work for a developer and we cleared approx 80 acres for a subdivision. I watched stihl saws run circles around husky for a yr straight. I can confidently say they are not in the same league as a stihl in reliability and toughness. Boths saws were brand new when we started so it was a fair comparison. I can only assume their trimmers would fair the same...

I had a friend show up to a camp one time with a Husky saw and he could not get it started. Anbd the thing was like brand new. My Shihl saw has always treated me well.

I had a friend show up to a camp one time with a Husky saw and he could not get it started. Anbd the thing was like brand new. My Shihl saw has always treated me well.

I had just the opposite. If you purchase a Stihl make sure you get their Pro model weather it be chain saw or trimmer. There is a difference in how well they will stand up. A friend of mine bought Stihl chainsaw from dealer, after bringing it back 3 times the dealer upgraded him to a pro model and his problems were solved. I have heard the same thing on Husqvarna's that are sold in Big box stores. In order to keep prices down they are speced slightly different to keep the prices down and profit margins up for the Big Box stores. I know for sure that the older Stihls and Huskys were much better built and durable then the ones they are selling today.

I have a Stihl FS 130 with bike bars had it around 8 years ,use it with the blade on it and with trimmer line. It has a lot of use on it between my camp property in Vermont and here at home in Ma. It works good never had a problem with it.

I had just the opposite. If you purchase a Stihl make sure you get their Pro model weather it be chain saw or trimmer. There is a difference in how well they will stand up. A friend of mine bought Stihl chainsaw from dealer, after bringing it back 3 times the dealer upgraded him to a pro model and his problems were solved. I have heard the same thing on Husqvarna's that are sold in Big box stores. In order to keep prices down they are speced slightly different to keep the prices down and profit margins up for the Big Box stores. I know for sure that the older Stihls and Huskys were much better built and durable then the ones they are selling today.
Yeah the one I have selected above is a pro model. Solid steel shaft. I would not get the cheap home models with just the braided cable.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have 2 huskys that will outrun most saws any day of the week. My P65 is as old as me and still runs better than my Dad's Stihl. The key to a good runner is maintenance and modification especially with all the eco friendly crap out there.

I have Stihl products - for weed/brush cutting I have a FS 130 with steel blade attachment and harness. For all the gas powered stuff at the farm - I buy premium at Cenex - no ethanol included.

The FS 90 is the little bit smaller and environmentally better motor they say. Looks like it lists at $369. Have you had any trouble with power at all? $30 doesn't seem like a lot for a little bit bigger motor IMO when you are spending that much.

honestly, if i could do it over again i'd pay the 30 and get a bigger motor. however, i've had no issues with power. it's just such a small price to pay to upgrade. mine has been flawless though. haven't had a single issue and always starts easily.

I just got the call this morning. My FS110 is in. Can't wait to go pick it up!!!

IMG_4232_zpsfe4570f7.jpg

IMG_4231_zpscef65ae9.jpg

I've got an old stihl D handle I run a blade on for light brush. I'd like it a lot better if it had the bike handles.

I think you're going to love that 110. they are great for making trails in the woods. i actually sold my brush hog after getting my fs90. i can cut through thicker wood w/ the fs90 and i can be more precise about what gets cut than with a brush hog. obviously it's much much slower but i never had much to mow anyway.

just be careful with that thing when the saw blade is on. scary!

Now if I can just figure out how to mount the darn saw blade. I bought the stuff they said I needed. But its not really making sense.

You have to take the whip head off the arbor and mount the saw direct.

You have to take the whip head off the arbor and mount the saw direct.

I am aware of that. I got it now. Took it in and they showed me what goes where.