Waterfowl

Yesterday was our last day of goose season, set up on the lake water to front field in back. Lots of gloldeneyes buzzing down the shore line all morning and some even dropped in for a visit.

fqKVXcU.jpg

A curious fox

eINN7ic.jpg

elBDZBo.jpg

Cool to see the fox. I shot a mangy old coyote that charged our decoys once, maybe the first case of mange I ever saw now that I think of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cool to see the fox. I shot a mangy old coyote that charged our decoys once, maybe the first case of mange I ever saw now that I think of it.

Over the years we have had a few fox and coyotes come by close while goose hunting, twice we have had deer run through the decoys.

Over the years we have had a few fox and coyotes come by close while goose hunting, twice we have had deer run through the decoys.
Cool!
I was fortunate enough to watch a bobcat spend the better part of half an hour sneaking up on a flock of woodies on a spring in the woods. She pounced and came up empty. I swear she looked embarrassed as she shook her paws off.

Were the barrels mostly for geese

Yes ... found that ducks would nest in cans with higher sides; suspect it is because ducks usually canopy (nest under vegetation) to escape/avoid avian predators. Canada geese, on the other hand, typically nest pretty much in the open (maybe along a bush or other vegetation).

Besides the Delta Waterfowl "hen houses" ... grass encased in a roll of wire and mounted on a post (your #170 post above BD), most of my nesting structures involved the end 1/3 of either metal or plastic 55-gal drums. Metal is better; the sun (UV rays) break down plastic and it cracks. I used metal shears to cut the metal barrels (slices through them like butter) and drilled drain holes in the bottom of the "can." I mounted these barrel nesting cans on a bunch of different floating items - as a base - including sections of telephone poles with 4 X 4 treated lumber base on top of the 2 parallel poles bolted together with L-shaped pieces of steel, pallets stuffed with styrofoam, custom made 2' X 4' pieces of roofing styrofoam wrapped in coil stock, and inflated truck tires (tires didn't work very well - ride too low in the water). In addition, I hung them on poles driven into the bottom of the lake/pond and I lag bolted some to trees that were in the water. If you get the nest off the bank and in the water, your predation from mammals goes way down. I used wood chips and straw for nesting materials; the taller the sides of the can, the less problem I seemed to have with avian predators. Biggest problem .... lots of different fish (muskies, bass, flatheads, etc) like to eat very small geese.
So if I mount wood duck boxes on poles in the deeper water, such as over 2 ft, should I bother with a predator shield? and how close can I mount them to each other? Same questions for geese.

Delta has by far the best info out there.I am going for 3ft above water close to cattails.That is true from what I read most don't use guards if in water.I am going to use 7ft green post driven in the bottom and then cutting another in half and bolting it on if needed to get extra height.These green post are oly around 7.00 from Lowes.I made PVC mounts that will bolt onto these posts.I think it will be fine.I am using the same post for my wood duck boxes.The mallard tubes can be mounted close to each other,I haven't found info exactly how close but the I am putting a couple no more than 15 ft apart.You shouldn't do this with boxes though as the wood ducks need to be out of view of each other

If you have rat snakes - I would definitely attach predator shields if mounted on poles even in deeper water.

I would mount on poles in at least 3.5' water; woodies like secluded coves where they are less likely to be disturbed. I always mount them as high as I possibly can since they seem to like the height (might help with the rat snake potential problem SC mentioned although I have never had that problem). If you have a shortage of more secluded spots, you can double up by placing more than one nesting structure in one area. Try to get them as far apart as possible and I never had them face each other. I've even seen condo arrangements with 2 boxes side-by-side or one box on top of another; my guess is success rate goes down for both boxes but I have no personal experience.

Years ago, it was believed geese were very territorial with regard to nesting areas; however, I've seen islands - representing prime nesting areas - in lakes where hens nested within 15' of each other.... some biologists believe it reflects hens who allow their daughters to nest reasonably close to them. For floating or pole-mounted goose cans in water, I'd give them as much space as possible. Best of luck with your nesting efforts,

Last edited:
We used chain link fence top rails. 3 pieces make two posts. One entire length driven in, then cut another in half. Attach the half pole to the box using u-bolts, and slide it on top of the post mounted in the pond. Makes it easy to remove the box if needed. We also added predator guards to the main post.

We used chain link fence top rails. 3 pieces make two posts. One entire length driven in, then cut another in half. Attach the half pole to the box using u-bolts, and slide it on top of the post mounted in the pond. Makes it easy to remove the box if needed. We also added predator guards to the main post.[/QUOTE

So if the poles are the same diameter, how does one slide over the other?

I thought about top rail because I think I need closer to 10ft didn't know if it had to much sway

Anyone hunting waterfowl with 20ga? If so, what size shot seems to work best?

I looked into that, and it didn't seem appropriate for hunting mallards and geese in January. If you are going to do it, I think the shot size related to the shot material would be the same for each bird. Just make sure your velocities/energies are high enough, and check your patterns.

I was using steel shot, and it comes out fast but slows down rather quickly. 40 yards is absolute maximum for the loads I was shooting.

I used steel BB shot for geese and steel #2 for mallards.

I got hay in the mallard tubes today,all thats left is to fill inside and mount to polesduck tubes.jpg

1's and 2's for waterfowl with a 20. I've switched over to a 12 gauge but used a 20 for a long time. Scout, camo well, and stay in your range and you'll be fine. I have a friend who hunts geese with a .410... head shoots them and is great at it.

I looked into that, and it didn't seem appropriate for hunting mallards and geese in January. If you are going to do it, I think the shot size related to the shot material would be the same for each bird. Just make sure your velocities/energies are high enough, and check your patterns.

I was using steel shot, and it comes out fast but slows down rather quickly. 40 yards is absolute maximum for the loads I was shooting.

I used steel BB shot for geese and steel #2 for mallards.

I do most of my duck hunting in the month of oct, sometimes into November. I have a Stoeger 3500 that I’ve been using for geese and probably will continue for that.

I have sloppy mechanics when I shoot a lot of consecutive rounds... that gun ends up doing a number on shoulder bicep area which normally then takes 10 days or so to heal. Hunting multiple times a week sometimes... you guys get the idea. I was thinking about buying a Winchester sx4 20ga and shooting number 4’s in like heavy metal or heavy steal. With the anticipation of making it my duck hunting gun. Seems like most ducks we end up going after are wood ducks. With an occasional mallard mixed in. I think I’d have to get better are decoying them in though with that gun... that’s not a bad thing though and probably something I need to focus on anyway.

3s all day every day. I carry my 20 ga more than my 12. It does fine on mallards and geese.
20191230_114118.jpg

Attachments

• 20191230_114118.jpg
    20191230_114118.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 4